• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vile Recipes

sadie4232

Speaking of Paula Deen and vile recipes, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this monstrosity yet.  smiley_vomit.gif

I can think of a lot better things to do with Krispy Kreme donuts (like eat them, plain) than to bake them up into some mushy diabetic nightmare.

Well, I don't use this exact recipe, but I make a doughnut bread pudding that everyone who tastes it adores and requests again and again :biggrin: ! Different strokes :wink: !

Kim

Speaking of Paula Deen and vile recipes, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this monstrosity yet.  smiley_vomit.gif

I can think of a lot better things to do with Krispy Kreme donuts (like eat them, plain) than to bake them up into some mushy diabetic nightmare.

Well, I don't use this exact recipe, but I make a doughnut bread pudding that everyone who tastes it adores and requests again and again :biggrin: ! Different strokes :wink: !

Kim

I guess bread is bread and it is not really the using donut in bread pudding idea that turns me off it is the kind of donuts and the recipe itself!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Well, I don't use this exact recipe, but I make a doughnut bread pudding that everyone who tastes it adores and requests again and again  :biggrin: !  Different strokes  :wink: !

Kim

Hi Kim,

I've seen doughnut-based bread puddings that look great. However, Paula Deen's recipe seems way over the top and excessive ...

shel

... Shel

...I came upon a recipe for fruit salad that consisted of fruit and... mayonnaise. Literally chop up the fruit, add the mayo and presto! Here are some screen caps.

Sounds to me like a good way to market their mayo but a terrible way to ruin some fruit!

This actually sounds like a popular dish in the southern US. My ex-boyfriend, a native of Baton Rouge, LA, used to speak lovingly of a concoction very much like this pear salad that involved canned fruit, mayonnaise and, of all things, cheddar cheese. I would sooner eat my arm.

OK,

1: That chili recipe is DISGUSTING, it's just a mess of sugar and corn syrupy items and ooky things all mixed together- bleacgh! I DO have to commend the guy, though, he didn't add grape jelly to the pot!

2: My daughter and I took one for the eGulleteers and made that Velveeta fudge awhile back- my sister's kids loved it, it had a greasy salty back wash that was hideous- aqnd it coated the tongue in an uncomfortable way, too.

3: SO, we come to my contribution, which now doesn't seem so bad.

Behold my father's "Mom's away and I'm a chef!" recipe:

1# ground lamb or beef

1 can of sliced baby potatoes, drained

1 can of creamed corn

3 onions, diced large

salt- not to taste, because he's dangerous, like that!

Doesn't sound too deadly, you say?

Well, it's all in the cooking! My dad had this wonderful cast iron skillet- only used when Mom was away. He would brown the meat in the skillet, then add the onions. When they softened he would add the canned ingredients, and cook this mixture until it congealed together while HOT! Then he would salt it, and serve it to us in pita bread! It was hideous, I tell you! Especilly because, if you note, I did not mention any draining of fat going on! He didn't ever drain fat from cooking meat. "All of the flavor is in the FAT!" he would say! :huh: Needless to say, my mother was an angel on Earth, she always left us lots of leftovers when she went on a trip.

And, my dad's current wife is an angel, because she does not allow my father to cook a THING!

My dad is a real food lover, too. It's weird. He was a horrid cook!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

The worst I remember is when an instructor at the cooking school I used to work at put a clove of garlic in the milk along with the vanilla bean to make the Grenache for Chocolate truffles. He insisted it was correct because after all the recipe called for 1 clove .... He's was fired not long after that :biggrin:

I hate to bash anyone, but my mom got her cookbook for Christmas, and Good grief, she really makes some vile stuff.

I was amazed by how many of her recipes called for canned/instant food.

My mom made a chicken dish that called for Canned cream of mushroom soup and it was pretty bad.

I don't boycott canned soup, but from a food network chef? Not so much.

---------------------------------------

The worst I remember is when an instructor at the cooking school I used to work at put a clove of garlic in the milk along with the vanilla bean to make the Grenache for Chocolate truffles. He insisted it was correct because after all the recipe called for 1 clove ....  He's was fired not long after that  :biggrin:

Great jumping jellybeans! (Um, did you get a taste?)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

...I came upon a recipe for fruit salad that consisted of fruit and... mayonnaise. Literally chop up the fruit, add the mayo and presto! Here are some screen caps.

Sounds to me like a good way to market their mayo but a terrible way to ruin some fruit!

This actually sounds like a popular dish in the southern US. My ex-boyfriend, a native of Baton Rouge, LA, used to speak lovingly of a concoction very much like this pear salad that involved canned fruit, mayonnaise and, of all things, cheddar cheese. I would sooner eat my arm.

My mom (A Texan) made that for us all the time back in the late '60's! The "mayo" was actually Miracle Whip. It is a Betty Crocker cookbook recipe. To be fair, my mom is a wonderful cook. I just think the canned pears and mayo thing was popular for a while.

Edited by hazardnc (log)

I agree, Paula Deen's Velveeta Fudge sounds totally disgusting, but to be honest, the Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding is good, albeit sweet. My SO, who really prefers savory over salty, really likes it.

If you want disgusting Paula Deen recipes, how about this: Cheesy Ham and Banana Cassarole What shocks me is the number of people who actually tried it!

Edited by hazardnc (log)

So I can't say that I got this recipe from a friend, but I think it's still quite bad. I was playing this cooking game made by Ajinomoto, the huge food company famous for their popular mayonnaise, when I came upon a recipe for fruit salad that consisted of fruit and... mayonnaise. Literally chop up the fruit, add the mayo and presto! Sounds to me like a good way to market their mayo but a terrible way to ruin some fruit!

Wow - I am really outing myself here, but that's how my grandmother always made her fruit salad. Actually I am the one who does it with cut up fresh fruit, miracle whip and walnuts. We all love it :laugh: ! She made it with canned fruit salad and miracle whip. Not as good, but we all scarfed it down every Christmas.

Kim

So I can't say that I got this recipe from a friend, but I think it's still quite bad. I was playing this cooking game made by Ajinomoto, the huge food company famous for their popular mayonnaise, when I came upon a recipe for fruit salad that consisted of fruit and... mayonnaise. Literally chop up the fruit, add the mayo and presto! Sounds to me like a good way to market their mayo but a terrible way to ruin some fruit!

Wow - I am really outing myself here, but that's how my grandmother always made her fruit salad. Actually I am the one who does it with cut up fresh fruit, miracle whip and walnuts. We all love it :laugh: ! She made it with canned fruit salad and miracle whip. Not as good, but we all scarfed it down every Christmas.

Kim

Well, I suppose Waldorf Salad falls into this mayo niche, but I love it,

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I think there is something with grandmothers and Miracle Whip. Mine used to take a single leaf of iceberg lettuce, "butter" it with a light coating of Miracle Whip, and then eat it. And that would be her lunch.

Kim

Well, I suppose Waldorf Salad falls into this mayo niche, but I love it,

I adore that kinda stuff, even add a tad of diced green onions.

"Runs away to hide." :raz:

---------------------------------------