• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner around Broad and Washington

Jeff L

OK, what are some standouts in this area? We don't often get here and would like some ideas. We've eaten at Felicia's many times and I don't think it's as good as it was when they first opened. How about any newer byo's in the area, we don't mind walking a bit.

We're open to most cuisine probably leaning to Italian and or French, but if folks here think a place is outstanding, we'll certainly give it a try.

What's that BYOB on Broad just north of Oregon?

Possibly the same owner as old standby Io e Tu?

And if you go that far down, LÁngolo is an option as well.

Cafe de Laos and Porky & Porkie's at 11th and Washington are available for Laotian-Thai and semi-Korean BBQ, although my impression of your request is that you're thinking clsser to the BYOB style semi-fine dining.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I haven't been here, i walk by it all of the time but it's very close to Broad and washington.

August

1247 S 13th St

Philadelphia, PA 19147 

Cross Street: Wharton Street

I've been here once and it was pretty good. Service was quite nice and the food was far more interesting than I would have imagined. Cute little BYO.

If you're leaning toward French then just walk the six blocks to Pif if you haven't been. For Italian I agree that you'll have to go a bit further south on Broad. L'Angolo, Scannichio's or Criniti's would all fit the bill.

The place you're thinking of on Broad Street is called Pesto. Io e Tu is owned by the sister of one of Pesto's owners, I think. Never been but I've heard it's cute and homey, if not mind blowing. Near Tasker-Morris subway stop.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Friends went to Felicia's for Valentine's Day and said it was just awful. I didn't ask them to elaborate, however...

Our last meal wasn't awful, just not memorable. We used to go a lot years ago and it was really quite good, fresh pastas, nice food all around, but not so anymore.

As many have raved about Pif and we've not been, looks like we will end up there. I'll report back!

As many have raved about Pif and we've not been, looks like we will end up there. I'll report back!

Don't forget to make a reservation. The place is tiny.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks, I will. Anyone care to comment on the quality of the food at Pif since Mr./Mrs. Ansil opened Ansil's? I've read nice reviews about it but not since the new place opened. Is the same chef still at Pif?

Thanks, I will. Anyone care to comment on the quality of the food at Pif since Mr./Mrs. Ansil opened Ansil's? I've read nice reviews about it but not since the new place opened. Is the same chef still at Pif?

Haven't been back to Pif since Ansill's opening but I would guess the food is as good as ever. Most of the cooking is done by the sous chef, who is still there. I believe his name is also David. And David Ansill is still very present at Pif, I hear.

David Ansill hasn't been in the kitchen for a long while now and the current chef , David Kane, is solid. Still great food. An old favorite. Get the entrecote if it's on the menu.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

• 9 months later...

I used to bus tables at Felicia's back in the day and I'm jonesing for some good, no-nonsense Italian. I'm thinking of heading there tonight. Anybody been there recently? I've been to Villa a few times in the past couple months so I'm looking for something slightly different.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I'm not sure when you're going, but keep in mind they're now open just Thur.-Sun.

I'm going Saturday, so if your visit is past that I'll definitely comment. I have been since Ansill's opening, and it was as good as always.

As far as who's cooking... I thought some of the reasons David Ansill was thinking of dropping Pif was that he wanted to spend less time there - meaning that he currently does - and that he has had trouble finding a chef to run the kitchen. Still, I don't have that from the horse's mouth, like some here, so I'll defer to their insight.

I have zero insider information, but I ate at Pif in early December and David Ansill was in the kitchen and made several forays into the dining room to chat with patrons. Maybe I just got lucky, but he was there on at least one night.

As far as who's cooking... I thought some of the reasons David Ansill was thinking of dropping Pif was that he wanted to spend less time there - meaning that he currently does - and that he has had trouble finding a chef to run the kitchen. Still, I don't have that from the horse's mouth, like some here, so I'll defer to their insight.

I don't profess to know David Ansill at all (Shacke and Katie, and perhaps a few others probably can contribute more) but based on previous readings & semi-educated speculation, I understood the reasoning behind choosing to be sell Pif is:

slightly easier to sell than Ansill b/c smaller, cheaper w/o liquor license,

longer history

Ansill open for a shorter time period, so must give it more time to grow

David Ansill too busy to operate both for the next few years (and perhaps David Kane doesn't want to run either for an extended period?)

Please correct if wrong.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Just want to give a quick update, but I did go to Felicia's last night, and it might have been one of the more disappointing dinners I've had in a while. The food was completely mediocre, but that wasn't even really the problem. It was the fact that I walked in at 8 and the place was damn near empty.

I remember that place used to be packed all night long, with waiters hustling all over the place, food flying out of the kitchen, and bottles of wine being passed all around. I started to wonder if that was all just a figment of my imagination. I was actually excited to go there, but instead I felt like a character from a movie who goes back to his old haunts just to find them broken down and beat up. There was also a "for sale by owner" sign hanging up outside, which I must admit made me nervous even before I stepped in the place. The bell tolls...

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Just want to give a quick update, but I did go to Felicia's last night, and it might have been one of the more disappointing dinners I've had in a while.  The food was completely mediocre, but that wasn't even really the problem. It was the fact that I walked in at 8 and the place was damn near empty.

I remember that place used to be packed all night long, with waiters hustling all over the place, food flying out of the kitchen, and bottles of wine being passed all around. I started to wonder if that was all just a figment of my imagination. I was actually excited to go there, but instead I felt like a character from a movie who goes back to his old haunts just to find them broken down and beat up. There was also a "for sale by owner" sign hanging up outside, which I must admit made me nervous even before I stepped in the place. The bell tolls...

It's really too bad about this place. It wasn't your imagination, when they first opened, it was really a great little place with really good food. I would never go back after our last time there a year or so ago

I can put in an enthusiastic recommendation for Kristian's, if you want Italian. Its just a block down on 11th Street from Felicia's. It's not BYO, but they have some reasonably-priced bottles. The food is consistantly excellent, and the service warm and efficient.