• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Service Heroes and Heroines

johnnyd

This is a true story.

Portland, Maine is a summertime tourist destination on the American Northeast coast. It's 300 year-old, red-brick waterfront has a number of restaurants with decks over the water that are packed with cruiseship passengers and out-of-state families on any given day in-season.

One day last week, a server stationed on the outdoor deck picked up the bill tray with a cheery "I'll be right back," and swung toward the register, sending the guests credit card cascading through the air and down between the slats of the deck flooring into the ocean below. The card's owner, needless to say, went beserk.

"Well," said the server, "You can cancel the credit card or come back at low tide and we'll probably find it then,"

"Those are not options!" said the guest, clearly imagining his vacation in ruins.

Perturbed but not defeated, the server put her tray on the guest table then went to the far side of the deck and called over to one of the island water taxis that tie up to a dock below the restaurant.

"Hey!" she yelled, "Do you have a scuba mask on board?" The pilot replied that indeed he did. She climbed down a ladder off the deck to the dock, pulled her top off, adjusted the scuba mask on her head and in her sports bra and Capri jeans slipped into the 65°F seawater and began searching.

After a short while she found the credit card. She emerged, completely soaked, hoisted herself onto the dock, towelled off on the water taxi, put her top back on and shimmied up the ladder back to the restaurant deck.

"Your credit card, sir."

The customer, nonplussed, took the card and left without a word.

So far, the rumor downtown is that he left without tipping, she continued working the shift, and I hear the rest of the customers on deck gave her a rousing ovation, but I can't confirm that yet. She is now, without a doubt, an Old Port Legend.

I think this would be a good space to add similar acts of heroism. But they have to be true. :wink: Who's next?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Johnny - what a wonderful story! If I was there, I would have tipped her generously. That guy is such a .... cad. (I have other choice words for him but it is unprintable for this forum).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

That is a great story, Johnny, but where are all the lifesavers out there? I'm sure someone must have performed a Heimlich or some such service. I guess it is difficult to make that into such a remarkable story though.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I did CPR on an old guy that dropped right out of his chair onto the dining room floor with a massive heart attack one day but he died anyway.

No risk to my own life, and anywhere near as daring as that wonderful heroine you mentioned, Johnny, but I was wearing a miniskirt that day and when I turned around for a moment as we were bent over him on the floor I noticed that all eyes were focused on my behind.

Embarrassing. I get a chance to be a heroine and the only thing I do is let them see my behind by mistake.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

wow.. that's a crazy story. I wonder what her manager's reaction was? I know if any of my staff did that i'd be showering them with praise. I guess she must have a great sense of duty, wish I had a couple of staff like that!