• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate chip cookie recipe tweaks for Silpat?

Ellen Shapiro

I'm becoming very fond of my Silpats (I have Exopats, actually, but everybody calls them Silpats anyway), but have found that my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe (the Nestle Toll House recipe with double the vanilla and an upgrade to better chocolate) is too "spready" when baked on Silpats. In other words the cookies spread out very wide and thin, almost comically so, when baked.

Does anybody have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that specifically works well on Silpat surfaces? I'd be especially interested in the theory of how to modify my current recipe or oven temperature (again I follow Nestle Toll House here) to make it less "spready."

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

I'm becoming very fond of my Silpats (I have Exopats, actually, but everybody calls them Silpats anyway), but have found that my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe (the Nestle Toll House recipe with double the vanilla and an upgrade to better chocolate) is too "spready" when baked on Silpats. In other words the cookies spread out very wide and thin, almost comically so, when baked.

Does anybody have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that specifically works well on Silpat surfaces? I'd be especially interested in the theory of how to modify my current recipe or oven temperature (again I follow Nestle Toll House here) to make it less "spready."

Try chilling the dough first, before scooping it on to the Silpats. Cold dough spreads more slowly, and will stay thicker when cooked.

I chill my cookie dough very well too for baking on Silpat.

I don't know if it's me or what, but often I detect a note of "greasieness" when I bake cookies on Silpat that I don't get when I use parchment. Am I losing it? :wacko:

Edited by Brioche57 (log)

You know, I think we just don't use the Silpats when we make the Toll House cookies. We just use unadorned baking sheets. I recall Silpat having the same effect on those cookies myself, which is why we ended up going back to the sheets.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Isn't it the fats that cause cookies to spread out? Is there an SSB who can help out here?

If so, I'd try using less of the fat.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I gave up on the silpats - 2 Airbake cookie sheets cost the same as 1 silpat and give similar bottom "protection"...I really love these pans.

Not that any of us use canned biscuts but you would burn the tops before the bottoms with this kind of pan :rolleyes:

T

oh yeah the cookies maybe a hotter start temp then drop it but you would really have to watch them

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

In the book Cookwise, Shirley Corriher has a great discussion of cookies, with a chart outlining what to do for more or less spread. Of her suggestions, it seems that chilling the dough before baking is the easiest solution. If that doesn't work, you might try using part cake flour in addition to all-purpose, or cut the sugar by a tablespoon or two.