• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Persimmons

Kikujiro

Hey @Kim Shook, what's up with your persimmons?  

I usually buy Fuyu, which can be eaten when they are still firm and crisp but at last week's farmers market, I also bought some Hachiya because I want to make some persimmon sorbet or ice cream and I've read that Hachiya are the better choice for that purpose. 

I bought the 4 Fuyu on the left 2 weeks ago and they've been sitting at room temp since.  Two of them are starting to soften, the other 2 are still pretty hard.  They'd all be fine to eat.

IMG_4596.thumb.jpeg.2f4285b680ad72e75672046ea908da9e.jpeg

The Hachiya's have been on the counter for one week.  The two lower and smaller Hachiya's on the right are very soft, kinda like water balloons.  While the farmer assured me that they'd all be ready in a week, the other 2 are just starting to soften at the bottom ends but still firm at the top and need more time. I'm not concerned about any of the black spots or marks on the skin. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Love them when I can find them. A unique flavor and I like the texture which I know puts some people off 

But that is the great divide between the 2 types. El musho - not me - the firm spicy one - yes me

• 2 years later...

It's persimmon season here so I decided to try Andy Baraghani's Persimmons with Torn Burrata and Fresh Lemon, from his book, The Cook You Want To Be with some nice crisp Fuyus.

Kind of a fall take on a Caprese salad.  I made a big platter of this for a ladies lunch yesterday and it was well received.  Very easy to put together and looks bright and sunny on the table.

66CAC268-26A5-4C9F-B4DD-EA0EDB9A8E48_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4625b476ae4c7af8d3e721af8d1645d9.jpeg

The finely cut lemon pieces and juice get tossed with a spoonful of honey, a pinch of salt and toasted pistachios.  A drizzle of olive oil goes on at the end.

• Like 4

Persimmons range in cost around here from 79 cents (TJ’s) to $2 each (supermarket ripoff). When I was at the Asian market the other day, they had flats of them on sale for $10, which is a pretty good deal…I’m tempted.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 11/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We eat Fuyus rock hard, Hachiyas when they are almost liquid.  

There is a very simple trick.

When hachiyas gets very soft (but still astringent), all you have to do is freeze it for 24 hours, thaw and enjoy.

dcarch

• Like 1