• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Risotto--Cook-Off 21

Chris Amirault

I didn't even know it was possible to make 2 hour risotto.

I use arborio rice, my 14 inch all-clad skillet and make 20 minute risotto all the time.

If your stock was hot, maybe it was bad rice or maybe your heat wasn't high enough.

I have also found that you don't have to stir constantly. A good stir when you put in each ladle full you can putz around the kitchen attending other things, feeding a toddler, etc. and stir it every so often and it turns out just fine, do change in creaminess or anything disernable.

Good luck. Don't give up.

Very cool. Thanks, andiesenji! How long do you keep your rice? I assume it becomes unusable at some age. Since this is my first foray into the world of risotto, I'm not sure how long rice keeps. (BTW, the rice I bought didn't have an expiration on it.)

Arborio rice does go rancid much more quickly than other rices. Keep it in an air tight container, in a dark cabinet and use within a year.

I only saw one other type of rice that was in a (cloth, I think) bag at our local grocery store. Sounds like I may have to look around a little more to find what I need. I'll check on that other type of rice and see what brand it is.

Thanks for the advice on storing rice! And for the recommendation on Carnaroli. :smile:

Well, I'm pretty sure there were a few different types of rice in the cloth bags. One of which was arborio, I believe. They were just a different brand. I would not be surprised if one of those types was the Bomba rice, though.

Long grain white rice, (Basmati, Jasmine, and the various types grown in the U.S., including Carolina Gold, can be kept for years. In fact, many Indian rices of this type are deliberately aged. I have some pink Madagascar rice from the same vendor I mentioned above, that is said to be better with some aging.

I buy a "pearl rice" from a local store that sells it in bulk and it keeps very well because I had a gallon jar half full that had been "hiding" in back of some other containers in my pantry for maybe two years. I cooked some and it was fine.

There are colored rices that have the husk removed and they keep well but I keep them in the freezer just to be on the safe side - they are expensive and I don't want to waste my money.

Whole brown rices do not keep well at all - keep them in the freezer, they will keep many times longer this way - in plastic Ziplock bags, double-bagged.

I have had no problems keeping Calrose short grain rice, sushi rice and arborio for fairly long periods but I cook a lot of rice. My rice cooker gets a regular workout several times a week.

I haven't kept the carnaroli rice long enough to know if it keeps well. I am making risotto this evening.

I like to buy the specialty rices online. Their turnover is much higher than many stores and I like the various types, I blend them too.

Another favorite vendor is Barry Farm and I also buy a lot of unusual grains from them. I've never gotten a batch that had any "hitch-hikers" from them, something that I cannot say about local stores.

http://www.barryfarm.com/rice.htm

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

MrSpiffy - I too have been using RiceSelect Arborio for my risotto. I have found that it can take up to almost 3 cups of broth for 1/2 cup of rice. I keep the rice bubbling and taste the rice before adding each ladle of broth after the first 15 minutes. The batch I made tonight absorbed 2 1/2 cups broth, 1/4 cup wine, and was ready to my taste about 25 minutes after adding the first liquid. I use an electric range, a chef's pan, and a wooden spoon. I've not made batches any larger than this so don't know if the size of your batch had any effect on your cooking time. HTH!