• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New baking & Desserts Books 2007

ALTAF

Interesting books will be published in 2007:

- The essentail Baker

- The best bake sale cookbook

- The art of desserts

- icebox cakes

- panna cotta

- The sweet spot: asian inspired desserts

- Apassion for Baking "Marcy Goldmen"

Know any more?

Emily Luchetti has a new book coming out called Classic Stars Desserts: Favorite Recipes by Emily Luchetti, which combines the best recipes from her Stars Desserts and Four-Star Desserts (which are both out of print). I don't have either of those, so I'll probably check out the new one.

mikki: I know about Emily Luchetti new book, but i did not list it because i think it's a bout classic desserts......I'm looking for somthing new. Is there somthing new in her book?

JacobCooks: Yes i think it's by: Pichet Ong

mikki:  I know about  Emily Luchetti new book, but i did not list it because i think it's a bout classic desserts......I'm looking for somthing new. Is there somthing new  in her book?

From the description on Amazon, it doesn't sound like there is anything new.

Thought I'd add this to the list.

"Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner" by The Culinary Institute of America.

I wonder if it's going to be in the textbook format like some of the other C.I.A. books, or in a regular cookbook format.

You can get the King Arthur magazine at Barnes and Noble.

Shirley Corriher is supposed to come out with a baking book, but that's been in the works for some time.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Savory Sweets by Amy Felder is coming out in February. It offers pastry chefs the keys to the culinary side of the kitchen, using culinary ingredients and cooking techniques to develop plated desserts. Yea, I know, some of this we have seen before but this is the first systematic look at the mergance of the two worlds. It looks like it will be a great resource book.

• 4 weeks later...

According to a conversation with Sherry Yard posted on David Lebovitz's site, Yard will be coming out with a new book in the fall called Desserts by the Yard: From Brooklyn to Beverly Hills, Recipes from the Sweetest Life Ever.

• Similar Content

• By cteavin
      I posted this on YouTube the other day and thought I'd post it here. Personally, when I make them for me I only use Erythritol (a sugar substitute) but depending on the friend sugar or a blend of the two. Unlike other zucchini brownies, these don't use egg white, so they're not cake-y, but dense and fudgy. 

Oh, and because I use whey protein, they're higher in protein and good for post-workout bite. 

Ingredients
      300 -400 grams zucchini 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute 1/2 cup cocoa 1-2 tablespoons flavoring (brandy, rum, vanilla, etc) 2 shots of espresso (or instant, 60ml/2oz) 2 egg yolks 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 cup whey protein (or milk powder) 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but adds nice flavor)   1. Mince the zucchini in the food processor with the salt.
      2. Add the sugar or sugar substitute and process until the sugar is dissolved.
      3. Bloom your cocoa: In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa with HOT espresso and your flavorings (including cinnamon). Stir until mostly dissolved.
      4. To the food processor add the cocoa mixture and two egg yolks and blend together.
      5. Add the whey protein or milk powder to the mixture and blend together.
      6. Add the oatmeal and blend.
      7. Add the flour and pulse to incorporate (in other words, try not to over mix).
      8. Pour into a brownie pan and bake for 20-30 minutes at 180C/350F
    • By ojisan
      Does anyone have any thoughts about Alice Waters' new "40 Years of Chez Panisse"? Not a recipe cookbook - more of a memoir/history/picture book.
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      In hopes of sleeping better, etc, etc, I have currently given up gluten, dairy and now sugar.  The gluten and dairy pose no problems...the sugar does.  I am not happy using mannitol or erythritol or any of those artificial sweeteners...they give me severe digestive problems.   But I can tolerate stevia very nicely.  The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be much sweetened with this ingredient.

I do have a carob/coconut oil/peanut butter/stevia candy of sorts.  I don't really like it all that much, but it does work.  That's about it.

Has anyone any recipes for desserts using stevia?  Thanks.