• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning and setting up Selmi enrobing line

lironp

I've had my selmi legend for 2 years now, and when I bought it I also bought the enrobing line but have always been too terrified to use it, mostly because I don't know how to clean and store it between usages- 

Do you clean off all the chocolate every time? If not, how do you start it without causing damage to the chains? Any other advice before I dive in?

6 minutes ago, lironp said:

I've had my selmi legend for 2 years now, and when I bought it I also bought the enrobing line but have always been too terrified to use it, mostly because I don't know how to clean and store it between usages- 

Do you clean off all the chocolate every time? If not, how do you start it without causing damage to the chains? Any other advice before I dive in?

Hot air gun - you go out of temper before you finish - after you disconnect the flow - you keep the chain moving and hit with the heat gun until you remove as much chocolate as possible. Before starting the chain again - heat with the heat gun until the chocolate is clearly melted before turning back on the chain. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hot air gun - you go out of temper before you finish - after you disconnect the flow - you keep the chain moving and hit with the heat gun until you remove as much chocolate as possible. Before starting the chain again - heat with the heat gun until the chocolate is clearly melted before turning back on the chain. 

Thanks! How long would you say this whole thing takes for each stage?

16 minutes ago, lironp said:

Thanks! How long would you say this whole thing takes for each stage?

Hmmm - probably 30 minutes each end. Might want to set up some sort of holder for the heater so that you can let it do it's thing without having the hold it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)