• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silver City Culinary Extravaganza

Thanks for sharing your fun cooking and eating weekend with us!

Kerry, did you find you had to make adjustments in your recipes when cooking at altitude?  If so, is it a simple temperature adjustment?

The only thing I made was ganache while I was there, and tempering chocolate - the altitude didn't have any perceptible effect.

Wow, what a wonderful trip! Thanks for the report and pix!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Having had the distinct pleasure of dining (the soup place was Brodo) and shopping with Kerry before she headed off for the weekend, I have been following this adventure with delight. Gfron and Verjuice and Patrick - you lucky dogs you!

Maybe if I start calling Mighty Taco the "drive through burrito vendor," it'll taste better...

Patty

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick post-note. I've been asking everyone I can about the style of food we have here. No one could give a distinct answer, but all agreed it wasn't Santa Fe style New Mexican. The best description I was given was something like this: Its our own distinct style. Its not Tex-Mex. Its not Arizona Mexican. Its not really New Mexican as most people understand it. Its the food of our people because unlike most of the other styles that have evolved over the years, our style has remained relatively pure because of our isolation - meaning, no big chef has come in and popularized it and modified it. This is the food that is made in most kitchens in our area, and has been for a long, long time. There is no pretension. There is little fanciness (aside from a smiley face on your taco). It is working people's food. Hearty and affordable.

What ever you call it, it was damn fine food!

Still want to know what the name of that burrito I had at Don Juan's with the pork skin, so I can try to imitate it at home.

Just a quick post-note.  I've been asking everyone I can about the style of food we have here.  No one could give a distinct answer, but all agreed it wasn't Santa Fe style New Mexican.  The best description I was given was something like this:  Its our own distinct style.  Its not Tex-Mex.  Its not Arizona Mexican.  Its not really New Mexican as most people understand it.  Its the food of our people because unlike most of the other styles that have evolved over the years, our style has remained relatively pure because of our isolation - meaning, no big chef has come in and popularized it and modified it.  This is the food that is made in most kitchens in our area, and has been for a long, long time.  There is no pretension.  There is little fanciness (aside from a smiley face on your taco).  It is working people's food.  Hearty and affordable.

I think that's fantastic. It truly saddens me that so much of our culture here in the States is becoming / has become so homogeneous.

Rob, it might make an interesting thread to discuss how your region differs from the more populist version of "New Mexican" or SW cookery. Esp. if you include recipes and/or sources for supplies...

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

My first thought was...ugghhh, homework  :angry:

But then I remembered...I have an intern!  Patrick A - get to work!  :biggrin:

Patrick - can you go research the burrito list for me at Don Juan's while you are at it?

Perhaps you could coin a term for it. There does seem to be a distinct sub-cuisine in the Mimbres region, which appears to be limited to the area that was populated by the people of that culture.

My dad, who lives in Deming much of the time, has often remarked that the line of demarcation doesn't include Las Cruces. At the moment he is visiting friends up north.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Two updates. The food of our region does have a name gileño which refers to the people of the Gila River region. I have two people working on a definition - both of which have family from the area since well before we were a state.

And here's a creation by one of Kerry's students that has been very active since the class. She called them misfit mice:

gallery_41282_4652_2929.jpg

and as for my chocolates for Chocolate Fantasia, let's just say that my hazmat suits have been ordered. And apparently I was part of a write up of the CF event in New Mexico magazine, but I haven't seen it yet. They also published a recipe - my riff on PH's fried ganache balls.

Two updates.  The food of our region does have a name gileño which refers to the people of the Gila River region.  I have two people working on a definition - both of which have family from the area since well before we were a state.

And here's a creation by one of Kerry's students that has been very active since the class.  She called them misfit mice:

and as for my chocolates for Chocolate Fantasia, let's just say that my hazmat suits have been ordered.  And apparently I was part of a write up of the CF event in New Mexico magazine, but I haven't seen it yet.  They also published a recipe - my riff on PH's fried ganache balls.

Very cute mice!

John DePaula
--------------------

At risk of shameless self promotion...

For those of you who have access to the New Mexico magazine, the February issue has a write-up of Chocolate Fantasia (the even that Kerry was brought in to help), and I got a nice recipe inclusion.

At risk of shameless self promotion...

For those of you who have access to the New Mexico magazine, the February issue has a write-up of Chocolate Fantasia (the even that Kerry was brought in to help), and I got a nice recipe inclusion.

What recipe did you give them?

My curiosity is getting the better of me. Since I helped suggest which Canadian candy bars should make the trip with Kerry to NM, I'd love to know how they were received.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

ooh - so sorry! The weekend that Kerry was here was fueled by the coffee bars since I didn't have time for non-sugar breakfasts (2 on Friday, 2 on Saturday). Very good - they reminded me of something I had in the middle east, but couldn't quite remember. Kerry thought they would be fun to replicate at home - but I'll leave that to you confectionary folks.

I didn't notice a difference between the CA Kit Kats and the US Kit Kats. But they did highlight to myself that I don't eat them by the plank - I bite across planks, which seems odd to me.

The first toffee bar that I had (you'll have to remind us of the brand) I thought was too hard, but really, really good once it was melted in my mouth. But then I started walking around town with them in my pant pocket so they would be soft when I wanted them - hey baby! Is that a soft toffee in your pocket or... :blink:

I can't remember the last bar, so it must not have been my favorite. Thanks for your professional, technical expertise on this important matter and international cultural exchange!

I'm tying up loose ends on this little blog. First, I finally had a chance to enjoy the last of the cheeses that Kerry brought from CA. It was a sweet onion cheese. In another topic Fatguy claims that any cheese that has something added is merely an attempt to hide bad cheese. I argued against that and I do again having had this cheese. It was super. We had it by itself and also grated on some thinly sliced baguette soaked in Fair Trade Palestinian ExV.

gallery_41282_4708_1627.jpg

gallery_41282_4708_40262.jpg

I also opened up a buritto relleno yesterday. They were out of the chicharron burittos, but I'll try again today. It may not look pretty, but its soooo good. A whole chile relleno slapped in with some beans and cheese.

gallery_41282_4708_50772.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more wrap-up.

Here is my creation for the Chocolate Fantasia event that Kerry was brought in to do the workshop for. Cilantro Cheesecake with Chocolate Air.

gallery_41282_4652_6553.jpg

Two of her students had crowd favorites: The refined version of the mice above, and curry filled molded chocolates - they were absolutely perfect!

Congratulations are in order. One of Kerry's pupils (the one who made the mouse above) won the overall best chocolate at this past weekend's Chocolate Fantasia! She did the same mouse, but vastly improved it - so just one more thanks to Kerry for the inspiration and knowledge.

Another students who was filling his chocolates with chutney did very well also, but I don't think he won an award.

• 1 month later...

It took a month of pestering, but I finally got the Thai Lime Shrimp recipe from Chef Mel.

Thai Lime Butter

8 oz butter

2 t. Lime zest

1/4 C. Lime juice

1 T. Minced lemongrass

2 T. Minced fresh mint

2 T. Minced cilantro

1/4 t. Red pepper flakes

2 T. Minced fresh ginger

1/4 t. Curry Powder

2 t. Minced garlic

1 T. Fish sauce

Combine everything and store in airtight container in the fridge until firm.

Oven to 475 F

Split shrimp down middle of back but not all the way through, open them

Salt and pepper

Cover with Thai Lime butter

Roast 6 minutes or until just done

It took a month of pestering, but I finally got the Thai Lime Shrimp recipe from Chef Mel.

Thai Lime Butter

8 oz butter

2 t. Lime zest

1/4 C. Lime juice

1 T. Minced lemongrass

2 T. Minced fresh mint

2 T. Minced cilantro

1/4 t. Red pepper flakes

2 T. Minced fresh ginger

1/4 t. Curry Powder

2 t. Minced garlic

1 T. Fish sauce

Combine everything and store in airtight container in the fridge until firm.

Oven to 475 F

Split shrimp down middle of back but not all the way through, open them

Salt and pepper

Cover with Thai Lime butter

Roast 6 minutes or until just done

Thanks Rob, I can't wait to try it. How's Mel working out at the store?