• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infomercial Products

HungryinJC

I am a complete sucker for the latest whiz-bang gadget and lately I've had my eye on both the NuWave Oven and Magic Bullet. But before I get more products that I won't end up using, has anyone had firsthand experience with either of these? Do they work as claimed?

I don't know about either of these, but infomercials make me think of the Blendtec series of videos: Will it Blend?

With infomercials like these, it's hard to doubt the quality of the product. :biggrin:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I don't know about either of these, but infomercials make me think of the Blendtec series of videos: Will it Blend?

With infomercials like these, it's hard to doubt the quality of the product.  :biggrin:

Great video.

I don't know about the Magic Bullet but I have its precursor the Miracle 2000 Chopper and wouldn't be without it. Should it die, I would probably try the Magic Bullet.

I use it for small blending/mixing jobs only and have never attempted to chop vegetables or anything else in it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As I said on the other thread, I love my Magic Bullet. I make a breakfast smoothie with it every morning, used it tonight to make just enough marinade for two fish fillets and make small batches of salad dressings and other things with it quite regularly. It won't replace my food processor for bigger jobs, but is quite handy for certain things and is great for someone cooking for one.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have always loved my Jet Stream convection Oven. It roasts a chicken perfectly, juicy, with paper thin crispy skin. It bakes biscuits fast and they puff up more. This is a throwback to the late 80's. I love it so much I scope out ebay for units for replacement/backup parts. Stay away from the one with the digital controls, terrible quality machine. Go for the vintage analog control models.

I have always loved my Jet Stream convection Oven.  It roasts a chicken perfectly, juicy, with paper thin crispy skin.  It bakes biscuits fast and they puff up more.  This is a throwback to the late 80's.  I love it so much I scope out ebay for units for replacement/backup parts.  Stay away from the one with the digital controls, terrible quality machine.  Go for the vintage analog control models.

I have a similar unit from Sunpentown. I purchased it to use the top for roasting coffee (whit it does admirably well) but have since started roasting chickens in the ting as well.

Tasty and does not heat up the kitchen a decided plus in the summer months.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

thanks for the great feedback on the bullet; I'm gonna go for it! And if I act in the next 20 minutes, I'll get a second one free!!!! there was another thread where everyone trashed it, but none of those people actually had purchased one; they just trashed it on principle :) hmmmm, was really hoping that someone had tried the NuWave. I think that it is different from other turbo convections in that it also uses infrared, which in theory further reduces cooking time and would provide superior browning, no???

thanks for the great feedback on the bullet; I'm gonna go for it!  And if I act in the next 20 minutes, I'll get a second one free!!!!  there was another thread where everyone trashed it, but none of those people actually had purchased one; they just trashed it on principle :)  hmmmm, was really hoping that someone had tried the NuWave.  I think that it is different from other turbo convections in that it also uses infrared, which in theory further reduces cooking time and would provide superior browning, no???

Hey Hungry, please report back after you try it! :laugh:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!