• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would you eat with a Dynasty marathon?

Chufi

I know, I know. What can I say? :blush: I was a BIG fan of Dynasty when it first aired, and have so many great memories of watching it together with my friends. I now have the first 2 seasons on DVD and am going to watch them in a couple of mrathon sesssions with a friend who is also a fan. Ofcourse we want to eat while we're watching, preferably something appropriate. But even though I remember a lot of table and restaurant scenes, I don't really remember what they were eating.. if that was mentioned at all?? Besides Alexis' eternal caviar/grapefruit breakfast, that is.

Does anyone have a better recollection, or some idea, for food to serve.. while watching Dynasty :laugh:

I never watched the show, but was intrigued by the question enough to do a bit of research. The only food references I could find were to a plate of food that Krystle once dumped on Alexis and the whole restaurant aspect of "La Mirage". Perhaps some French cuisine that might have been served in Denver in the 80s? :unsure:

Sorry, I'm grasping at straws here. I hope you come up with something and have a lot of fun.

OHHHH, Klary!!

Here's one for you, and it can cook while you watch an episode or two: "Blake's favorite: roast duckling." Prepared by the inestimable Mrs. Gunnerson in her vast kitchen. (courtesy of www.shoulderpads.something)

And preceded by "cocktails and canopies" in the living room or on the terrace. So THAT'S where they got their over-inflated sense of their own importance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah. well. the first evening, on which we managed 3 episodes, I made a stirfry with rice... not very Dynasty, I know, but I had no time or inspiration to come up with anything better.

The episode with Blake and Krystle's wedding did have some wonderful close ups of eighties party food and hors 'oeuvres.. for the next night of watching, I'm definitely making devilled eggs :biggrin:

We have many more evenings to go and if we eat anything "Dynasty like" on one of them I'll be sure to report back.

A TV show as the reference point for a feast or series of feasts is a very fun idea. I have no memory of Dynasty although I'm of an appropriate vintage that regression hypnosis might work.

I have cooked with friends to celebrate the long-awaited season premier of the whatever was big the previous year show. Season two of "The West Wing's best wings" comes to mind. I like J.J. Abrams but I'm at a loss what to make for the return of my guilty pleasure "LOST".

I'm sorry Klary, that probably wasn't very useful. :smile:

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'm trying to remember the popular food styles of the 80's. Didn't the whole "blackened" fish/chicken phenomena start then? Asian fusion? Did it begin that far back? I seem to recall sushi bars were the exotic new things that you had to travel to LA to experience. Maybe those braincells are long deceased though....................

Like lemniscate, I was also trying to think of food typical of the '80's but came up blank.

Sounds like fun. I can't remember what they ate either, but you sure could not go wrong with champagne in nice flutes as the beverage.

I think this might be a better angle for you. Eat like the ritzy people do: Champagne, Oysters Rockefeller, Caviar, etc. Something high-falutin' (and with shoulder pads). :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Lots of champagne in very expensive crystal flutes.

Alexis loved caviar. I seem to remember lobster and oysters and other high end food being served in various episodes.

My Dynasty watching partner always did her laundry on Wednesday nights and I'd show up with a bottle of wine. Promise me you'll ball up some socks and throw them at the TV when Alexis starts getting bitchy. My college friend and I will live vicariously through you if you'd do that for us... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'd top the deviled eggs with caviar.

Epicurious has a recipe for caviar pie the different colors of caviars. It's always looked interesting, but I haven't tried it. It does look good, but their site doesn't show the picture with the recipe. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CAVIAR-PIE-1172

Also, I found a site that said Alexis had croissants flown in from France.

I remember watching the series years ago, but the only scene I recall is the catfight.

Rhonda

We watched some more episodes last night, (with unremarkable food.) One episode was called The Dinner Party and I kept saying to my friend 'we have to watch closely what they're eating so we can recreate the dinner next time!'

The only dinner party scene was when they left the table to retire to the lounge for lots of brandy.

They drink a LOT. Eat, not so much. :laugh: