• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Reprise of Dorie Greenspan's Fresh Orange Pork Tenderloin. Vanilla ice cream not shown.
  4. sartoric

Tasting Japan

Breakfast at our Ryokan onsen was almost as special as dinner. There’s a flame under this beef. Onwards through beautifully coloured countryside to Kyoto. And these little treats, an egg batter filled with shrimp and fried in kinda mini muffin pans. Served with soup and Mitsuba. A modern day isakaya, four tables with room for say 24 at a pinch. Note the coat hangers for your jacket. Happy owner who made us very welcome Some gratuitous supermarket shots, round the corner and open 24 hours.
  5. Modernist Pantry just sent me an email promoting their glucose powder. What a coincidence!
  6. sartoric

Tasting Japan

@BonVivant yes we did sake tasting in two places. Didn’t get to Shirikawa-go, my motto is always save something for next time We did try the hida beef too, (even though I try not to eat animals these days which was difficult in Japan). Lovely photos.
  7. Dante

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner- steak tips with herbs de Provence, with Swiss chard, served over grits
  8. That should be somebody's tagline. (Maybe I'll change or augment mine!) If nothing else, it characterizes a great meal!
  9. We haven't made it there yet, but are looking forward to it. The VMA is an outstanding museum for a city the size of Richmond.
  10. TdeV

Dinner 2019

Looks fabulous, @Ann_T. Recipe please?
  11. Thanks, zooming worked. You'd think they would want to mention something like that in the product description.
  12. Had not made a patterned Joconde in quite a while so I made a hazelnut and chocolate mousse tort. Came out a little rough, but overall happy since it had been a couple of years. Rushed the freezing (or lack thereof) of the first mousse layer and the buttercream layer fell into it. Great practice and look forward to making more!! Chocolate spongecake base, patterned joconde, and ganache Layers from bottom: Chocolate spongecake, hazelnut praline feuillitine, chocolate mousse, Bailey's buttercream, Chocolate mousse, and ganache. Spongecake did not really go well with it and will change it up in the future.
  13. chef rubber has a glucose powder, you could inquire about DE https://shop.chefrubber.com/item/501214S/Glucose-Powder/
  14. If all goes well tomorrow - I will be making “my*” Coconut Filled Coconut Bundt Cake tomorrow ... *Its not mine - It’s a recipe on King Arthur Flour and it’s delicious. I sub the milk for coconut milk and don’t use lemon - I have an aversion to lemon. Coconut Filled Bundt Cake
  15. CatIsHungry

Meeting-friendly snacks to bake

Thanks for posting that @ElsieD - that is the brand I prefer - although I hear many wonderful things about TJ’s brand of cookie butter. Cookie butter is a wonderful thing - sub it anywhere you would use Peanut Butter or nut butter - (or - since I introduced my mother-in-law to it - do as she does and eat it straight up — with a spoon 😉 ) ...
  16. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073FSY76/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=b4bbef4e-170e-463d-8538-7eff3394b224&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JTNSB6O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WTPXM7WTR8F2TEJ7G27B&th=1
  17. Darienne

Wow! Never heard of cookie butter before. A whole new vista opens up. Thanks, CatIsHungry.
  18. Vague range in my world! A little more or a little less matters naught - a whole lot more - well it might over temper more quickly. I've reached the point where I can look at the amount of chocolate I have and figure out how big a scoop I want to put in there. I just pretend to use the scale most of the time.
  19. CatIsHungry

Sorry - my mistake ... Savoy’s Scones ... http://www.fairmontmoments.com/food-drink/scones
  20. Kerry - how precise do we need to be with the 1% silk? Tenth of a gram? Nearest gram ? Does going a little over 1% cause any issues?
  21. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

We had an early dinner at Michiru in Webster: GYOZA (shared) BEEF SZECHUAN STYLE (for him) with Hot & Sour Soup and Steamed Rice C2 ROLL (for me) Filet mignon, fried crawfish, avocado, steak sauce, spicy mayo, garlic chips
  22. Is the link supposed to go to the recipe?
  23. Yesterday
  24. A lot of the blame for the unreparable appliance problem I think lies with the Walmart and Targets of the world who demand lower and lower prices for appliances. They’ve reached the point where repair is more expensive than buying a new one.
  25. It's on the back of the packaging, but you have to zoom in on the image on their product to read it.
  26. I checked the Modernist Pantry powdered glucose page when @paulraphael posted. Where does it say the DE number?
  27. Modernist Pantry sells a powdered glucose with a DE of 95+. I don't know if that's what you're looking for though. Modernist Pantry also sells N -Zorbit in retail quantities, if that's the type of maltodextrin you're looking for.
  28. CatIsHungry

Cayenne?! Hmmm 😀 I will have to give that a try in one of my next batches - thanks for the tip! ... A few years ago I turned my son on to cookie butter so I will oft sub cookie butter for Peanut Butter- that is his fave version, of course ... Oh - Kolaches!!! That was another big winner with the meeting crowd - I did a variety of fillings - apricot - cream cheese - apricot / cream cheese - prune - cherry - cherry / cream cheese - etc ... And the Savoy Scones - not like a typical American scone at all - these were good! - oh these are so delicious - so light - soft - absolutely heavenly. Haven’t made them in a while - I used figs instead of sultanas - the recipe is at fairmontmoments.com - I’ve made full recipe (makes a fair amount) and halved it no problem) ... the double egg wash absolutely makes a huge difference.
  1. Load more activity