• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2009: Green Cooking at Home

While reading about Green Restaurants I wondered what efforts Society members are making at home to address these important issues. It's an enormous question -- every food decision we make has some effect or our environment. What we buy, when we buy it, how we bring it home, how we store it, how we cook, how we eat, what we do with the leftovers, the packaging, etc.

Some of these discussions are older than others. What are the good things, large or small, people are doing now?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

One thing we have done is switch from an electric conventional cooktop to a much, much more efficient induction cooktop. An added bonus is that it is also a much, much better cooktop.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

One thing we have done is switch from an electric conventional cooktop to a much, much more efficient induction cooktop. An added bonus is that it is also a much, much better cooktop.

It's a very nice way to cook. My next kitchen will have induction.

Energy consumption in the kitchen is worth looking at. The people at Oster® have created a tv show to showcase their appliances, and they have numbers to suggest energy can be saved by using the small more efficient products. I agree in principle, but going out and buying a dozen new kitchen gizmos cannot be the answer.

Moe Sizlack

For me this is about lots of small changes.

In terms of packaging and containers, I re-purpose as much as I can. Also since I do not buy many processed items- that alone eliminates loads of wasted materials and energy- a mind boggling mess.

Energy expended for heat: I have gas and a Weber kettle. At a minimum I listen to my grandmother's frugal immigrant voice and do not waste residual heat or oven space.

As to food itself, I grow what I can. Mostly herbs, loads of greens, and am working on the usual summer stuff: tomato, corn, zucchini, green beans, peppers, cucumber and some lettuces. I also share and start bartering arrangements. I can not use all the chard, but I can pass it on with some recipes. My elderly neighbors have a lime, calamansi, and lemon tree. I have free picking rights, and in return I help them out in other ways. Another neighbor I did not know recently called me in response to a sign about a missing tortoise, and the conversation came around to sharing citrus, plus she has a nectarine that is prolific, they will be out of the country during the season and I was given access. All this may seem small, but it means I am buying less, everyone is wasting less, and we all benefit.

The Klatsch topic "A week without shopping" had a big impact on my impulse buying and my view of ingredients at hand.

I struggle with the cost/benefit of a paper towel versus a cotton towel- one in the waste, and the other having to be rinsed with soap and washed- where does the relative green benefit come in.

At a minimum the discussion and awareness must be making a small impact, so I will eagerly read and learn.

One small thing which we have done is to use two compost pails. One pail is saved for our neighbors who raise sheep. Sheep will eat almost anything. The second pail is for the few things sheep don't eat: coffee grains and seeds and pits of all kinds.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I could do much, much, better but one thing I'm trying to improve is to eat the food I buy. With all the spoilage I probably have the world's most expensive compost.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

A few more things: as mentioned by others, we compost; bring our own bags to the farmers market and supermarket; buy milk from a local dairy in reusable glass containers; use natural, compostable charcoal.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I could do much, much, better but one thing I'm trying to improve is to eat the food I buy.  With all the spoilage I probably have the world's most expensive compost.

Ding! We have a (one of several) winner. I think that's an critical point: eat it up, all of it, and plan quantity carefully.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I could do much, much, better but one thing I'm trying to improve is to eat the food I buy.  With all the spoilage I probably have the world's most expensive compost.

Ding! We have a (one of several) winner. I think that's an critical point: eat it up, all of it, and plan quantity carefully.

A better point would be to buy only the food that one is going to eat. I wish I could train myself to do that as I have a greater tendency to eat as much of what I buy as I can and I buy too much.

Twitter - @docsconz

For me this is about lots of small changes.

In terms of packaging and containers, I re-purpose as much as I can. Also since I do not buy many processed items- that alone eliminates loads of wasted materials and energy- a mind boggling mess.

Good point heidih. I'd rather just not bring the packaging home . . . although . . . that empty burlap basmati sack would make a handsome handbag. :biggrin:

There's lots of reasons not to buy processed food items -- including the packaging. Some of those waxy thick card boxes for frozen hamburgers, chicken balls, etc. look like fire-rated safes. Farm markets and bulk foods stores are good places to find less packaging.

Moe Sizlack

Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir here, but it seems to me that the single most effective step we as a culture could take -- for greenness (whatever that might mean) and wholesomeness -- would be to stay at the perimeter of the grocery store, where the real food lives: fresh produce, meat and fish that's been touched only by a knife, and dairy (and corn) that's not been processed into creamers, soft drinks or packaging. Then, as Maggie and Peter suggest: eat what you buy.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir here, but it seems to me that the single most effective step we as a culture could take -- for greenness (whatever that might mean) and wholesomeness -- would be to stay at the perimeter of the grocery store, where the real food lives: fresh produce, meat and fish that's been touched only by a knife, and dairy (and corn) that's not been processed into creamers, soft drinks or packaging. Then, as Maggie and Peter suggest: eat what you buy.

My fingers itch to edit the Inside Aisles. Canned pears, peaches and beans will do just fine.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm not against canned or frozen foods. The outside aisles provide guidance, though: the closer a food is to its original state, the better it will taste, and often, the better it will be for us to eat.

D'accord.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

buy milk from a local dairy in reusable glass containers

That option is unavailable to me. I'd do it if I could, and if it wasn't stupid expensive. Dairy containers are the only non-refundable beverage package in my municipality -- all others come with a 5 or 10 cent deposit. You can get half of the deposit back if you take your empties to a recycling center.

Moe Sizlack

A few more things: as mentioned by others, we compost; bring our own bags to the farmers market and supermarket; buy milk from a local dairy in reusable glass containers; use natural, compostable charcoal.

What is natural compostable charcoal and what do you use it for, please.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had to look that one up. It's a charcoal air filter to keep your compost from stinking unbearably, no? Makes sense if you need one. I take my nasty stuff far away outside.

ETA better sentence structure

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Moe Sizlack

I had to look that one up. It's a charcoal air filter to keep your compost from stinking unbearably, no? Makes sense if you need one. I take my nasty stuff far away outside.

ETA better sentence structure

Natural charcoal is simply wood that has been charred and not treated with various chemicals like charcoal briquets, which can wreak havoc in a compost pile.

Twitter - @docsconz

My husband and I have both been vegetarians since our teens, in the 1970s. (met in 1994, married in 1996) This is probably our biggest green contribution.

We eat a lot of unprocessed foods like dry beans and vegetables. We try to eat up all the food we buy, freeze leftovers and make soups and stock from trimmings. I make a lot of foods like salad dressings, mustard, mayo and ketchup from scratch.

We compost and have a small garden.

I have used re-usable bags since I moved out on my own. I have a french string bag I got in the 1970's and Wild Oats cloth promo bag from 1988 that I still use.

I got CFC bulbs in the mid-1980s when they were first introduced. Two years ago we re-did the house in LED lights. My kitchen is now illuminated with about 35 watts of energy total -and the bulbs only get to about 108° -as opposed to the 50 watt (each) halogen bulbs that were here when we moved in which used a total of 300 watts of power and got to 435° each. (so, we don't use AC fighting heat from our lighting) (yes, I love my tempgun)

I do simple maintenance on the (circa 1996) fridge, cleaning gaskets and vacuuming the coils to keep it running well, although it will probably need replacing in a few years.

I clean with simple soaps and vinegar as much as possible.

I'd love to replace the stove with an induction topped model, but, cannot afford to replace it right now -plus I'd have to buy new pots, my copper cookware would not work!

I load the dishwasher up, and use it.

Most importantly, my husband keeps a small journal of when he changed filters on things or when we cleaned something, so we can do regular maintenance to keep what we do have running smoothly.

My husband and I have both been vegetarians since our teens, in the 1970s. (met in 1994, married in 1996) This is probably our biggest green contribution.

We eat a lot of unprocessed foods like dry beans and vegetables. We try to eat up all the food we buy, freeze leftovers and make soups and stock from trimmings. I make a lot of foods like salad dressings, mustard, mayo and ketchup from scratch.

I have used re-usable bags since I moved out on my own. I have a french string bag I got in the 1970's and Wild Oats cloth promo bag from 1988 that I still use.

I got CFC bulbs in the mid-1980s when they were first introduced. Two years ago we re-did the house in LED lights. My kitchen is now illuminated with about 35 watts of energy total -and the bulbs only get to about 108° -as opposed to the 50 watt (each) halogen bulbs that were here when we moved in which used a total of 300 watts of power and got to 435° each. (so, we don't use AC fighting heat from our lighting) (yes, I love my tempgun)

I do simple maintenance on the (circa 1996) fridge, cleaning gaskets and vacuuming the coils to keep it running well, although it will probably need replacing in a few years.

I'd love to replace the stove with an induction topped model, but, cannot afford to replace it right now -plus I'd have to buy new pots, my copper cookware would not work!

Most importantly, my husband keeps a small journal of when he changed filters on things or when we cleaned something, so we can do regular maintenance to keep what we do have running smoothly.

That's very impressive, Lisa. Small things like vacuuming the fridge coils make sense, I do it twice a year for hygiene reasons.

I run a full dishwasher but I don't run the dry cycle, which is apparently a real energy pig.

Nobody here has home air conditioning.

I make salad dressing and mayo, but is homemade mustard worth the effort? I think I know the answer.

What's a tempgun?

Moe Sizlack

Wow! I said, imagine being so virtuous as to never use A/C. Then, I had to smile :smile: when I read that you live in Halifax. No one in Halifax EVER needs A/C.

We shall drop into your non-air conditioned house sometime in the next couple of months when we go to Halifax to see our youngest and his wife. I LOVE Halifax! :wub:

We do have a few room air conditioners on the farm for the bad days and for visitors, but mostly use the ceiling fans which are amazing in their ability to cool a room. In Moab we used a swamp cooler. Now there is a very green and wonderful solution to heat.

I don't know how 'green' this is, but we also have a doggy composter. Not really a cooking concept. Oh, but we do make all our own dogs' food...they eat raw. No waste there...they eat the bones and all. And the veggies are pulped in the Champion.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

That's very impressive, Lisa. Small things like vacuuming the fridge coils make sense, I do it twice a year for hygiene reasons.

I run a full dishwasher but I don't run the dry cycle, which is apparently a real energy pig.

I make salad dressing and mayo, but is homemade mustard worth the effort? I think I know the answer.

What's a tempgun?

Homemade mustard gives you the ability to control the flavor of the finished product. Like shallots in it? Add them. Wanna try red wine as the liquid? Go for it! Mustard also lasts a really, really long time in the fridge. So, even if you just a use a little here and there, you will wind up using it.

I buy the mustard seed in bulk at an asian market, and occasionally from Pensey's.

I use canning jars to store things in the fridge, for dry storage in cupboards, and some freezer items as well. Sometimes I just screw the lids on, sometimes I use my vacuum sealer to seal them. The glass is safe and doesn't impart or absorb flavor. For things like mustard, I've probably saved a cubic yard's worth of plastic bottles over the years by making my own instead of buying mustard at the store.

The canning jar lids need replacement after a while, but they are recyclable steel.

I will admit to using AC. (actually a heat pump, which is a bit more efficient than traditional AC) But, here in Phoenix, we regularly get temps in the 120°+ range and swamp coolers don't work well above 110°. I know from personal experience that when it's 126° outside, the inside of my house, if un-air-conditioned can easily reach 150°.

http://www.tempgun.com/main.html

I won the PE-1 tempgun in a contest about three years ago and it's been very useful ever since -for cooking and general household stuff. I was shocked to see how hot the mini halogen kitchen lights were, and made replacing them a priority. We now use less AC when in the kitchen.

The LED lights are great. They should last 15-20 years and no bulb in our house uses more than 12 watts, with most using 4-6 watts.

Here's an example of a "Green Cooking at Home" guide for seafood. It's a tool to help shoppers make good decisions when buying fish. I applaud the effort and the vision but I don't agree with all the recommendations.

Moe Sizlack

Don't buy some swell six burner hot rod when all you need is a reasonably fuel efficient stove from, say, Sears.

Form a neighborhood cooking collective: Share your ice cream maker, your blow torch, your smoker,your rototiller, your pasta machine.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Form a neighborhood cooking collective: Share your ice cream maker, your blow torch, your smoker, your rototiller, your pasta machine.

That's a compelling idea. I'd love a kitchen equipment library where I go and sign out expensive or rarely used objects -- like a Big Green Egg, or a truffle plane.

Moe Sizlack