• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge (Round 1)

Kerry Beal

Thank-you! I should have plated another one though...the ice-cream is off-center on this cake. Ah well.  :wink:

Ling the whole thing is so beautiful. If you hadn't said anything we'd never know it wasn't on purpose. In fact, I like it off center.

I agree - I thought you placed it off center on purpose. It's a wonderful execution and I would love to taste it.

It looks and sounds delicous. It's neat that you were able to maintain an upside-down element.

I love the look of the brittle with the openings in the middle and how you incorporated the brittle as both a vertical and a horizontal garnish; a very successful look.

I would certainly order this, just based on the description!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Lorna:

You rose to the occasion beautifully! I really like the way your new dish responds to the concept of an upside-down cake. As a re/visionary baker, you are more literal than the creator of the original dessert and irreverent at the same time. For that reason, I'd consider this a Postmodern version of a modern recipe.

Out of curiosity, what did you think about the cherry flavor in the ice cream combined with pineapple?

P.S. Am I guessing who you might have asked to face the next challenge correctly?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Thank-you! I should have plated another one though...the ice-cream is off-center on this cake. Ah well.  :wink:

Dont point out your mistakes, thats part of the art. If you tear apart your creation, how can you ever appreciate the work? :wink:

Looks wonderful, excellent positioning on the pieces I say.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

^Yes, maybe 2 or 3 slices of the jelly roll. No more caramel left. (Caramel is my downfall...I just spoon it straight into my mouth, without thinking about all that heavy cream and butter. :wacko: ) Some pineapple that did not go into the caramel. And a bit of ice-cream. Brittle got soft b/c of the humidity. I did an impressive job eating more than my fair share of that dessert today. :blink:

Thanks for all the compliments! :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

All in all, it is a very simple dessert to execute. I don't think any baker should have any trouble putting this together at home, so I hope my recipe is accessible. Thanks for playing along with me...now it's time for the next challenge! I am waiting to hear back from the person I PMed...I think he has until tonight (~24 hrs.) to respond. If not, I have another talented (pro) baker I want to tag.  :wink:

I'll post the recipe in Recipe Gullet soon.

You didn't talk at all about how it tasted :sad:.

PS: I am a guy.

Well, I had commented on how the components tasted as I made them. The spice cake was just the sponge cake recipe that I made earlier in the week, with the addition of a bit of molasses and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper). Though this pineapple was much sweeter, I do think the spice component made the overall dessert more interesting.

The caramel is just my basic caramel that I always do. I eyeball everything, but I wrote down approximate amounts in the recipe (1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of whipping cream, 1/2 cup of butter, bit of vanilla or liqueur, and bit of salt). Then I reduce it on medium heat until it gets really thick. Many recipes use less cream and butter for that amount of sugar, but I think this is the right sweetness level for me...and you can achieve the same consistency of a thick caramel as long as you reduce it.

The brown sugar and cherry ice-cream was good the first day I churned it, though I noted in the recipe that I would try using more yolks next time. I do love a really yolk-y ice-cream!

The sauteed pineapple was also pretty tasty with the bit of lift from the Grand Marnier.

All in all, it was a pretty good dessert. I have different temperatures going on (cold ice-cream, hot pineapple), different texture (crispy brittle, creamy ice-cream), and kept true to the flavours of the original dessert. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)