• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coconut chocolate chip cookie

Live It Up

There is a bakery in my neighborhood that makes chocolate chip cookies that have coconut in them. I would be happy to continue to buy the cookies from them, but they never have them when I go in. Seems like a simple enough concept, but I'm really not much of a baker. So, please help me. They are basically chocolate chip cookies with coconut in the dough. Does anybody with baking experience know how much coconut to add? Would you replace some of the flour? They're definitely more of a chocolate chip cookie with coconut added than a coconut cookie with chocolate chips added. Thanks!

Hmm, hard to equal a legend, to match a cookie in your mind. I suggest that you toast the coconut so it's nice & toasty brown. I would substitute some of the nuts in any recipe for coconut. Or get an oatmeal cookie recipe, sub some of the oats and add the chocolate chips. Also I would suggest that you chop the coconut so it is easier to eat cleanly.

Easier still, call & order a coupla dozen and freeze. :biggrin:

Thanks for the help.

Prasantrin-- that recipe you linked to looks pretty perfect. The ones the bakery makes don't have nuts in them, but I love nuts so that's an improvement in my book.

K8memphis--I am not on a crazy quest to exactly recreate the cookies (they're good, but not that good). It's just that my husband asked me to make them and I really didn't have a clue how. Good idea about chopping the coconut.

mukki--I have Pichet Ong's book on my amazon wishlist, but I don't have it yet. Do you have it? If so, do you like it? I flipped through it and a lot of the recipes looked appealing, but I just got like 10 cookbooks, so I don't think I will get it anytime soon.

mukki--I have Pichet Ong's book on my amazon wishlist, but I don't have it yet. Do you have it? If so, do you like it? I flipped through it and a lot of the recipes looked appealing, but I just got like 10 cookbooks, so I don't think I will get it anytime soon.

I checked it out from the library and decided to just copy a few recipes for now. Most didn't appeal to me enough that I thought I'd actually make them. And I have way too many cookbooks. I do plan on trying the Vietnamese Coffee Tapioca "Affogato" made with condensed milk ice cream, Vietnamese coffee, tapioca pearls and crushed walnut cookies!

find a chocolate chip cookie recipe you love then grind up dried coconut into the equivalent 1/4 -1/3 the flour in that recipe... then when you stir in the chips also add a cup of regular dried grated coconut ...(I used the sweetened ...since it is a cookie and I love sweet!!!)

I love this more than most any other home made cookie it has all my favorite components...sugar ..chocolate and coconut!!!!

I hope this is what you are looking for?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

ok, so maybe I lied before when I said I wasn't going on a crazy quest to recreate these cookies. I made my first attempt a couple of days ago, and they just didn't do it. I was going to make the recipe that prasantrin linked to, but then I remembered that my kitchen scale is broken, so I couldn't weigh out the chips and stuff. So, then I decided that I was just going to add some coconut to a basic CC cookie recipe. I decided to go with the one in Dorie Greenspan's book--and lo and behold, she had a coconut variation right in there. They were good, but they were really just a basic CC cookie, and not what I was looking for. They were too crispy and the coconut flavor wasn't prominent enough.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. I think the cookie needs to be cakier and definitely more coconut flavor. I was thinking about trying Alton Brown's puffy cookie recipe here, but I am disturbed by his use of butter flavored shortening. I just read the chocolate chip cookie bake-off thread looking for ideas, but it seems that most people are looking for a chewy cookie.

Any ideas? The recipe doesn't have to be for a CC cookie, BTW, just something cakey that I can make coconuty and add Chocolate chips to.

It seems to me this is going to become a question of how much of your soul you're willing to sell!? Puffy...well that suggests shortening, so you can compromise and do a mix of shortening and butter. And for the coconut...are you willing to use extract? If not, what about some of the coconut liquors (heat to remove alcohol if you wish). Another thing you might try is storing your flour with coconut for a while - maybe even split a fresh coconut, dry it out real well and store your flour (or maybe just the sugar) in the shell.

If you want a puffy all-butter chocolate chip cookie recipe to work with, I can offer up my all-time favorite. It's from Southern Living circa 1993. I usually make 1/2 the recipe.

Also, if you're looking for more coconut flavor, perhaps try adding some coconut extract?

One more thought: Pichet Ong mentioned that he creams the coconut (unsweetend) into the butter as a first step, which is important in his recipe, though I can't remember what the actually effect was supposed be.

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 t. vanilla

2 1/2 cups flour

1 t. baking soda

1/2 t. salt

1/2 cup chocolate chips [or double, if you're not using the next ingredient]

[1/2 cup peanut butter morsels = from the original]

Cream butter. Add sugars, beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Add chips. Drop by tablespoon onto sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Edited by mukki (log)