• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tejon - Pepper Steak and Power Tools

tejon

If they can't help you, let me know the model number and the exact size - and a photo would help, and I will check with my small appliance repair guy.  He has been able to find some of the most obscure parts for some of my antique appliances- I think he is a wizard or something - He found an insert for a hot fudge heater made in the early '50s (the kind that was in every coffee shop or cafe).

Andie, I called them and was told that they don't handle parts for the National brand. Worth the try, though. The cooker we have is a National, model number SR-EA10N. It holds up to 5 cups of rice. Here's a picture. Thanks for your help on this - we really love the cooker and hate to give it up just because the bowl needs replacement.

gallery_9138_3_96016.jpg

Wonder how much the replacement bowl would cost?

This looks like the successor model to your rice cooker. It's $90.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Over? It's OVER? Geez, this week seems short! Thank you for blogging for us, and good luck with your move! Any chance of selling copies of that family cookbook?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I'm sorry to see this blog end, as well. You're beautiful and your husband is handsome, so your children's looks aren't accidental. :laugh: You seem to have a really nice family, and you cook well for them. I join in wishing you luck with the move, and I look forward to seeing what foodstuffs you find in your new home.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yay, I'm glad to finally put a face to the name, blog, and faucet. :wink:

(Kathy helped me out with a faucet project I had to write for work.)

Really enjoying this blog - your school lunches are particularly inspiring. I have such issues with those!!

I do have a question with the pizzas you send with Ryan. You said you reheat them in the toaster oven. How do you keep them warm? Or do you just reheat them to defrost and he eats them cold? I like the pizza idea. Dylan loves pizza.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Great blog this week, Kathy, thanks.

Best of luck to you and your family with the move.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

gallery_28661_3_105992.jpg

Kathy - thank you - my mother has a stack of those exact same cards with the pineapple on the left + that is exactly how they look - typed on a manual typewriter, and covered with years of food stains, sorry, kitchen medals. The one I'm thinking of is titled "Chinese Pork" and features celery, treacle + cashew nuts - the height of exotic in 1972.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I do have a question with the pizzas you send with Ryan. You said you reheat them in the toaster oven. How do you keep them warm? Or do you just reheat them to defrost and he eats them cold? I like the pizza idea. Dylan loves pizza.

I bake the pizzas just on the "not quite finished" side, since they're going to go into the toaster oven to finish, and freeze individually (lay out flat in the freezer until solid, then bag or place in tupperware). In the morning I toss one in the toaster oven for one cycle (like putting a frozen waffle in a regular toaster), then take it out and slice. The tinfoil keeps it from getting really cold, but it isn't warm any longer when Ryan eats lunch. He doesn't mind in the slightest :wink:.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Over? It's OVER? Geez, this week seems short! Thank you for blogging for us, and good luck with your move! Any chance of selling copies of that family cookbook?

I never even thought of making copies for folks outside the family....but I suppose I could make up another copy if you'd like one. It's just copies of the recipe cards, both front and back (the backs are what the rest of the family really wanted to be able to read, I think!), with hand numbered pages and an index. Though there are some great recipes in there :smile:.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Thanks for letting us into your life for a week, and good luck getting your sons to develop more adventurous palates. Hope your move to the Pacific Northwest goes smoothly!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thank you so much for responding to my early request, Kathy. I was impressed and touched by much of what you shared with us. Serving as the family's culinary archivist is a great honor. I had never seen such a collection of recipe cards before.

Yes, best wishes on your move to a place of natural beauty and four seasons.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Kathy,

Thanks for letting us into your life for a week. It's so nice to face to your posts. Hope your move goes well and you enjoy your new surroundings.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Wait - does that mean I have a little more time? This is a good thing!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, for sharing your family history, your present family life, your chocolate cookies and all those other lovely meals.. And a special thank you for an other zucchini dish in my repertoire!

All the best with your move and all the hard work that comes with it!

Terrific blog! Thanks, and enjoy the Pacific Northwest! (I'm sure we'll get periodic bulletins over the coming weeks about your progress in moving and in settling into your new hometown, right?)

Naturally! I'll probably have to work on the new kitchen as well :wink:.

Kathy

This has been such a wonderful blog! Thank you so much for sharing all your eats, your kitchen and your family with us over the last week!

I especially loved your heirloom recipe collection and would love to see a copy of them! The writings on the back of the cards are simply priceless. Would you be willing to share them with an outsider from Hawai'i? :)

ps - good luck and best wishes on your move! I, too, love the rain. Although, I have to admit that we're getting a bit much for the last few weeks. It would be nice to have something other than flash flood warnings and alerts on the radio and news!

Edited by mochihead (log)

Looks like I have until the end of today for food-ish stuff instead of yesterday, so I'll continue :smile:.

No breakfast (bad Kathy!) - just wasn't hungry at all. I had a swig of elderberry syrup and some water and that was about it. Lunch was scrounged from the refrigerator. Mmm...leftover jambalaya! I added some sliced Fuji apple and yet another cup o' tea.

gallery_28661_3_39770.jpg

I used one of my absolute favorite kitchen tools to core the apple. I got this from my Grandma's kitchen and couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was for at first. I finally admitted that I had no clue, and was told it was used for coring apples and other hard fruit. Gave it a try and I was in love. It's very sharp at the edges and does a quick job of cutting through just about any piece of produce I use it on. I use it almost every day and marvel at how well it works every single time.

gallery_28661_3_166090.jpg

Kathy

Tonight we'll have some bhel puri in an effort to empty the freezer a little. I cheated and bought bagged mix, but I won't use the sauce packet since I already have tamarind and cilantro chutneys defrosting :wink:.

gallery_9138_3_177975.jpg

Kathy

That's not really cheating- I see people buying Bhel Mix all the time, though I haven't seen one that comes with a sauce packet. It just saves the step of buying a separate sev and all those other crispies. Can't wait to see the final assemblage.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Roasted cumin that will be used later tonight:

gallery_28661_3_52077.jpg

I love the flavor of cumin once it's been roasted and ground. It gets a smoky, earthy taste that goes well with all kinds of things.

I used a coffee grinder that is used exclusively for spices. I usually toss in some oats or breadcrumbs and whir for a few moments to clean it out afterwards.

gallery_28661_3_129534.jpg

Chapati dough resting:

gallery_28661_3_119771.jpg

Kathy

I used one of my absolute favorite kitchen tools to core the apple. I got this from my Grandma's kitchen and couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was for at first. I finally admitted that I had no clue, and was told it was used for coring apples and other hard fruit. Gave it a try and I was in love. It's very sharp at the edges and does a quick job of cutting through just about any piece of produce I use it on. I use it almost every day and marvel at how well it works every single time.

gallery_28661_3_166090.jpg

What an interesting little gizmo! What does the printing embossed into the metal say? My reading-upside-down skills are a bit rusty. :smile:

The printing reads: "D. Carmichael" in all capital letters. No other markings, and I have no idea where it came from.

Kathy

A little something snacky before dinner. I cooked up some potato, then diced it along with some tomato and onion and tossed those with the dry mix. Topped it all with cilantro and tamarind chutneys that I had lurking in the freezer, then some chopped cilantro over all. The boys munched on the dry mix but wouldn't touch the final snack - more for us!

gallery_28661_3_110458.jpg

Kathy