• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silver City Culinary Extravaganza

Rob and I split a chocolate croissant at Yankie Creek Coffeehouse. I had a black coffee and Rob had a mocha caramel explosion. I forgot to ask him if he enjoyed it. Did you enjoy it, Rob?

gallery_11735_5463_4247.jpg

Then we went across the street to Vicki's Eatery, where Rob had a green chile turkey melt with a side of chips and salsa:

gallery_11735_5463_7637.jpg

And I had an Italian mushroom and provolone melt with a side of Greek salad. Both sandwiches were made with toasted sourdough, but mine had garlic butter on it. Very good.

gallery_11735_5463_28808.jpg

Here is some of Rob's lauded "marzipan art" at Eklektikas Gallery:

gallery_11735_5463_13877.jpg

Just kidding. They were made by artist Helen Wilson.

Was the mocha good?...well, it was sugary which is all I wanted. And as for that marzipan art, those were actually ceramic/mutli-media babies. The gallery owner and I were referencing the mazipan babies that are often spread through the internet that are debunked on snopes.

Verjuice is being polite about the croissant. I had been working with the baker on these for a month or so to help her improve the quality. Its pre-made butter puff with chocolate. I had been encouraging dark chips, but she is still using semi-sweet. The puff was still underbaked, and didn't seem like puff at all to me. Since this is the first that I've had, I'll be working a bit more with her to see what improvements can be made. All that said, it was still yummy, just not what its billed as.

I'm recapping the day now that I'm finally home and settled. Everyone made it safe and sound and its been a crazy, busy day! Verjuice pretty well summed up our day of exploring downtown, but here are a few more pics.

First we have a cool youth mural project where professional artists work with the kids. Here's one that's on the side of our great gelato shop - who is closed for vacation.

gallery_41282_4708_55471.jpg

Then we walked for lunch at Shevek & Mi (a great restaurant) - who is closed for vacation.

A gut shot of that chocolate croissant.

gallery_41282_4708_25037.jpg

Its interesting that we all shared gifts with each other. And it reminded me of the Olympics where the athletes bring what they think best represents their culture. Kerry brought me ice wine (which I have never had, but have been really wanting to try), maple syrup (in a big ass jar!), candies that we can't get in the US (what?! she thinks I like sweet stuff or something), cocoa butter (so John DePaula won't freak when I use hand cream in my desserts :raz: ), a pastry cookbook (I've had to reveal that I own virtually no cookbooks), and a pastry magazine (yes, I read them on the toliet). There's also some cheese, but we'll talk about that on Saturday.

gallery_41282_4708_50911.jpg

And then this afternoon when I got back to my store, I had another batch of goodies - the two basic life forces: Cheese & Chocolate.

gallery_41282_4708_7920.jpg

Its interesting that we all shared gifts with each other.  And it reminded me of the Olympics where the athletes bring what they think best represents their culture.  Kerry brought me ice wine (which I have never had, but have been really wanting to try), maple syrup (in a big ass jar!), candies that we can't get in the US (what?!  she thinks I like sweet stuff or something), cocoa butter (so John DePaula won't freak when I use hand cream in my desserts  :raz: ),

Oh Thank God! I was worrying about that all day long!!! :raz::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really wish that I could have made your Extravaganza, Rob! Even went so far as to check airfares. The $700 price from PDX kinda put an end to that idea pretty quickly. I can see why your friend preferred Santa Fe's proximity to an air hub...

By the way, that Ice Wine that Kerry brought you is KILLER, Lucky Boy. I served some at a dinner party and everyone just loved it. Perfect end to a meal.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

The question about the wine then is do I share it with friends or keep it for myself? I think I know the answer to that.

I'm up at the crack of dawn today. I remember when I was young, and I loved getting up early - that was like a year ago. Now I'm looking forward to being old so I can get up at the crack of dawn again.

This is going to be a packed day. I finally had to write out my schedule in 15 minute blocks to be able to get everything packed in. The pooches won't be happy - I hope Lexi doesn't attack me like she does the yuccas, but they'll get 2 (say it ain't so!) walks instead of 3. I got the final menu from Chef Mel(issa):

Roasted Thai Lime Shrimp

Minit Chimichurri Fruit Salad on Baby Organic Spinach

Roasted Red Pepper & Mushroom Fine Créme

Green Chile, Roasted Corn Crab Cake with Mango Cilantro Salsa, Sweet Potato Pureé with Grilled Vegetable Selection

My dessert.

And that's all after a day of chocolate!

John - Rob got a different wine than you did, I brought him a bottle of the red ice wine (can't rmember the grapes at this very moment). I brought a bottle of the wine you got for Nouf and Patrick but Rob informs me that at 18 years of age Patrick can't have the wine. Bummer for him! So perhaps Rob will get to taste that one too.

I'm a little red and bleary eyed this morning, but looking forward to my class with the culinary students today. They will be my 'first pancake' class - you know the one you throw away cause the temperature wasn't right and all. We'll be working out the bugs with different equipment and chocolate and stuff so there should be lots of amusing faux pas.

Corrected for really tiny script on the computer and no glasses.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Oddest thing. On the dog walk I started thinking in Spanish - I only do that when I'm in overload. The problem is I don't know chocolate terms...come se dice 'ganache' en Espanol? Desiderio - ayudame!

So to calm my mind I drove by one of my favorite murals

gallery_41282_4708_74927.jpg

Then I looked in the sky...strangest thing. Some people see the Virgin Mary in the clouds. I saw chocolate bon bons...bizarre!

gallery_41282_4708_19762.jpg

This is cool! Sounds like a lot of fun and the food is making me drool. I love chiles. Fresh chiles are hard to get here (I know all about being in a remote area) other than standard grocery store jalapenos but I grab whatever dry chiles I can find and I keep about 15 or so chile powders on hand. Looking forward to seeing what you three get into once you're all together.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oddest thing.  On the dog walk I started thinking in Spanish - I only do that when I'm in overload.  The problem is I don't know chocolate terms...come se dice 'ganache' en Espanol?  Desiderio - ayudame!

gallery_41282_4708_19762.jpg

The word is 'ganache' in Spanish.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

John - Rob got a different wine than you did, I brought him a bottle of the red ice wine (can't rmember the grapes at this very moment).  I brought a bottle of the wine you got for Nouf and Patrick but Rob informs me that at 18 years of age Patrick can't have the wine.  Bummer for him!  So perhaps Rob will get to taste that one too.

I'm a little red and bleary eyed this morning, but looking forward to my class with the culinary students today.  They will be my 'first pancake' class - you know the one you throw away cause the temperature wasn't right and all.  We'll be working out the bugs with different equipment and chocolate and stuff so there should be lots of amusing faux pas.

Corrected for really tiny script on the computer and no glasses.

:laugh: I feel for you, Kerry. That time change can be tough!

P.S. If you're on a PC, Using Firefox (Ctrl + +) or Internet Explorer (View | Text Size | Larger) will help.

John DePaula
--------------------

That was actually sunrise this morning - beautiful.

Lunch was at Gregorios Kountry Kitchen - outstanding. I'm really sick of Mexican at this point, but it was so good. Great gauc. Great flautas. And wait til you see the pics of the Taco Guadalajara.

Last night, Rob, Kerry and I had a quick dinner at La Cocina Mexican Restaurant, just across the street from The Curious Kumquat. Like a true northerner, I could not resist the urge to order my enchiladas "Christmas". The red was significantly hotter.

This was my first experience with enchiladas that had been stacked rather than rolled. Rob commented that New Mexican food in this part of the State is more similar to Chihuahuan food, stylistically.

gallery_11735_5463_661425.jpg

Today, the three of us met for lunch at Kountry Kitchen. Chips and salsa:

gallery_11735_5463_14318.jpg

I had the enchiladas Christmas with a side of guacamole.

gallery_11735_5463_30279.jpg

Kerry had the enchiladas Green with an egg over easy (a traditional accompaniment around here, says Rob):

gallery_11735_5463_24577.jpg

Rob had the flautas because the albondigas he was pining for turned out to be unavailable. Everything was excellent.

gallery_11735_5463_23187.jpg

And I am speechless over this incredible thing, so I'll leave it open to interpretation. Behold the Guadalajara Taco:

gallery_11735_5463_9643.jpg

Me, too! Let's just say that Portland is not known for its excellent (New) Mexican food... I miss it so much!

John DePaula
--------------------

Just a couple of quick updates then we're off for dinner. Chef Mel called and said, "How close to my budget do I need to be?" I said, "How important is it to you that whatever you make is being talked about by three eGulleters?" She said, "So, if I go over, that's okay?" I said, "If your meal sucks, is that okay?" She said, "Okay" I said, "Now that that is settled, how much did you go over?" She said, "Twice the amount." I said, "Oh shit."

On another front, I haven't started my final dessert component and I'm running out of time. So expect extreme close-ups to hide mistakes and flaws!

P.S.  If you're on a PC, Using Firefox (Ctrl + +) or Internet Explorer (View | Text Size | Larger) will help.

That's what I thought too, but it doesn't seem to help on this computer.

So there we were at lunch, the meals come out and 3 people whip out cameras and start taking pictures. The server looked at us with something akin to amusement.

When I went up to pay - she asked - "Why are you taking pictiures of the food?" I gave her the abbreviated explanation of eG and that is when she said - "then you should have had the Guadalajara taco." "Why?", I inquired. "Because it's got a smily face." she said. So the next guy who ordered it had to wait for his meal because she brought it over to our table to have it's picture taken before she delivered it to him.

You know you are an eGulleter when...

I cannot do justice to our wonderful evening by attempting to describe it while exhausted, so I'll keep the words to a minimum and just post pics for now.

The dinner was held at one of the most beautiful homes I have seen in New Mexico. It was like a jewelry box full of beautiful things to entertain the eye at every turn. Our hosts were lovely, fascinating people, and everything made by Chef Mel was delicious.

gallery_11735_5463_291406.jpg

gallery_11735_5463_1529978.jpg

gallery_11735_5463_543548.jpg

gallery_11735_5463_1097120.jpg

"Mexican Buttermilk" (margaritas):

gallery_11735_5463_723571.jpg

Roasted Thai Lime Shrimp:

gallery_11735_5463_1298733.jpg

Tropical Fruit Salad with Mint Chimichurri and Gouda on Baby Organic Spinach:

gallery_11735_5463_1117494.jpg

Roasted Red Pepper & Mushroom Bisque:

gallery_11735_5463_183928.jpg

Roasted Corn Crab Cake with Mango Cilantro Salsa, Crab Leg, Sweet Potato Pureé with Crystallized Ginger, Grilled Lemon and Stuffed Grilled Peppers with Spinach and Mushroom:

gallery_11735_5463_328369.jpg

Rob, correct me if I'm wrong! This is Rob's Lemon Pound Cake with Blackberry Mousse, Italian Meringue, Candied Celery and Candied Ruby Red Grapefruit Peel:

gallery_11735_5463_167741.jpg

gallery_11735_5463_790003.jpg

Rob, correct me if I'm wrong! This is Rob's Lemon Pound Cake with Blackberry Mousse, Italian Meringue, Candied Celery and Candied Ruby Red Grapefruit Peel:

It really was an amazing meal - and I'm very impressed with Mel's ability to consistently pull of great meals (that's why I'm going into business with her). My dessert is a long running project that I'll probably walk away from. Inspired by a bar of soap in Palm Springs, and first attempted HERE.

I wanted a subtle, but distinct celery taste paired with lemon. This one had numerous flaws, but I think the tastes worked and finished this meal perfectly. It starts with a vessel of Pierre Herme's lemon pound cake, filled with a blackberry lemon chiffon mousse (Italian meringue mousse), and topped with celery Italian meringue. The "pineapple" on the plate is just some of the vessel cutouts finished in a pan with butter and filled with prickly pear jelly.

Today we get to actually take the chocolate class, and then its all about cheese!

It really was an amazing meal - and I'm very impressed with Mel's ability to consistently pull of great meals (that's why I'm going into business with her). My dessert is a long running project that I'll probably walk away from. Inspired by a bar of soap in Palm Springs, and first attempted HERE.

I wanted a subtle, but distinct celery taste paired with lemon. This one had numerous flaws, but I think the tastes worked and finished this meal perfectly. It starts with a vessel of Pierre Herme's lemon pound cake, filled with a blackberry lemon chiffon mousse (Italian meringue mousse), and topped with celery Italian meringue. The "pineapple" on the plate is just some of the vessel cutouts finished in a pan with butter and filled with prickly pear jelly.

Today we get to actually take the chocolate class, and then its all about cheese!

I agree that the tastes worked in this dessert. I only wish that I wasn't so full from the rest of the meal that I could have finished it. The celery flavour in the meringue paired with the remaining flavours were quite amazing, and that little 'pineapple' slice was a touch of brilliance (and very, very tasty). The candied celery and candied grapefruit rind added the perfect finishing touch. Best bar of soap I've ever eaten.

Wow, what an amazing meal, everything looks so good! (Especially the crab leg.) Best of luck with your business, Rob: if the meals are always that fantastic, it really takes a lot of pressure off :smile:

Rob, you are really something else... A bar of soap?! I don't think any pastry chef can beat that inspiration! I hope you'll talk a bit about what needed to be ironed out in the P&B forums.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

My class at the high school yesterday was a lot of fun. I'll have to wait until I get home to post pictures because I'm photographically impaired posting from this hotel computer.

The students were a cross section from juniors to seniors, some who had plans to go into the culinary field, some not, but still very interested in the culinary arts. The interesting thing was their enthusiasium for what they were learning. They have a competition coming up and a lot of talk revolved around how they could incorporate what they were learning into that competition. We also explored a few ideas that they could use for fund raising in the future.

It was really fun to have more hands on than in my usual classes - more mess to clean up at the end, but more fun. One young man, after rolling the truffles between his gloved hands asked "Do I have to take off the gloves - or can I lick them off?" Far be it from me to discourage the eating of good chocolate. Took him about 5 minutes, but they were licked clean before he removed them. He ate a lot of chocolate yesterday. They all did - they were pretty wired by the time they left. We made some bark from the left over dark chocolate incorporating pinion (pine nuts for the rest of us) and dried habanero pepper. Wow - catches you right in the throat - but they ate some and took the rest home!

It was a treat to work with Patrick, another eG'er, who works at Rob's store and is a senior in the culinary program at the school. Before I came down I was reviewing his threads on getting ideas for the culinary competition which is up coming. They are limited by having only two burners to create their entire meal and need ideas for desserts that can be done on the stove top. Maybe they will do something in chocolate!