• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a heck of a sandwich

PicnicChef

I was thinking of a chicken larb wrap w/ cashews..Throw in some toasted rice,  lime rinds,chili peppers, fish sauce.. Life is good..

Very great idea! Perhaps peanuts instead of cashews in keeping more with traditional larb?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

She made a kick butt Chicken Tikka last week! You missed it... dry it off and you'd have had a Tandoori chicken more or less! Now all she needs is naan or poori as a side or some nice earl grey mango chutney... and we'd have made her chefs cry by ordering another 5-10 plates of it! :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Someone may have mentioned this upthread, but I've been doing lots of stuff-rolled-into-lettuce lately, since we're trying to cut carbs at home. Yesterday was a take on a South Beach recipe: VA ham, mayo, provolone, green pepper, green onion, rolled into a Boston lettuce leaf. You could cut the green onion in strips to tie up the rolls. Four of these make a light lunch. One I'd also like to try would be a Vietnamese beef and noodle type filling in green or red leaf lettuce. Or fajita chicken or beef with sauteed peppers and onions, guac and/or salsa. These would be more delicate, obviously, but might fill a niche for customers trying to consume less bread.

Edited by bavila (log)

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I see a mention of a smoker upthread---how about a "Day after Thanksgiving" sandwich with warm juicy turkey breast slices, cranberry mayo, lettuce and salt. Lovely on warm rolls or croissants. A little scoop of stuffing on the side, or even rustic mashed potatoes---who hasn't made this combo on the day after?

And one that I got from I'm not telling and tweaked a bit: Paper-thin melon and proscuitto (alternate the layers of colors a couple of times) with creamcheese mayo on a sturdy sliced bread...scatter crisp crumbled bacon over top, a grind of pepper, lay on the top bread. Something crisp and salty on the side.

Hi Christine!

I had a "Food on a Stick" party last weekend and one of the things I made was mini sandwiches on a skewer. This is a great option for the indecisive.........one of the cutest sights from my dinner party was a couple trading sandwiches......he liked the ones with meat and she liked the veggies ones.

I did 2 per skewer because there was other food, but for a lunch you'd probably want three. I made:

Proscuitto, St Paulin cheese, maple mustard and hydroponic watercress.

Goat cheese, avocado, sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, sea salt and greens.

Brie, red pepper jelly and watercress.

I used sliced baguette but you could also make these with small dinner rolls.

I used grape tomatoes on either end of the sandwiches to hold them on the skewer.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Christine I have a problem... I like “The Quacker” — Seared duck breast (medium rare), foie gras and truffle pate; pear and blackberry balsamic drizzle all wrapped up. The problem is my gall bladder and/or digestive system feels it is too rich for me! -lol- :biggrin: It is really REALLY tasty to me and loaded in richness (see chol') but I shouldn't order it anymore! :laugh:

Maybe if you make a nice chicken or seafood rub I'll try that or something a bit lighter in the fat family that is NOT one of your tasty salads. Remember I have a green aversion.

May I suggest sundried tomato wrap with rubbed or blackened chicken, sliced avocado's, dried cranberries, sliced pears or other fruit of choice, roasted red peppers and sundried tomatoes? Now I think my stomach might thank you for something like that.

:wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Christine I have a problem... I like “The Quacker” — Seared duck breast (medium rare), foie gras and truffle pate; pear and blackberry balsamic drizzle all wrapped up.  The problem is my gall bladder and/or digestive system feels it is too rich for me! -lol-  :biggrin: It is really REALLY tasty to me and loaded in richness (see chol') but I shouldn't order it anymore!  :laugh:

Maybe if you make a nice chicken or seafood rub I'll try that or something a bit lighter in the fat family that is NOT one of your tasty salads.  Remember I have a green aversion.

May I suggest sundried tomato wrap with rubbed or blackened chicken, sliced avocado's, dried cranberries, sliced pears or other fruit of choice, roasted red peppers and sundried tomatoes?  Now I think my stomach might thank you for something like that.

:wub:

Oh gosh! too rich???? Check out this week. I've been smoking stuff since 6 this morning!