• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "new black"? Black sesame seeds in desserts

Gifted Gourmet

It's better described as a glutinous rice ball, I guess. I think of it as a little bun, but it's steamed, so it must be glutinous rice.

Hmm, that link takes me straight to the recipe. PM me if you like and I'll send it to you.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm looking for recipes that use black sesame seeds or black sesame paste pluse matcha green tea powder.

I f you have a delicious one please post it here. There was a recipe "black sesame dice" was featured in LA Times .com (february 2006)but some how i lost it, i would be greatful if any one has it for me.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I'm looking for recipes that use black sesame seeds or black sesame paste pluse matcha green tea powder.

I f you have a delicious one please post it here. There was a recipe "black sesame dice" was featured in LA Times .com (february 2006)but some how i lost it, i would be greatful if any one has it for me.

Google found it here:

Symphony in Black

On a related note, here's a blurb from the May'06 issue of Dairy Foods magazine:

Haagen Dazs has introduced a new black sesame-flavored ice cream in Japan. This seasonal item is made with black sesame paste. This introduction follows the "black foods" trend found strictly in Asia Pacific. Black foods consist of anything from black sesame to black vinegar to black soybean. The health benefits of black foods include blood thinning, lowered blood pressure, improved blood circulation, lowered cholesterol and improved energy levels.

That paste...

If you have a Chinatown near you, Abra, ask about a dessert called "zhi ma hu." You can buy it in little sachets and add hot water, or cook them. I think.

Well, its kind of simple to make the dessert, we make it ourself and if you are willing to have a go, let me know and I'll post the recipe... :cool:

Cheers...

Don

Cheers...

Don

Like a couple people have mentioned, black sesame seed products are very popular in Japan and have been for quite some time now.

I recently picked up this black sesame cream puff, with a black sesame custard inside as well (the gray stuff in the bottom right).

gallery_6134_2590_3153.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I will say this for various black sesame desserts, that while they taste very good, they look very unappetizing. I've seen pictures of black sesame ice cream from Japan and it looks like industrial concrete.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Like a couple people have mentioned, black sesame seed products are very popular in Japan and have been for quite some time now.

I recently picked up this black sesame cream puff, with a black sesame custard inside as well (the gray stuff in the bottom right).

What about the taste?

I will say this for various black sesame desserts, that while they taste very good, they look very unappetizing. I've seen pictures of black sesame ice cream from Japan and it looks like industrial concrete.

:biggrin: You're right, it does. But it tastes great anyway. :raz:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

What about the taste?

Sorry about that! It was really good. :biggrin:

The pastry was soft because they kept it refrigerated and the custard was on the runny side because I left it unrefrigerated for a good 30- 40 minutes but I would definitely buy it again.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I had an incredible dessert with black sesame seed at El Bulli recently (yes, I'll be posting on it soon).

picture here

It was a hummingbird. The body and wings were formed from different types of ice-creams and jellies, fruit and floral flavoured. The head was formed from a bulb of caramel which extended beyond the edge of the plate into a long delicate beak. The bulb was filled with liquid sesame, and we were instructed to crack the head with our spoon and pour the contents over the dish as a sauce. It was spectacular. There were drifts of crunchy sesame seeds in two textures and a mandarin flower powder.