• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Callebaut 70% vs 53% - opinions needed

Hi Everyone,

Being a complete newbie to chocolate making, I'm not sure which dark Callebaut chocolate to purchase?? The 53% or the 70%??

I'm guessing one is more bitter than the other?

Which do you prefer?

Is one easier to temper than the other one???? I'm a newbie, so the easier the better, but on the other hand, I want TOP tasting chocolates.

Also, what does everyone feel about the Lindt couverture chocolate that you can purchase? Any good? How does it compare to Callebaut?

Unfortunately, I'm not in the position to try both chocolates before making a purchase, and my bank balance is dwindling down at an alarming rate (but so much fun!) :raz:

I look forward to reading everyone's opinions and advice. Again, I am SO thankful for such a wonderful resource - I've spent many hours going through previous topics.

Thanks!

Danni

Are these your only choices?

I have not found any of the non origin Callebaut chocolate to be top tasting. How much can you afford and are you buying from wholesalers?

I have used the Callebaut 6040 which was just ok from a flavour perspectuive but I did not find it easy to work with, especially not for moulding.

Have a look at the Callebaut website - they do flavour profile diagrams of their couvertures and give info on what type of use they are best for. There are also good online demos on different techniques that I have found helpful.

callebaut site

Comparing 53% and 70% (assuming the same origin) isn't really a matter of which tastes better. That would be entirely subjective and relevant to what you intend to do with it. Your basic non-specialty Callebaut is good chocolate, I use it often in desserts, but I don't think I'd rank it as "TOP" chocolate. I consider it a good workhorse chocolate. It's a nice balance of flavor, availability and price and I've never had anyone be unhappy with things I make with it... but I don't do chocolates very often. I'm more into doing desserts.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I did a search to see if there was the info you're asking about already in the forums and unfortunately its spread everywhere. So, here are some topics that you can read that have the info. My only subtantative comment is that every task has a different chocolate for me. Each percentage and flavor profile get different uses. Ultimately its a matter of taste and exploration - the funnest job you'll ever have :)

HERE'S the 'favorite couverture' topic

HERE'S an older one on specifically Callebaut couverture

HERE'S the topic on tempering chocolate

HERE'S the Chocolates with a Showroom Finish topic which has all sorts of comments about brands

HERE'S a topic on where to buy your bulk chocolate

HERE'S a topic from another beginner

HERE'S a topic specifically about working with Callebaut

Danni, I am a newbie as well. When working with Callebaut I have found that the number of chocolate drop symbols on the label makes a difference as to how easy the chocolate is to work with, especially if you are going to use molds or dip. I prefer the ones with 3 drops. Fewer drops means the chocolate is thicker when tempered which I found harder to use when dipping or making filled chocolates in molds. I have not yet used one with more than 3 drops. There is more info on their web site. Laura

Also, what does everyone feel about the Lindt couverture chocolate that you can purchase? Any good?  How does it compare to Callebaut?

From a purely ease-of-use perspective, I find the Callebaut easier to work with as the callets are smaller and melt quicker

I tend to go for the darker chocolates, especially because my fillings are sweetened, so it all balances out. You can always add sugar to a darker chocolate, but it's a bit harder to take it away from a sweeter chocolate. That said, I have both of those chocolates and have used both for enrobing. The 54% is somewhat sweeter, but not super sweet, and I don't think the 70% would be over the limit of bitterness for most people. I have 54% and 70%, both with three drops, and I haven't noticed any real difference working with them.

There are probably regional variations in chocolate preferences too. It seems like the high percentage chocolates are gaining popularity in the US, but even there I imagine people in urban areas who are exposed to more different foods might be more likely to go dark - this is only a guess, not meant to offend anyone in the rural midwest or whatever. I think I've read that milk chocolate is still more popular in Europe but there is a gradual shift towards dark? And we have one vote for lighter chocolates in Australia. Lucy, are the varietal chocolates and higher percentages available but not catching on, or are you not really seeing those specialty bars of 75, 80, 85% in stores?

Danni, buy what YOU like! If other people don't like your chocolates, you get to eat them all!

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I would just say that I love the Callebaut 54% (for eating -- I'm not a chocolate maker) and think it tastes darker than most "semi-sweet" chocolate -- I would think it would be a good balance for many people who like "dark-ish" chocolate but may not want the really intense 70-85% type of taste...

I think I've read that milk chocolate is still more popular in Europe but there is a gradual shift towards dark?  And we have one vote for lighter chocolates in Australia.  Lucy, are the varietal chocolates and higher percentages available but not catching on, or are you not really seeing those specialty bars of 75, 80, 85% in stores?

I would say (with absolutely no facts or stats to back it up :rolleyes: ) that the majority of the Australian population still prefer Cadbury's Milk Chocolate to even 50%-ish dark chocolate. The different percentage chocolates are getting more common and are now stocked in most supermarkets (but most are of awful taste) ... I don't see plantation chocolate out where I live (in a rural area) at all.

The high sales of regular (disgusting) easter eggs shows that Australians still haven't developed a decent chocolate palate!! I'm finally convincing people not to give me easter eggs!

Edited by LucyInAust (log)

It mostly depends on personal taste - but from my experience (I'm just a home cook) more people are likely to enjoy the 53% as few are real dark chocolate fans.

I second this line of thinking.

Find out who your audience is. Find out what they like or decide what you are trying to get them to like. Tune your choice for that.

Edited by ejw50 (log)