• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Custom Hobart "Hot Rod" Mixer - Pictures

esoller

I do work for Hobart, so let me get that out of the way. I just thought that people might think this is cool. We're giving this one-of-a-kind mixer away at the Pizza Expo in Las Vegas. I wish I had a mixer that looked like this when I was making 70-pound batches of dough every day.

422329250_d2527f3498.jpg

422329253_5f3f07b10f.jpg

422352733_6cd25a7a6a.jpg

Edited by esoller (log)

When is that pizza expo and how does one get an opportunity to win this baby?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The International Pizza Expo is in Las Vegas next week, March 20-22. All you have to do is attend the show, fill out an entry form at the Hobart booth, and be present at the end of the show to win. It has a $17,000 list price, so it is a nice prize for a pizza operator. It is a 60 Quart mixer model P662.

Edited by esoller (log)

It reminds me a lot of Alton Brown's flaming Kitchenaid.

Here's another flaming KA:

Flame On!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

No amount of "flame-age" will make up for having to deal with that STINKING safety cage!

For me, "serious pimping" involves modifications like removing the cage and giving me a nice

pouring shield. Oh yeah, and make mine a pink "Hello Kitty" mixer. THEN I'll buy a raffle ticket....

:laugh::laugh:

No amount of "flame-age" will make up for having to deal with that STINKING safety cage!

For me, "serious pimping" involves modifications like removing the cage and giving me a nice

pouring shield. Oh yeah, and make mine a pink "Hello Kitty" mixer. THEN I'll buy a raffle ticket....

:laugh:  :laugh:

FYI

No new floor mixer sold after 1995 has been sold without a cage. Nobody really likes working with them, but it is the law. However, the Hobart is the easiest to work with, and does have a nice pourning shield. :smile:

SB (wonders why a creature with no mouth would need kitchen appliances?)

One should be glad she has no mouth, otherwise there's the issue of Hello Kitty Hairballs. :raz:

And also why there's no Hello Kitty Litter Box!

SB :rolleyes:

[shrug]

I've worked with them, and I've worked without them. I'm more comfortable using a mixer with the shield, because I'm just enough of a klutz to catch my apron in it while it's running, or some damned thing...

I also favour steel-toed boots for working in. Call me paranoid.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

No new floor mixer sold after 1995 has been sold without a cage. Nobody really likes working with them, but it is the law. However, the Hobart is the easiest to work with, and does have a nice pourning shield. :smile:

Once it is sold, can you remove it?

I know, I know, probably not.

But can you at least make it easier to work with from the perspective of adding ingredients (without it running along the cage edge and out?) with the mixer running?

But can you at least make it easier to work with from the perspective of adding ingredients (without it running along the cage edge and out?) with the mixer running?

There is an accessory that clips onto the bowl guard that makes it easy to add ingredients. It is kind of spout that allows the user to add any ingredients while the mixer is running.

Did you know you can customize your own KA mixer?

Hot Rod Flames, get 'em here!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 7 months later...

i realize this is an old post but...

i used wire cutters and removed a couple of the wires on the cage to make my own hole to add ingredients. the cage can be removed for cleaning, but there are magnets or some other contacts that will keep the machine from turning on if the cage is removed.

i realize this is an old post but...

i used wire cutters and removed a couple of the wires on the cage to make my own hole to add ingredients. the cage can be removed for cleaning, but there are magnets or some other contacts that will keep the machine from turning on if the cage is removed.

Macgiver? I for one am glad you went into epicourie arts. (one or two of those words are misspelled and one I may have just made up)

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

well, the moral of the story is that if you jam a pen into the side where the cage "locks", eventually you will get some sugar stuck in there and it will stay that way. :biggrin: For how long I don't know but for now I'm grateful :wink:

When that stops, I'm definitely going to clip some of the wires, thanks for the suggestion.