• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail Order Food

Tracy K.

Has anyone ever ordered from "Home Bistro"?  I've received catalogs from them, and the concept of complete meals by mail is appealing for gift purposes for older folks.

I have! The food is good, but a little bland to my taste. Almost everything is boil-in-bag (don't know about the desserts), and I've found the food takes a little longer to cook than the directions state. They aren't overly packaged; everything's in plastic bags - nice for a crowded freezer. My price worked out to about $15 a meal including shipping. Overall, I was favorably impressed with the food and the service.

I have ordered several for myself and sent them as gifts to good friends who were celebrating their 55th anniversary, back in July, and would be unable to go out to dinner because they were taking care of a grandchild. I have sent several to my dad.

I have yet to be disappointed.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was intrigued, googled them, and found their site. It looks great, and I was just about to order some meals, when I checked the ingredients.

In one pork roast meal I found disodium inosinate, disodium guanlyate, BHT, and several kinds of partially hydrogenated oils.

Am I the only one turned off by these things?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Doesn't bother me, I'm not going to be eating them exclusively, just once in a while.

It's no worse than the stuff that is injected into hams.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

We just sent one to my son, who was alone in DC over Christmas cuz his girlfriend went home to family.

He does not cook and so was thrilled to have it. The directions were great.

He would highly recommend it.

We just sent one to my son, who was alone in DC over Christmas cuz his girlfriend went home to family.

He does not cook and so was thrilled to have it.  The directions were great.

He would highly recommend it.

I thought Home Bistro was decent. I ordered 3 different items to try. I like that you rehead the food via boiling water (drop their sealed bag into the water) rather than microwave. By the time you add in the shipping, the stuff isn't cheap, but worth a try.

Mark

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child