• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cookers: brands, sizes, features

Jaymes

In the "slow cooker" thread, several people mentioned pressure cookers. Thought it might be worthy of its own thread.

My mother used one. It was aluminum. It had a little thing on top that looked like the round piece from a tinker toy. It rattled and bubbled and whistled and spun around merrily. I was frightened to death of the thing. To me, it was like a boiler in one of those scary movies.... "Stand back Boys, she's gonna blow!!"

Do you have a pressure cooker?

What kind is it?

What do you use it for?

Any particular successes? Failures?

Can you really put your eye out with that thing?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You bet! :laugh: And you can spray tomato sauce all over your kitchen ceiling and walls!!! :blink::raz:

I have my mother's old Model '40' Presto pressure cooker, made by the National Pressure Cooker Company of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, purchased in the late 1940s or early 1950s. The recipe booklet with it is © 1947. The pot is heavy, heavy aluminum, now pitted from years of cooking tomato sauce and stuffed cabbage rolls. Capacity 4 quarts. Boy, is it scary when I close the top and put that little weight on the steam vent!

About the only time I use it with pressure is to make quick chicken stocks. Other wise, it's just another large pot. I don't do any pressure canning, and have the time to cook beans and pot roast in regular cookers. I can't really imagine using it for vegetables, or hot cereal nowadays. Besides, I'm STILL scared of the thing. :biggrin:

As I mentioned in the slow cookers thread, I just bought a pressure cooker a few weeks ago. It's a Magefesa brand cooker from Spain that I chose after reading the Cooks Illustrated review:

http://missvickie.com/library/review.html

You can order directly from Magefesa (by phone) here:

http://www.magefesausa.com/magefesa.htm

The newer-modern pressure cookers use a spring-loaded valve instead of the weight used in old models. This makes them safer and much quieter. Most have multiple redundant safety valves, so there is virtually no chance on one exploding. Mine is heavy stainless steel with a thick aluminum sandwich on the bottom. Even if it wasn't a pressure cooker it would be a great stockpot. I'm extremely happy with the pork roast and beef stews I've made so far, but I need to do some more testing before I'm really comfortable with the way it cooks.

A big bonus is the speed of course. This is why they use them so much on Iron chef. There's no other way of cooking meat and other items to a meltingly tender consistency in less than an hour. My last test was a Provencal beef stew with a total cooking time of about 25 minutes. The beef was fork tender, but wasn't mushy and had a good tooth.

The coworker that talked me into buying this thing raved on and on about how well it works for risotto, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have a small Aeternum (Italy) that I bought 20 or so years ago. I still haven't seen a pressure cooker that can equal it for quality. It does have a "jiggle thing" rather than spring loaded. It also has a little red button that pops up when when pressure starts coming up. (You can press on it and get a good idea of the pressure.) And also, a pressure safety device under the locking arm, so that if too much pressure built up, it would discharge under the "arm" which would deflect things downward. In twenty years that's never happened so I can't really say where everything would go.

I mostly use it for cooking or pre-cooking dry beans.

I have 6 pressure cookers. And the most I have had on the stove at the same time (cooking with them that is) is 3.

I swear by them and make almost all kinds of stuff in them. I am not sure what I would do without them.

And I have never had any accidents. (Will touch wood now that I have said that.)

I have one, a Fagor 6 qt. I've had it for oh, maybe 5 years. I bought it because a friend of mine, who swears by hers, got me a deal.

I've never used it. I unpacked it, washed it, and then never used it. I've taken it out of the garage more than once intending just to do something wtih it, but it never happens. I've never even used it as a regular pot. I don't know why, fear probably. Fear of the unknown even though I've seen my friend and her husband use theirs many times (that's what inspired me to get it in the first place). I even bought two pressure cooker cookbooks thinking that would help me get over the block.

Nope. I suck.

I have 6 pressure cookers.

Which brand would you recommend, Suvir dear? I've been thinking of buying one, and you just talked me into it.

Cathy, like with most of my cooking, my pressure cookers are humble. I have some Prestige, Hawkins and Fagor.

The first two brands are those I brought with me from India.

I am sure you will be happy with whatever brand you choose. I am sure the fancier ones are really high tech... But most pressure cookers are quite safe these days.

I have bought one of mine at Zabars.... I am sure the sales staff would be happy to assist you with some feedback.

Pressure cookers are a great thing to have at home. Lentils and beans become easy to prepare. Boiling potatoes cannot be simpler. Making Khitchreee and Mujaddara is easy.

Has anybody mentioned the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic? It seems that many of the serious pressure cooker people swear by it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Has anybody mentioned the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic? It seems that many of the serious pressure cooker people swear by it.

The Kuhn is the one I read many recommendations for and is generally considered the Mercedes of pressure cookers. However, they are rather expensive, so I went for the Magefesa which is about 30% less. That and the fact that Cooks rated it higher than the the Kuhn. The Magefesa is much harder to find, but ordering it on the phone was easy, shipping is free, and it arrived promptly.

We've got an old Presto 6 qt. that we use occasionally, for things like rouladen, pork and sauerkraut, New England boiled dinner, stew, corned beef and so on. It can be a time saver. I have often thought that a pressure cooker would be just the thing for high-altitude cooking.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I've got the Magefesa (6 qt). It is simply one of the best appliances I own. Great for risotto, chicken stock, and yes you can even make demi-glace (after roasting the bones).

Also great for artichokes, butternut squash, soups!!!, tomato sauces...

Not to mention oxtail and short ribs (requires quick degreasing, but comes out great).

I never thought I would use it so much. A sous-chef friend of mine recommended it. I purchased the Magefesa on Cooks' Illustrated's recommendation.

• 1 month later...

My mother used to have a Presto she had received as a wedding present. She would overcook pot roasts in it. Later when the rubber seal gave out, we used to rock it back and forth over an electric burner to make pop corn. Talk about dumbing down.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

The Web site.

Has some general information about pressure cookers.

Thanks for the link. :smile:

My favorite part from the website for Kuhn Rikon was the quote below. Great to see an Indian chef quoted first for a pressure cooker made in Switzerland.

"Out of all the pressure cookers I tested, the one I liked the best—it really made cooking a breeze—was a Kuhn Rikon, made in Switzerland. It comes in many shapes and sizes. I have the one that resembles a frying pan. The bottom of these pans, even though they are stainless steel, is virtually nonstick and the opening and closing mechanisms work as if they had been freshly oiled. There is no separate weight that has to be placed on the top and no frightening, hissing noises as the cooking proceeds. A truly wonderful gadget."

Madhur Jaffrey

author of Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking

My pressure cooker. An Aeturnum from Italy. In use for over twenty years with no problems. The red button is a stem that pops up when under pressure. Pushing on it with a finger gives an idea of the pressure that is more accurate than the sound of the "jiggler." The "jiggler" can be safely unscrewed (with bare hand) to release residual pressure after cooking if you don't want to wait for things to settle down. There is a rubber "blow off" under the band that will let go if things get out of control - for instance, if overloaded with beans. It's never happened with me, but if it had, the band will keep stuff from hitting the ceiling.

fcec2179.jpg

fcec2179.jpg

What an attractive pressure cooker. I have never seen this kind before. Thanks for the pic and the description. :smile:

Do they still make these Nick? I love collection pressure cookers.

I am thinking of getting a pressure canner next. Never done pressure canning.. But that may inspire me to do so...

Does anyone have one?

Do they still make these Nick?  

Aeternum

Checked out things. Don't see the red button. Hope they haven't eliminated that as a cost-cutting measure. Actually, I saw some new Aeternums a few years after I got mine and they'd changed - and not for the better I thought. But, they're probably still better than some.

• 10 months later...

I 've been using a Presto 6 qt. cooker for the past 10 or so years. While it certainly isn't upscale...it has been dependable.I've never had an explosion.I only recently had to replace the gasket and pressure lock gizmo.Most often I use it for cooking dried beans...makes them almost "fast food". Corn on the cob only takes 2-3 minutes in a PC and I make a great tasting chicken w/veggie gravy in 10 minutes.I'd like to read of other peoples experiences pro or con too.

I 've been using a Presto 6 qt. cooker for the past 10 or so years. While it certainly isn't upscale...it has been dependable.I've never had an explosion.I only recently had to replace the gasket and pressure lock gizmo.Most often I use it for cooking dried beans...makes them almost "fast food". Corn on the cob only takes 2-3 minutes in a PC and I make a great tasting chicken w/veggie gravy in 10 minutes.I'd like to read of other peoples experiences pro or con too.

Last year, my mom finally had to replace the gasket on her Presto pressure cooker. It was a wedding present for her from back in 1955.

I wonder how the new cookers (especially the ones with different settings) compare to the oldies-gut-goodies where there is just one setting (cook)?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

I have a pressure canner, but I haven't used it in many years. I used to can green beans from our garden, and something else, too. Maybe peaches, but I can't remember right now. It must have been easy, because I was only 20 or so, the beans were great. I should get it out and replace the gasket and use it again. I used to pressure cook chicken for casseroles, and the cooker made the BEST round steak and brown gravy!! Brown the steak in the bottom, and water and pressure till done. (I can't remember how long that is), but it was terrific, like a braise. This thread has brought back some memories!!!!!

Stop Family Violence

I recommend that you shell out for one of the programmable electric ones. Mine brings itself up to pressure (choice of two different pressures), stays for the length of time I set it, then calls me when it's done. Much easier than the fussy one I used to use on top of the stove, and it doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer, either.

• 1 month later...

I have a six quart pressure cooker. Just a good old American inexpensive one from Mirro. It has two handles, one long handle like a skillet, and the other a gripper. I love it, use it on a fairly semi-regular basis, usually at least once a week.

I follow the directions for cooling: Cool normally, off heat, for 5 minutes when any meat is included in recipe; then cool under running cold water, or sitting in cold water for a few minutes (my sink is not large enough to hold the cooker plus long handle on one side so I cool under running water). When I think the cooker is cooled, I then gently touch the release/top handle. If it is ready the cooker will open, if not the handle will stay tight. For veggies and fruits, the cooker can be placed directly under the faucet of cool water until cooled enough to release the handle. About 2 minutes is usually the right amount of time for cooling mine. I do not worry about transferring the cooker to the sink; hold onto both handles.

I am deaf but I don't think it whistles actually. :blink: I just watch for the pressure to build, indicated by the gentle jiggling of the top, then time from that point. It has a red button as an emergency pressure release but has never popped. The rubber gasket has not shown any sign of wear yet, over the last 5 years.

It is truly wonderful in the summer when I don't want to spend any more on AC than I can get away with. :cool: Still, I use it year round, and we love the results! Pork "ribs" or chops with potatoes, apples, sauerkraut, and onions are one of our favorites. :biggrin: Beef stew, and all kinds of bean/pea soups, blackeyed peas, curry dishes, vegetable soups and stewed chicken are quick and yummy. Saute and/or brown your ingredients first as you would for any recipe. Fresh vegetables come out still colorful and not mushy when cooked the right amount of time, usually only a few minutes. It is great for cooking two or three separate dishes at the same time without communicating a general aroma and flavor among them. Yet, when the food is prepared together the flavors infuse your dish with true yum appeal. You can use any liquids, but milk, and then do creamed/sour cream sauces or gravies after the food is done, as you would regularly.

Wouldn't be without it. :cool:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Fat Guy asked about the Kuhn Rikon, which is what I use and adore. For starters they are made of induction compatible stainless, so that means that their speed with an induction range is unparalleled. As a Southern cook this means that I can get adequately cooked veggies to the table in the evening without simmering all day. Even dried blackeyed peas can be hydrated and cooked in a 2 step process to mushy loveliness in about 30 minutes, and compare favorably to the traditional methods.

Although someone expressed disdain at their use for making stock, the simple fact is that they are excellent for stock since a higher temperature can be obtained WITHOUT boiling (which emulsifies the impurities and fats), and as a result less water can be used initially which substantially reduces the reduction time after straining. I can toss a carcass or bones in the pot, brown them in oil, toss in the aromatics and water to barely cover, heat until the indicator is at the lower mark (to avoid boiling), an in 30 - 60 minutes have a very decent stock, which has approximately the concentration of a 2:1 reduction and can then be further reduced as needed. Be sure to let the pressure come down on its own after removing from the heat (as opposed to any of the quicker methods such as holdong the closed pot under cold tap water, or releasing the pressure valve). Otherwise the contents which will be hotter than 212F will boil agressively whenthe lid is opened, making the stock cloudy.

I have 3 sizes which share the same lid (though I have 2 lids), and one is always on my stovetop.

Eat well

Geekdoc

OK, this afternoon I caught myself all nonchalant-like comparison-shopping for pressure cookers. eBay, Amazon.com, you know -- the usual suspects.

It's the eGullet Curse. Either that or the eGullet Blessing. Perhaps there was some collaborative encouragement from growing encroachments on available cooking time, or from persistent pleasant memories of my Mom's stuffed rolled flank steak emerging from the cast-aluminum Presto not unlike Botticelli's Venus from the ocean, or from my 12-year-old son being as tall as I am and showing no signs of slowing down in fact speeding up.

But still, I mean to say: Who'da thunken?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter