• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Kimchi Topic

I don't know if it's "unusual" or not, but my favorite one is one I make with green onions.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

What's your favorite kimchi?

What is one of the most unusual ones you have eaten?

Check out this site for some less common examples:

http://www.kimchi.or.kr/english/kind/index.html

Thats a cool website, Kris.

I love ALL kimchi but I particularly like the ones made with radishes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I like that website, too.

Some foodstuffs mentioned there are not familiar to me: for example, dropwort. But the most intriguing item was the sesame leaves. I had no idea that any part of the plant other than the seeds were eaten. For that matter, I don't know what a sesame plant looks like or where it's most commonly grown (in the U.S., California, no doubt :biggrin:).

Michael aka "Pan"

I like that website, too.

Some foodstuffs mentioned there are not familiar to me: for example, dropwort. But the most intriguing item was the sesame leaves. I had no idea that any part of the plant other than the seeds were eaten. For that matter, I don't know what a sesame plant looks like or where it's most commonly grown (in the U.S., California, no doubt  :biggrin:).

Dropwort is truely a wonderful vegetable, if you can ever get your hands on it give it a try.

It is also known as water celery or minari in Korean and seri in Japanese. It is a common hotpot ingredient and it also often used in making napa cabbage kimchi.

What is called sesame leaves is actually the perilla plant and is actually a misnomer, they are not related to the true sesame. Perilla (called kkaennip in Korean) is similar to the Japanese shiso but almost twice the size.

I have used shiso to make this kimchi and it is really good!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I don't know if I could pick a favorite, but I might have to say either daikon or green onion, though I have made shiso and komatsu-na (a Japanese green similar to spinach) and they are up there as well.

I love the napa cabbage, but have not yet been able to make one as good as my local Korean restaurant! :sad:

I do have a quick version, ready to eat in a couple hours, that is probably my favorite version so far.

Lettuce/Cabbage , Radish, Green Onion, Cucumber are my favorites. I SEEN some really unusual ones, but I'm kind of a coward. :wink:

I prefer my Kimchi a little bit hotter and a little less on the "fishy" side, although I certainly understand that some amount of that is always necessary.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

My two favourites are cubed daikon and Napa cabbage with scallion.

I simply can't believe how good these are. :blink:

I like it fishy and effervescent.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Lat night we just finsihed off the crab kimchi.

These tiny freshwater crabs about the size of a large thumb are kimchi-d whole, claws and all.

They were incredibly sweet and the combination with the spicinesss was incredible.

I may have cut my tongue i na couple places trying to chew the claws but it was worth it! :biggrin:

I've just bought a jug of the most beautiful white kimchee. Huge quarters of cabbage, shredded daikon, scallions all fishy and sweet and crunchy. No chiles.

I'm going to have some with some ocean perch (and regular cabbage kimchee and daikon kimchee).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Lat night we just finsihed off the crab kimchi.

These tiny freshwater crabs about the size of a large thumb are kimchi-d whole, claws and all.

They were incredibly sweet and the combination with the spicinesss was incredible.

I may have cut my tongue i na couple places trying to chew the claws but it was worth it! :biggrin:

Are these the brown cockroach looking things?

:raz:

they are normally a blue-ish grey color, though it was hard to tell because of the red sauce. :biggrin:

They are round and look like tiny crabs (pinchers and all), I honestly don't know if I could have eaten them if they resembled cockroaches. :wink::biggrin:

Because I tasted these cockroach looking things one time.

I was assured they were some type of shallow water crustacean.

I only had one; I was so grossed out by it.

But I still hid some in my friend's bibimbap...

Here in Flushing, it's kimchi city. I too love the cubed daikon- gakdogi. Whenever I step foot into any of the restaurants where we're regulars the waitress always puts a heaping dish of this crunchy stuff in front of us no matter what's in the pan chan rotation for that evening.

I'm trying to get my fave chef in downtown Flushing to make me a sort of kimchi bokkum bap, but instead of using napa cabbage, the gakdogi. I'd love the crunch against the rice.

Mash-i-da :p

• 3 weeks later...

This might seem gross but really works for me.

Mound of mashed potatoes (with much butter). Slices of smoked beef sausage arranged on the edge of the potatoes. Cold cabbage kimchee.

The Korean farmers who sell home-made kimchi at the Union Square greenmarket make one with Jerusalem artichokes - very good, with a more delicate crunch than the radish variety. Their cabbage/chili/scallion version is my favorite, though.

Jin, I think your potato dish sounds scrumptious. I like brown rice with sriracha and cold cabbage kimchi.

Sunchoke kimchee? Sounds great. There are hundreds of kinds.

Mustard green kimchee is fabulous.

Brown rice (I use Lunberg Farms medium grain along with a Korean sticky short grain) and kimchee is great. Especially with a few grilled shrimp and some slices of steak on top. Or Used for bibimbap.

I was amazed to find that butter (in the mashers) worked so well with kimchee.

I might even try the deep-fried kimchee sandwiches I've seen around lately.

they all count! :biggrin:

My husband's favorite is the raw octopus kimchi.

Jin, if that recipe was coming from anyone else.................

I might give it a try now :biggrin:

Kristin, this was just a snack I would never serve. But it was very tasty.

Kristin, this was just a snack I would never serve. But it was very tasty.

Jin,

You make mashed potatoes and sausages as a snack? :blink:

Hm. By "snack" I mean something I just make for myself and not something I serve for twenty to thirty people.

But, yes. This was a play on the bangers and mash theme.

Hm. By "snack" I mean something I just make for myself and not something I serve for twenty to thirty people.

But, yes. This was a play on the bangers and mash theme.

Thank you for clarifying that!

I was starting to get an image of you as a very well built woman in the 300lb range! :shock::biggrin:

Har har har. I've just gotten some garlic stem kimchee and some shiso leaf kimchee. Bwhahahaha.

/cough

I love kimchee.