• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The mix for velvet-ing with the wagner is chocolate thinned with up to 50% cocoa butter, still thicker than plain CB but very fluid.
  3. Help with ginger infusion

I agree with blue_dolphin. The fresh juice goes a long way. Use use the grater part of this little treasure from the Japanse 98cent store.
  4. Currently snacking on Kroger brand Prime Rib & Horseradish potato chips. They're quite salty so I can't eat too many without feeling like I'm going to explode from the sodium. They remind me of the classic Snyder's of Hanover's Steak and Onion potato chips (which, alas, are no more). But that "Wow"-ness of the flavor lasts for only a short time before it wears off thanks to too much of a good thing. At least the bag will last me a while!
  5. Kind of slim pickens in the United Lounge. However able to get some cheese when they put lunch out. Edemane for the salad which was a nice addition.
  6. Oops, I wrote a looong reply and I accidentally reloaded the page. https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-4620AC-Compressor/dp/B005SOD08M - Is this the compressor you've got? It's not THAT big, but a little bit too big for my taste. The 1 HP looks acceptable to me. I could just make space for it somewhere I guess. The price for this unit is totally within my budget though. https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-2010A-2-0-Gallon/dp/B00TDNKBMC/ - Do you know if this is the 1 HP you were supposed to buy? Price wise it's really good, not sure why the two models with less hp's are more expensive? I probably misunderstand something here. All in all, it seems like a compressor which is more "industrial" is the way to go. You get more "bang for the buck". Do you happen to know why these compressors which seems to be suited for paint spraying models are more expensive, but offers less power? I would guess that they're more designed for precision than the CA Air Tools ones? Maybe I'm wrong, you might know - you seem to have really done your homework here. I'm truly grateful for your replies, I'm so lost at the moment. Thanks!
  7. Help with ginger infusion

You might consider using a fine microplane to shred the ginger and maximize the surface area exposed to the liquid. It's what I've done to make non-alcoholic ginger syrup. And it certainly speeds up extraction of citrus zests for limoncello and the like.
  8. Today
  9. Food funnies

From our local equivalent of The Onion: https://themanatee.net/moncton-kids-bullied-at-school-for-having-no-name-laundry-pods-in-lunch/
  10. Breakfast! 2018

It's an interesting effect, like mouldy spinach doused in Pepto-Bismol.
  11. Wow, thanks. Snuck under the wire--2 years for $12.99! FYI, at payment, you have the OPTION to auto-renew, but it's at the locked-in rate of $12.99/year. I chose not to auto-renew, and it was easy. But remember the discount code!
  12. The Dish Towel

Oooh good to know. Thanks!
  13. Grex recommends a 1HP compressor for use with its airbrush with a 0.5 or 0.7mm nozzle (0.7 is the largest they make). When I ordered my setup, they were out of the 1HP and so I got a 2HP for the same price. The compressor was a California Air Tools compressor (model 4620), rebranded by Grex. I don't know where you are located, so don't know what is available to you. This compressor is advertised as unusually quiet (the company has a video demonstrating its sound level). It's not huge, but it is considerably larger than my earlier compressor. If you do go with a larger compressor, then yes, you should probably add a moisture trap (these are very inexpensive), especially if you are in a climate that has high humidity. If you get to that point, I have a very helpful diagram that the support person at Grex sent me showing how the whole system fits together and what to buy to make it work. But on reading your restated numbers (two molds at a time) and considering your space and noise limitations, I think you may have to settle for something on a smaller scale. As for using one device for both applications (bon bon decorating and velvet spraying), unless you really thin out chocolate with a lot of cocoa butter, I think chocolate is more viscous than cocoa butter by itself, so I doubt that an airbrush would do the velvet spray you want, but I have never tried that. Every video I have seen shows a sprayer type machine in use (such as one of the Krea sprayers or a regular paint gun). High-volume chocolatiers use a sprayer for decorating their molds, but the reservoirs on those hold a lot of cocoa butter, so you could use a sprayer for both applications, but, for chocolates, you would need a (probably prohibitively) large amount of cocoa butter.
  14. Help with ginger infusion

My instinct would be to try candying the ginger first then infusing that into your base liquor by whatever method.
  15. So I was talking to Brian again yesterday - he says he will make sure there is something for us on Thursday at Tomric - perhaps not as fancy as in the past. Sorry I didn't find this out earlier.
  16. Breakfast! 2018

Just love all the non traditional breakfast foods being posted
  17. Countertop Rotisseries

How I wish I had a basement.
  18. Finding a Mixer

I'd take a look at the Globe countertop mixers, at least if the 8 quart model would be big enough. People seem to love these. The only complaint I've read is that they're a little top heavy and so they can walk around on the counter (or off) when mixing at high spead. But shouldn't be an issue with dough. The 10 qt model is closer to what you're asking for. I don't know anyone who has this. From the picture it looks rather gigantic.
  19. Offer only good in the U.S.
  20. I booked my room at the Hilton for Friday to Sunday. Given that this will be the first anniversary of my father-in-law's death and the spouse will be with me, I may be dividing my time between workshops and her. Disappointing that Tomric isn't a go this time. But would be great if we can maybe place orders and have them brought over (definitely helpful for those of us Canadians).
  21. Help with ginger infusion

I'm working on a cocktail that will include a ginger liqueur. And I thought I'd make my own, because how hard could it be? But getting good ginger flavor has been challenging. I get the heat, but not much else. I tried a method based on a recipe on Serious Eats: 90g ginger (sliced thin) / 375ml water, simmered 20 minutes. Then added to equal volume of brandy and some other seasonings, and steeped 48 hours. Then I tried a method from Modernist Cuisine: 90g ginger (sliced thin) / 375ml water + 375mm brandy, cooked sous-vide 60°C for 4.5 hours. Then other seasonings added and steeped for 48 hours. I assumed cooking sv would keep all the arromatics in, but the differences between the methods aren't huge. Both are more heat than flavor. Flavor from orange zest actual dominates. From what I've since read, you can increase the flavor-to-heat ratio of garlic with cooking. Some options would be: 1) roast the garlic first 2) sv at a temperature closer to boiling Any other ideas? Is there a potential problem with vapor preasure of a 20% alcohol solution being cooked sv in a jar at 90+°C?
  22. It's about money, of course. But it's also about space and sound. I'm not sure what to do. In regards to 60PSI. I can probably find a compressor which is not that more expensive, but it would be so much larger and I live in a one room apartment. I guess that I would have to mount a moisture separator manually etc if that's the case though. But maybe I'm wrong? You're saying that I can get something much better for not that much more money, do you have any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do, as I wrote above. I'm going to restate what I wrote earlier; it will be maybe 2 molds each time, maximum. Most of the time probably just one. But I do think as you write, in regards to that it might increase if it turns to a small extra job or something like that. What I also think is that it would be nice to have a machine that I can use for both cocoa butter for my molds, and one that can manage to spray cocoa butter over my frozen entremet. From what most people say; it seems like a cheap one will do. I might get a bit frustrated over that the spray is kind of weak. I should go with at least 0.5mm in nozzle width. For a lower viscosity liquid, like a cocoa butter and chocolate mix - I should probably have a bit more, maybe 0.8mm. I know for sure that the one that pastrygirl have, can manage the velvet "spray" as well, with a 0.8 nozzle. I think I should look at what a bigger and stronger one would cost me, and see if the difference is too much or not - and see if I have space for it as well. Any other suggestions are welcome, and thanks for taking the time to reply.
  23. An Ideal Negroni

My favorite so far is the standard 1:1:1 with Plymouth gin and Cocchi di Torrino vermouth. The earthy / leathery qualityies of the Plymouth and the spicy qualities of the Cocchi work nicely. I haven't played with Pune e Mes yet. There are of course too many combinations of interesting gins and vermouths to try in one lifetime. Attempts to do so may even shorten said lifetime.
  24. The Dish Towel

Try one first. I just gave everyone of mine away. I hate them. They catch on my nails, or on any bit of skin on my hands that isn’t perfectly smooth, the very feel of them gives me the Heebie-jeebies. They are not for everybody
  25. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

Thank you. I feel better about my $69 investment now.
  26. I think it was a special display. There were a few other foods tucked in there as well.
  27. My DW and I didn't attend the FFS last year or this year. I don't recall ever seeing the Japanese knife booth before.
  1. Load more activity