• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chufi - Birthday Cakes & Royal Celebrations

Chufi

I have the same butter plate!

I have a new friend who is Dutch and she was astounded by my knowledge of Dutch home cooking :biggrin: She loves homey dishes and cooks them for her family but didn't think they would be of interest to anyone else. Au contraire, I pointed her to eGullet and your posts so your recipes are coming full circle, so to speak.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

happy Queensday everybody!

gallery_28661_3_35752.jpg

So, we got up at 5:30 and set up our little shop.

records:

gallery_28661_3_72066.jpg

and books, mostly cookbooks:

gallery_28661_3_68211.jpg

(MelissaH, you might recognize that book on the bottom row :smile: )

gallery_28661_3_108069.jpg

Fortunately, there were people selling coffee just opposite our stall:

gallery_28661_3_82043.jpg

Breakfast: coffee and baklava

gallery_28661_3_5637.jpg

Girls we know come from Belgium every year with their wafflemaker

gallery_28661_3_74729.jpg

really good waffles!

gallery_28661_3_91196.jpg

Everyone is selling all sorts of stuff.. yes, lots of junk that you can't imagine anyone will want to buy...

gallery_28661_3_107179.jpg

This lady was selling some very tasty looking cookies, turns out they were homemade dog biscuits

gallery_28661_3_27271.jpg

Cakes and coffee:

gallery_28661_3_85941.jpg

Some people are a little more careless about the presentation :biggrin:

gallery_28661_3_78113.jpg

Quiches and sandwiches:

gallery_28661_3_54976.jpg

Galettes:

gallery_28661_3_26613.jpg

I also made some sadwiches at home: brie and tomato and chorizo omelet

gallery_28661_3_63506.jpg

We did not go hungry :smile:

At 11, the beer starts to flow:

gallery_28661_3_47088.jpg

It got really really busy!

gallery_28661_3_14596.jpg

We did pretty well, and sold quite a lot.

And here's how you have to transport everything you did not sell, back up again

gallery_28661_3_77273.jpg

Now, I'm gonna take a nap, and then we'll go out and eat somewhere, don't know where yet!

Do any of you ever stop and think about how COOL this blogging thing is?  Remember 15 years ago when you'd never heard of a blog and had no idea Butter-Braised Beef even existed?  Or Queensday garage sales?  Or how stroopwaffels are made?

I was just telling my husband something similar last night (he doesn't get my fascination with reading about food, he prefers to eat it :raz: ).

As I sit here in suburban NJ and listen to the buzz of lawnmovers and contemplate what to grill on the 'cue tonight...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

It's almost noon here, so I suppose your day is winding down---hope you're all dressed up and OUT for a lovely dinner. I loved the pics of all the comings and goings, from your breakfast before work to your break in the garden, to all the crowds and festivities (bright, cheery orange everywhere!!--reminds me of my first kitchen. They asked what color; I said bright and cheerful, and it was ORANGE everywhere except the appliances and cabinets--think Brady Bunch).

The strolling customers, the foodstalls (I'd choose that devil-may-care anvil waffle any day, much more interesting than those regimented perfectly-square ranks) and your stock of wares. I checked out all the titles, and have only one of the ones you were offering for sale---the Parker (Sunny & Spenser :wub: Jesse Stone :wub::wub:)

What a fun day!! And I LOVE the fifth-story "elevator" contraption. I always picture that with a piano somehow, creaking its weighty way up to a loft).

Looking forward to tomorrow's dinner party.

Edited by racheld (log)

[...]

and books, mostly cookbooks:

gallery_28661_3_68211.jpg

(MelissaH, you might recognize that book on the bottom row  :smile: )

[...]

I have met a few Netherlanders (in Pennsylvania, "Dutch" is a reserved word describing another ethnic group), and every one I've met so far spoke excellent English.

Judging from this display, Dutch-English bilingualism must be widespread in the Netherlands. Is it?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Klary, the various breakfast items in your blog triggered one of the few memories I have of Amsterdam from 1962 (I was 13 at the time) - a typical hotel breakfast consisted of bread, cheese & cold cuts - not what we think of as "breakfast sausage" here in the US, but the kinds of sausage that we would normally have for lunch. I remember that this struck us at the time because we did a grand tour that summer, spending close to 2 months in many different countries, and no other place had anything similar at that time.

So I'm wondering to what, if any, extent this still represents a "typical" Dutch breakfast 44 years later.

Of course, hotel breakfasts don't always represent what folks typically have at home, so I have no idea if we were being served anything that was common in homes even then.

(Suddenly I'm amused at the fact that, from all the wondrous things we saw that summer, I still remember odd bits about the food. No wonder I'm here on eGullet.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Klary, the various breakfast items in your blog triggered one of the few memories I have of Amsterdam from 1962 (I was 13 at the time) - a typical hotel breakfast consisted  of bread, cheese & cold cuts - not what we think of as "breakfast sausage" here in the US, but the kinds of sausage that we would normally have for lunch.  I remember that this struck us at the time because we did a grand tour that summer, spending close to 2 months in many different countries, and no other place  had anything similar at that time.

So I'm wondering to what, if any, extent this still represents a "typical" Dutch breakfast 44 years later.

In January, in the northern part of Belgium (Gent and Ieper), we had exactly what you describe: bread, cheese, and cold cuts (typically ham and salami). Tea or coffee, and in Ieper we were also served boiled eggs and Kwatta chocolate spread to go with the bread. It was all yummy, and I'd like to find some boerenwurst or a recipe for it in the US!

Klary, the book was that good? :wink:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Klary, the various breakfast items in your blog triggered one of the few memories I have of Amsterdam from 1962 (I was 13 at the time) - a typical hotel breakfast consisted  of bread, cheese & cold cuts - not what we think of as "breakfast sausage" here in the US, but the kinds of sausage that we would normally have for lunch.  I remember that this struck us at the time because we did a grand tour that summer, spending close to 2 months in many different countries, and no other place  had anything similar at that time.

In January, in the northern part of Belgium (Gent and Ieper), we had exactly what you describe: bread, cheese, and cold cuts (typically ham and salami). Tea or coffee, and in Ieper we were also served boiled eggs and Kwatta chocolate spread to go with the bread. It was all yummy, and I'd like to find some boerenwurst or a recipe for it in the US!

Klary, the book was that good? :wink:

MelissaH

I've been served a similar breakfast throughout Germany and Austria as well. Bread, butter, cold cuts, soft boiled eggs and coffee.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Klary, love the blog! I've enjoyed your posts on the dinner thread, and this is a wonderful window into your world. Amsterdam is one of my favorite towns, and I feel like I'm back there, having a stroll through that enchanting place.

i loved your blog (and your dutch cooking thread, and all of your other posts!)

i'm originally from south africa (tons of dutch influence there) and lots of your cooking rmeinds me of traditional Afrikaaner food. thanks for rekindling my fond memories of home and documenting your talents!

I've been served a similar breakfast throughout Germany and Austria as well.  Bread, butter, cold cuts, soft boiled eggs and coffee.

Interesting. We were in Germany & Austria that same trip but never encountered the cold cuts & cheese there.

OTOH, just a few years ago, in Verona, we encountered the Italian version of this - prosciutto, pancetta, salami, a couple of other cured meats. They also served champagne - that was one happy hotel! Only place in Italy we encountered such a spread.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Iceland also with the breakfast cold cuts...rye and multi grain breads, veggies, hard boiled egg slices.

Its called roughly schmoerbroed (definately not spelled right).

When I saw the hotel buffet I remembered an old episode of David Rosengarten's show, so I knew how to build and eat breakfast :wink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We went to dinner last night with friends who live in the centre of Amsterdam and desperatly wanted to get a way from the 4 different open air house parties that were going on around them, so we drove to Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, a little town just a 20 minute drive from Amsterdam. The river Amstel is the same river that runs through Amsterdam:

gallery_28661_3_40583.jpg

We had some trouble finding a place that wasn't either full, closed or filled with dancing people dressed in orange, but finally ended up at Praq, where neither of us had been, and were pleasantly surprised

gallery_28661_3_58434.jpg

Starters:

truffled egg salad on toast, with smoked eel

gallery_28661_3_67224.jpg

bacon pancake with duckliver and pear syrup

gallery_28661_3_67201.jpg

oysters

gallery_28661_3_9627.jpg

Mains:

veal schnitzel with belgian endive

gallery_28661_3_15169.jpg

Beef fillet with potato rosti, bacon, bearnaisesauce

gallery_28661_3_42298.jpg

really good frites

gallery_28661_3_38843.jpg

and some Dutch cheeses to finish

gallery_28661_3_41711.jpg

Wine:

gallery_28661_3_16828.jpg

Now, it's 9 am in Amsterdam and I have some party-prepping to do!

See you all later

Edited by Chufi (log)

A typical Dutch breakfast is indeed sliced bread, with butter and cheeses and/or cold cuts.

Often there will also be sweet things on the table: peanutbutter, jams, nutelaa, and various 'sprinkles' (chocolate, aniseed, etc.)

gallery_28661_3_1564.jpg

I should have known better than to try something pastry-like I've never done before, on a day like today.

I pulled them from the oven too soon, and they collapsed, oh wait I did not pull them out too soon, because the bottom were already burned.

:angry:

I am not happy.

Edited by Chufi (log)

gallery_28661_3_1564.jpg

I should have known better than to try something pastry-like I've never done before, on a day like today.

I pulled them from the oven too soon, and they collapsed, oh wait I did not pull them out too soon, because the bottom were already burned.

:angry:

I am not happy.

What were you trying to make? What type of pastry is it? I can't tell from the photo.

What were you trying to make? What type of pastry is it? I can't tell from the photo.

choux puffs :laugh:

Well, I'm not really laughing! second batch came out better, but then I did not have enough, and had to make more batter.

2 more hours before the guests arrive and my house is a mess (and so am I :shock: )

I keep running up to my computer to see if somebody will have something encouraging to say ..

Edited by Chufi (log)

Don't worry Klary. You always have beautiful parties. I always panic before a party and it always turns out nice. And, I always promise myself that I won't panic again.

Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine, take a quick shower and ask your husband for some help. :smile:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

choux puffs  :laugh:

Well, I'm not really laughing! second batch came out better, but then I did not have enough, and had to make more batter.

2 more hours before the guests arrive and my house is a mess (and so am I  :shock: )

I keep running up to my computer to see if somebody will have something encouraging to say ..

Those look like the first time I tried to make choux puffs. They can be a bit fiddly, so don't feel bad! As others have said, I'm sure your guests will eat tremendously well :smile:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

You can do it!!! I have faith.

And the guests ARE there for you, and not the food, so don't sweat it too much. Add to that the fact that excellent for them is probably middling for you - you're a star, so don't worry that you won't blow them away. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007