• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick easy party foods...

Graphix

for an appetizer

this is super easy to make..

the only thing I have ever heard them called is a Korean style California roll ..

You just julliane the following

Carrots

Green onions

Egg pancake cooked thin with a little toasted sesame seed (I roll the cool pancake and slice it thin)

Pickled diakon

Fried tofu or marinated strips of cooked cooled meat …crab is good ..my friend shreds the fake crab legs

Spinach

(whatever you like actually)

do all the prep of these the day before ..make more than you think you will need and just put them in zippy bags...

Day of pile the items on a platter in a circle of attractive piles in the center put a bowl of sauce made with soy sauce a few dashes of vinegar and a shot of wasabi (the stuff in the tube is fine)

On the side put a big pile of toasted nori cut into squares …

People take a sheet of nori then put a little of each thing inside and the sauce is spooned on top they are bite sized ..you can put small tongs on the platter if you don’t want people touching the piles of fillings or chopsticks whatever

This really is a wonderful …very simple ..inexpensive...and popular party food …people hover and make their own while talking…

Have fun hope this helps

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Hummus. You can serve it as a dip with pita bread/crackers, or bring it out when the meat is served as a sort of spread. It tastes great, it can be put together in minutes, the ingredients are cheap, and it's so simple. Simply add to a food processor some canned chickpeas (for convenience. Use soaked dry chickpeas for authenticity), tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic, and salt.

Some would accuse hummus of being overdone these days, but the different between homemade and the store-bough variety most people serve is like night and day.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

I second the hummus. You can cut pita bread into bite sized bits, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with some sea salt, then toast them in the oven. I think it's my favorite snack.

Is this for the main meal or snax? If you're grilling...

Jalepeno Poppers are easy to assemble and bake on the grill

Gilled Pineapple...omg so simple and delicious!

Fruit and/or Veggie kabobs (you could have an entire kabob night! oh, and that would go with the hummus too)

I love grilled vegetables. I slice sweet potatoe, turnips, zucchini, eggplant and (my absoluite favourite) parsnips into 1/4 inch slices. Toss the veggies and (another favourite) oyster mushrooms with some olive oil, salt and pepper, then grill until lightly charred on the edges and soft in the middle. You can reseason and drizzle with a little bit of white wine vinegar or lemon juice right before serving.

Parsnips have a woody core, so I cut planks out of the thicker bottom part around the core. You can eat the core of the thinner part.

-isomer

I second the hummus.  You can cut pita bread into bite sized bits, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with some sea salt, then toast them in the oven.  I think it's my favorite snack.

if doing hummus how about baba ganoush (sp?) complementary and easy

Edited by insomniac (log)

kabobs of cherry or grape tomatoes, mozzarella balls and basil. use looong kabob stick and drizzle some good olive oil and balsamic over them. Finish with freshly ground salt and pepper. Arrange them nicely and you might just get accused of being a caterer! Enjoy your party.

if you're looking for grill ideas and want to go simple you could make some hamburgers and then put together all sorts of fun toppings (i.e. blue cheese, carmelized onions, avocado slices, sauteed wild mushrooms, etc.)

Try this on the BBQ.

Buy green Anaheim peppers. (choose the straightest ones you can find.

Cut them in half lengthwise.

Scrape out seeds.

Cut Brie cheese into long strips.

Cook peppers cut side down until they soften & brown a bit.

Flip over & lay a strip of Brie into the cavity of the pepper

Continue cooking until the Brie melts. (this takes just a couple of minutes.

Serve immediately. The sharp pepper with the sweet Brie is delicious.