• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. This study here refers to 20 ppm as the non-carcinogenic dose and 400 ppm as the carcinogenic. Regardless, 20 ppm, when body weight and daily intake is taken into account, is more than a million times the equivalent human dose of a serving of bromated flour bread a day. But, again, this is still laboring under the assumption that the carcinogenity in rats will somehow end up being applicable to humans. There's absolutely no debate that bromate gives rats cancer. That has been proven beyond all shadow of a doubt. If this were a forum of rats, I"d be raising the danger sign the highest. But it is not. At least, I don't think it is. Chris, do we have any rat members? I hate to sound like a broken record, but there is no evidence linking bromate to cancer in humans. Nada. Zilch. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt because of your oncology adjacent profession, but, a few anecdotal human cases of exposure with mixed results is not the smoking gun that you think it might be. Pizza is my profession, and, since I direct all my clients towards bromated flour, I've needed to be 100% certain of it's safety. Because of this, I've invested at least 500 hours combing through studies over the last 7 years. For everything I've stated so far, I have evidence backing it up. Where is your evidence? Enough with the rats! Bromate cancer humans. Stop talking obliquely about 'public data,' and put your money where your mouth is.
  3. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

You didn't ask me, but I'm guessing RS = residual sugar My dinner - Sous Vide Rib-Eye Steak with Shallots, Garlic & Thyme and Cheesy Hasselback Potato Gratin, both from The Food Lab/Serious Eats with some fresh veg on the side. Accompanied by a glass of Apothic Inferno (red blend aged in whiskey barrels for 60 days). No real smoke on the steak but the wine added a little of that flavor.
  4. Amazon buys Whole Foods

I had to contact amazon tonight about a broken piece of culinary apparatus. The representative told me they were doing a system upgrade but she would call me back in two hours. Well it was well more than two hours but she faithfully called me back. When she asked if there was anything else she could help me with I explained I was an old woman without a vehicle who depended on amazon fresh and I asked her to pass my feedback to the executive that discontinued it. She said she would pass my comments to her supervisor. She also said I could keep the damaged strainer. (Though I'm still wondering who in their right mind would pack and ship a mesh strainer in a paper envelope?) My son's family uses Blue Apron. Who am I to judge?
  5. Hmmm, all I did was set the temp, wait for the bath to come up to 77C, and put in the 2 eggs for 14:00 as suggested. All manual, no app, BT, etc. This was in an insulated cooler with 9Q of water, so the temp drop at the dump was <0.5C and only for about 20 seconds. Eggs were at 5C to start. The water was circulating well, moving the eggs constantly. I've checked the bath temp serveral times in these attempts, and the Anova's been spot on.
  6. I have no specific experience but a few minutes of steam bake circa 350-375 F. works for reheating bread or just about anything. Steam is your friend.
  7. It's like some fish--it depends what they eat. IME, migratory birds taste better (less fishy) than resident ducks. Where I live, the flyers have more orange feet, whereas the residents tend to have yellower. Wild duck legs are pretty small and sinewy. Legs on wigeon and teal can be tiny. Fat mallards with their gullets full of grain--that's what you want, IMO. Maybe you should invest in a duck press? Christofle makes a nice one!
  8. @quiet1 here are links to some of the earlier workshops. The more recent ones can using Kerry's search instructions. 2012 Candy and Confection Conference http://forums.egullet.org/topic/142246-report-2012-candy-and-confection-conference/ (Woodbridge, VA) 2011 conference http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/138760-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-conference-2011/ (Niagara on the Lake, ON) 2010 conference http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/132886-report-eg-chocolate-and-confectionery-conference-2010/ (Gaithersburg, MD) 2009 conference http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/123427-reporteg-chocolate-and-confectionery-conference/ (Niagara on the Lake, ON)
  9. Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

I am a US Prime member and one can always use another ramen book.
  10. Today
  11. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

I have to ask...what is "0% RS"?
  12. The goal of the evaluation of such compounds is to find out if there is a potential risk for the public and work towards safety (“better safe than sorry”). A compound like potassium bromate which has been shown to be carcinogenic to rodents at 20ppm level if given for 100 wk would have under a normal IND filing caused a lot of questions from the FDA and the obvious next step would have been higher species tox studies which nobody has done yet because some of the rodent ones are already quite significant and bromate isn’t a critical ingredient. In addition, there are only relatively few human cases of bromate exposure but many of them also show significant (most of the time reversible but not always) renal complications (not unlike seen in rodents). Taken together the available public data is not surprisingly enough for many countries to ban bromate as too risky. (And alcohol consumption can be controled by myself, e.g. how much I drink, whereas on bromate exposure I have relatively little influence and I rely on other companies/people to follow the laws)
  13. Excellent. I just got a good deal on more pork so I will probably chuck it all in tomorrow and just top it off if needed. Everyone really liked it so might as well get more use out of all the flavorful components, right?
  14. We do that -- freeze the broth and use it again. Works great.
  15. So xenograft models have proven that bromate is a human carcinogen? If you have pertinent research regarding xenograft models and bromate, please share. Also, if xenotransplantation has finally cracked the code, why is it still 2B? Like I said before, though, even if it moves into the class 1 column, you cannot ignore dosage as it relates to risk. Class 1 status shouldn't necessarily necessitate zero exposure. Alcohol is class 1. Are you recommending we go back to prohibition?
  16. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Sea Scallops with smashed red potatoes and MB's country style bread. Hagafen's Dry White Riesling - 0% RS went along nicely.
  17. Are you aware how xenograph and PDX models work and how they are utilized in general and when and how related toxicity models are used ? (and I am pretty much saying the opposite of everything which has an adverse effect in rodents has automatically an effect in humans)
  18. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Tortilla Soup with Chicken and Avocado
  19. Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Dinner tonight was a clean-out-the-freezer-I’m-still-too-tired-to-really-cook meal. Poached eggs on toasted hamburger buns w/ hollandaise (from a packet), sausage links and some sliced oranges that were sitting naked in the fridge from being zested for cake frosting last week. My pitiful poached eggs: They were cooked properly, though:
  20. are you near them to be able to buy a pastry and see what it is like? Perhaps call a leading hotel and ask to speak to their pastry chef and see what the recommendation is. Or perhaps call the most sought-after wedding planner in Dubai and see what cake shop they recommend. I agree with Lisa's assessment; they have a lot of custom designs and lots of fondant work (which is neatly done; at least I didn't see any glaring errors but it's not top tier, You might not have a lot of choices though.
  21. Lasagna Wars

And who better to judge? Most of us are a bit food obsessed!!!
  22. I second Nick Malgeri's Great Italian Desserts; it's a wonderful book. Anything by the late Carol Field is also excellent; I have all of her books and the recipes work, they are accessible and are not heavy or dense. If your mom enjoys reading cookbooks, there is one called Bitter Almonds by Maria Grammatico (she has a co-writer Mary Taylor Semiti) that tells her story of a childhood in a convent to leaving the convent and opening a bakery. The first month the only tool she had was a chef's knife. Her recipes are old fashioned, but it is an enjoyable read.
  23. I second @Kerry Beal's suggestion. Great book.
  24. Safrole, a component of black pepper, is 2B also. Good luck banning black pepper.
  25. Nick Malgieri writes one that I've enjoyed. Great Italian Desserts
  26. Searing after SV

I think there needs to be a distinction between searing and charring. Charring may have its place, but it's not searing. Please do not char a great steak.
  27. A SANDWICH TO GO

Unhealthy to eat a sandwich?
  1. Load more activity