• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Duvel

Dinner 2019

Landed very late on Sunday night at Kuerle, Xinjiang province, in the very northwest of China. After spending the whole day in three consecutive flights I was just thirsty ... Found a small nondescript place with lamb skewers, braised egg plant and smacked cucumber. Peanuts and local wheat beer as well. The crisped up lamb fat with chili & cumin was fantastic ...
  3. Today
  4. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

I had a plan but dinner didn't happen. A can of soup was opened.
  5. shain

Dinner 2019

They'll still be OK for cooking, but won't be crisp for eating straight.
  6. JoNorvelleWalker

Kitchen Scale Recommendations, 2011–

I must learn to curb my enthusiasm. I like everything about the YaeCCC scale except that I can't get it to calibrate. I wrote YaeCCC for help. It may just be I don't understand the instructions. None of the mostly positive reviews on amazon mentioned a problem with calibration. It does seem to be linear and it doesn't drift. After the scale warmed up two different 200 g weights from two different companies measured 200.076 g.
  7. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

Tonight was a stuffed turkey thigh from Emiril's New New Orleans cookbook. Delicious although a bit salty because we substituted canned baby clams for fresh oysters in the stuffing. Grits and green beans, bacon and kale to go with.
  8. And some photos from the last day of the workshop. Today’s lunch Thrilled to use Melissa Coppel’s custom blended dark chocolate for my chocolate hazelnut nougat. Thanks to Melissa for everything she contributed to the conference! Dipped in this pretty bowl that another potter was inspired to make after hearing about @patris‘s amazing chocolate bowls. Chocolates made from the thermoformed moulds. And some general photos of yummyness...
  9. Looking forward to seeing you again next year - there is room for chocolate and hard candy in one guys world!
  10. Breakfast at Comet Coffee. This place was recommended by @gfron1 and a number of us stopped in to enjoy their offerings. I’m going to try and stop by tomorrow before my flight home. Wonderful food and delightful employees. This morning mushroom & spinach quiche and a build-your-own cafe au lait.
  11. Welcome, Verlene! I'm looking forward to hearing more about you!
  12. Today’s hard candy demo & conference participation. @DayGameCandy was a great instructor and wonderful addition to our workshop.
  13. @gfweb the students and faculty were welcoming and very helpful. The facility and equipment were great. The food was an odd disconnect, not quite sure why that was the case.
  14. Looks pretty sad for a cul. Program.
  15. I use a cheap escali that I picked up somewhere. It’s a horse. https://www.amazon.com/Escali-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Increment/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Escali&qid=1558318293&s=gateway&sr=8-3
  16. JoNorvelleWalker

Kitchen Scale Recommendations, 2011–

Digital scales have never been kind to me. My thirty some year analog scale keeps on working and I've yet to change the batteries. I use it a multiple times a week. But when I went to using modernist ingredients I needed something that would measure smaller quantities. The first digital scale I got didn't work. Amazon took it back. My second try was an AWS. Flimsy little thing but it did the job. Then the on/off switch became erratic. A few months ago I ordered a Modernist Pantry branded scale, primarily to spend enough to get free shipping on their little powders. That scale was a dud, but Modernist Pantry replaced it. The replacement worked well. For the first two times I used it. It did not work when I was making ice cream two days ago. Thankfully after some button mashing I managed to get the AWS to turn on long enough to weigh the things I needed. But there was no joy. Sad fact of life, I cannot afford a $2000 scale. However I found this on amazon for less than $100 (OK, $99.99). One day delivery. It came tonight. Without letting the scale warm up or stabilize I threw a 200 g weight on the pan and it registered 200.066 g. I may have low standards but I found that impressive.
  17. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

Great bday meal. Up thread we did a bday meal in our mom’s memory who passed in 2005 which is very similar to yours. The potatoes look really nice and crisp.
  18. eugenep

11 Best Summer Drinks

thanks for the recommendaiton. tried it out on Saturday while taking a walking tour of some kinda architecture exhibit walk for 1.5 miles in the City and that drink was impressive. So good for the season that I made it today for the park while playing bocci good drink. I sometimes make tepache with pineapple skin and fermentation for the summer (just add spirit of your choice) and also spiced rum (toast spices and soak in rum for 2 weeks) I might try that tecate (mexican beer) with tomato and hot sauce etc.. I think it's called a michelada or something
  19. Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the group. I learned a few techniques, shared recipes, drooled over the Selmi equipment (how can I rearrange my apartment kitchen to fit one of those?....), bought an EzTemper (Kerry is psychic and knew to bring it just for me), won a fantastic prize and most importantly, met a bunch of great people. Can’t wait for next year!
  20. Hi Cakewalk, Will you please share your DELICIOUS recipe with me too please? Thank You so much
  21. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Grilled SV Beef Ribeye, Crash Hot Potatoes and Teriyaki Asparagus and Mushrooms ~ Birthday Dinner for my DH!
  22. JoNorvelleWalker

Making Pistachio Ice Cream and Gelato

Forgive me. I made the pistachio ice cream but I had intended to put my last post over here -- too many ice cream threads, not enough ice cream.
  23. gfweb

Dinner 2019

I've been happy enough with re-frozen salmon and halibut. Better than the bin....
  24. I took most of the helpful suggestions. My mix this time: Heavy Cream 190 g Milk 330 g Pistachio Paste 140 g Sugar 100 g Salt 2 g Locust Bean Gum 1 g Lambda Carrageenan 0.65 g Polysorbate 80 0.25 g Glycerol Monostearate 0.05 g Heated to 60C and homogenized as previously. Result was much closer to ice cream. Indeed, not a bad batch at all. The biggest complaint is it does not look nor taste much like pistachio. It looks like coffee and it does not taste like much of anything. Maybe generic nut. I had been tempted to add a drop of almond extract but I did not. However the texture is getting closer. Almost perfect right out of the machine. Now in the second day there is a trace of iciness, though I am being critical. Iciness is slight and scarcely perceptible. But the iciness was not there on day one. The texture is still thicker than necessary. I'd have to get more pistachios to make the recipe again, but if I do I think I would reduce the locust bean gum and increase the glycerol monostearate. I would also cut down the salt. Meanwhile I might try making vanilla using these ingredients rather than eggs. Any suggestions on the amounts of stabilizers and emulsifiers with no nut paste?
  25. Yesterday
  26. JoNorvelleWalker

Grocery Shopping

The weather this afternoon was as dry as it's been this spring (though that's not saying much) so I decided to hazard a trip to the store. The wetlands are usually mud and standing water. Today the trail was babbling brook. Some civic minded soul had put down rocks for stepping stones. I made it to Shoprite without falling in. I didn't need much but I learned Shoprite no longer carries Jif Natural peanut butter. Why, Shoprite? I also stopped for rum. Going home I planned a different, much longer route that I could cross dry shod. In the fifteen years or so since the corn fields have become a park there are trails I've only been on a couple times. I had to pause to appreciate the views. I am fortunate to live in an area of natural beauty. Even if it is short on grocery stores.
  27. JoNorvelleWalker

Gardening: (2016– )

You did post it in another thread. I just came inside from admiring my peas.
  28. JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner 2019

Previously frozen.
  1. Load more activity