• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Mini Pizza Tour (With Pictures!)

jrichman

On Saturday, Kobi and I took advantage of the thawing temperatures to conduct our third "food day" and check out a few of Manhattan's more well respected pizzerias (the first two can be found here and here ).

The four on the agenda for Saturday were Sal and Carmine's, Patsy's East Harlem, Arturo's and DeMarco's. Our first stop was Sal and Carmine's, which we arrived at about 5 minutes before opening (noon) and watched through the window as the first pizzas of the day were pulled from the oven. We ordered two slices - a plain and one with spinach, had them both cut in half, then enjoyed:

gallery_26061_4270_18073.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_16487.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_15623.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_125118.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_145410.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_124363.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_73739.jpg

S and C's is about as good a "slice" place as we've been to. The sauce was on the sweeter side and the crust VERY thin, which really made the ingredients the stars and the crust just a medium through which they were presented. The place itself was cool, too, with an old school feel to it. The spinach slice wasn't as good as the original, as the spinach was a little more bitter than we expected. 7.50 for both slices and a bottle of water.

Our second stop forever changed our perspective on good pizza. After taking the 3 train to 116th Street, and then walking a few blocks through a fun, lively, neighborhood, we arrived at Patsy's East Harlem. Having read many reviews, both on EG and elsewhere, that were both good and bad, we didn't know quite what to expect. After a surprisingly long (20 minutes?) wait after ordering, our pizza finally arrived - half plain, half fresh mozzarella. The first bite of the first fresh mozz slice was intoxicating- the flavors meshed perfectly, the crust was charred just right and the sauce had a basic, yet amazing, flavor to it. I literally took a few seconds to close my eyes and just enjoy the flavor. The plain pizza was almost as good, although after the fresh mozz slice it was certainly put in an unfair position for comparison. A great, great pizza in a fun, relaxed, historic ambiance, you can certainly count us as being firmly in the corner of those who support Patsy's pizza supremacy. 20 dollars, including tip, for the pizza and a soda.

gallery_26061_4270_8794.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_24836.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_144188.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_180646.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_109329.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_8658.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_1384.jpg

Our next stop was an unsuccessful one. After walking back to the 6 train and riding down to Bleeker Street, we arrived at Arturo's around 2:30 only to learn it didn't open on Saturdays until 4!

gallery_26061_4270_78122.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_116198.jpg

Frustrated, we continued on down Houston Street to DeMarco's, excited to see what Dom's progeny (although we are familiar with the controversy surrounding the validity of the family ties), could do to uphold the family legacy. We had two slices - one square and one plain - and were not nearly as impressed as we were in our first trip to Midwood. The plain slice was a little greasy and not terribly flavorful, far from one of Dom's works of art. The square slice was much better, with a different, more flavorful sauce and would definitely be our first choice if we return. 7.50 for the two slices and a bottle of water.

gallery_26061_4270_28141.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_174978.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_85898.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_52979.jpg

gallery_26061_4270_58772.jpg

A great trip with some great pizza, I feel comfortable in saying that Patsy's has jumped to the top grouping in both of our favorite pizza lists.

Nice report.

I've had any number of De Marco's slices to soak up the booze from Pegu Club on my way to the subway home. By now they've had plenty of time to work out any kinks, and I think it's safe to say that they're a big disappointment. Mushy crusts topped with rubbery cheese and an overly salty sauce that tastes of Chef Boyardee.

--

Agree on the DeMarco's reportage...it just ain't that good.

We recently got a take out pie from Patsy's that was done in about 3 minutes and was scarfed in the car in about the same amount of time! 3 of us could easily have devoured another large...it's amazingly light for pizza.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I enjoyed that report, too. Interestingly enough, the last time I was at Patsy's (last summer), I found the regular pizza better than the fresh mozzarella one.

Michael aka "Pan"

I was JRichman's co-conspirator on this trip and it was great, particularly Patsy's as he described. Taking in to account total experience, my current personal list is Totonno's Coney Island (loved the pizza, loved the atmosphere) followed by Patsy's EH (amazing pizza, not much atmosphere) and then DiFara (transcendant pizza, just so hard to plan to go b/c of unpredictable waits). Taking just taste in to account, I would probably go DiFara - Patsy's - Totonno's CI - Una Pizza Nap..

Just one man's opinion.

Next up on our tour are Arturo's, Giorgionne's, Denino's, Franny's and Luzzo's.

- KOBI

Edited by Kobi (log)

I love the passion you guys are putting into this.....However, I believe that lemon ice you slurped in the Bronx should have been followed up with one the best slices you'll ever experience.......Louie and Ernie's......light as air crust w/aperfect crisp and char, slightly sweet sc, super prem mozz........family owned and operated since opening......so worth checking out.

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2006/01/re...ouie_ernies.php

That wasn't chicken