• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Eve Dinner

teamboom

Hello!! I'm a new member here [i introduced myself to an almost dead thread (the where have you eaten recently thread)], so please be nice!!

My boyfriend and I usually spend our Christmas Eve with his side of the family and then Christmas with my family (or vice versa), but this year his parents are going to Victoria to spend it with his stepfather's side of the family. My boyfriend doesn't like them, so he opted to stay in Vancouver with me.

That means this year we will only have one turkey dinner, with my family.

I have to work until 6pm on Christmas Eve, so I know that I won't feel like cooking at home. My question is, where should we go for dinner?

I work on West 4th but we live in the West End.

I sort of want to try some place new and yummy, but I'm very undecisive so I need some ideas (now)!

Everything is pretty much a go! Not too expensive please!!

Our usual outings for meals include Guu with Garlic (Rob's favourite), Gyoza King, Bin 941/942...

We've never been to Hapa...how is it there? Food/price/atmosphere....

Thanks heaps!! :biggrin:

There is a place on the North Shore called Le Bistro Chez Micheal that does a really good turkey dinner on Christmas Eve. they are about 2 minutes away from the seabus station. i would recomend calling ahead to see if they have any room.

Hi and welcome! :biggrin:

I'm not really sure about who is doing special Christmas Eve dinners, but if you want to stay within the west end, I'd check out the recent restaurant thread - there are tons of good suggestions at all price points.

Slightly out of the west end, moderately priced places might be Cassis or Chambar.

Enjoy!

**Melanie**

Hello!! I'm a new member here [i introduced myself to an almost dead thread (the where have you eaten recently thread)], so please be nice!!

If 80 000 hits is "almost dead" then we're in trouble :laugh:

No particular rec's just a suggestion that you phone ahead to find out what time they close. A number of places will close earlier than normal.

Enjoy your dinner! And welcome to eGullet!

A

As noted on the CityFood Calendar, both The Four Seasons Hotel and Raincity Grill are serving special Christmas Eve meals.

The Four Seasons will be offering a more traditional four-course dinner including roast turkey, and Raincity Grill's menu will be showcasing regional fare.

Wherever you decide to dine, have a great meal... and welcome to the eGullet madhouse!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Welcome to the club teamboom!

Fiddlehead Joe's has a really intimate setup but I am not sure if they are open Christmas Eve. I believe they might have their staff party that night but check with them.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Thanks for all the hints!

I've been actually DYING to check out chambar, and after browsing the chambar thread, I'm going to suggest that to my boyfriend.

Hopefully he'll comply, if not...we'll probably end up at good ol' Guu (or Gyoza).

I've been actually DYING to check out chambar, and after browsing the chambar thread, I'm going to suggest that to my boyfriend.

Hopefully he'll comply, if not...we'll probably end up at good ol' Guu (or Gyoza).

Hey Gyoza isn't much of a "settling" place. Ebi Mayo....my god. I need Ebi Mayo :biggrin:

But the Tagine at Chambar was wonderful!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hey Gyoza isn't much of a "settling" place.  Ebi Mayo....my god.  I need Ebi Mayo  :biggrin:

But the Tagine at Chambar was wonderful!

Oh, Gyoza King is NEVER settling. We always take that place quite seriously. If you ever see a little asian girl eating everything in site, you should say hello because it's probably me.

Oh dear, sadly (for you) Chambar is not open on December 24th. They are closed for Christmas the 24th, 25th and 26th and fyi are also closing for some renovations (refinishing floors and woodwork, etc) Jan 8th - 17th, 2006

Brix on Homer Street is open on Christmas Eve.

Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

^ Leonard and Harry... can you please expand upon what the offerings will be at "C", Raincity Grill, Nu, and Central Bistro on Christmas Eve? Are you offering your regular menu or something special? Or... a combo of both?

Inquiring minds and all that...... :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

For those checking in from the Okanagan. There seems to be a few Kelowna choices for Christmas Eve and day. They are waitlisted now, but.....

Capri Hotel

Eldorado Hotel

Manteo Resort - Wild Apple Grill

My family is doing the home seafood thing on the 24th and then we will venture to the Wild Apple Grill for Christmas day.

Enjoy your holiday dining!

Gastronomista