• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The basics of home cookery

Malawry

I've been engaged to teach a 6-session series (2 hours per session) on basic cookery. What are the essential things I should be going over? I think the target student is somebody who is just starting out or starting over who doesn't know much about cooking but is inspired by Food TV or some such. I want to teach simple foods, using ingredients available at the lower-end supermarkets in my community. (I live in a somewhat rural area with limited access to specialty ingredients.) It's been so long since I was at this level, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this.

I'd definitely like to cover soups and stocks, basic fish, fowl, and meat cookery, grain/starch cookery, vegetable selection and preparation, some small dishes for entertaining, and basic (American-focused, not French-style) pastry work. I'd also rather not completely break this out into individual topic classes like that, since I think it's not as fun as preparing a full menu each week.

What would you cover or want to learn from such a class series?

bread baking

as an undergraduate i think my sense of accomplishment and gratification at actually making bread was at least equal to receiving my degree.

I think it's important to realize that as a student you sometimes want something filling and nutritious and cheap and very easy to assemble which can be varied infinitely. And other times maybe you want to spend a mellow afternoon in the kitchen with a friend or lover doing something involved and gratifying (but not necessarily fancy or finicky). fruitcake and pierogies are rather major undertakings in my kitchen which I discovered while a student. Pickling became a bit of a habit there too (we had no good grocery stores, but an awesome farmer's market)

as an aside - laurie colwin's home cooking books were my first aides to cooking and I still think they're exceptional.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

Just throwing some quick ideas out to get things started - I'm sure I'll come back with more.

My first thought was stir frys, pastas and other one-dish meals. Easy and quick for timestrapped cooks. Technique rather than recipe focused - take some meat or tofu, some veggies, some sauces, and you have endless combinations. And while preparing them you can get in the skills stuff like how to chop vegetables. Not to mention things like proper doneness levels for vegetables. I bet people who grew up with their mom boiling vegetables to death would find tender-crisp veggies in a stirfry an absolute revelation!

Another theme would be a simple dinner party kind of meal. Roast meat or chicken, and a variety of side dishes. Good opportunity to teach skills like testing for doneness, and the right temperatures to cook meats to so their not overdone.

You need one just for baking. How simple it is to make your own cake, instead of using a mix. Or pancakes - they're so easy! Great opportunity to demonstrate the difference between dry and liquid measurement, and the right way to do both.

As you know, I'm thinking I'd like to do something like this too, so I'm sure I'll be back and that I'll be paying attention to this thread!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

These are great, thanks. Each class is only 2 hours so I'm not sure how I can fit a topic like breadbaking in there, but I will consider doing it.

Tammy, I am really liking the quick-and-easy idea. I think most home cooks want to cook that way most of the time--that's how I cook except on the weekends myself. Maybe I'll do that the first and second sessions since I'll want to spend some time talking over equipment and knife technique and getting to know my students.

I LOVE those Laurie Colwin books. What a treasure she was. I don't think I'll be foisting potato salad on my poor students every single class session though. :laugh:

Among my friends who are interested in cooking but have no professional experience, a desire for learning proper knife skills seem to come up the most often.

Kitchen Safety and Sanitation would definitely make my list.

Can you teach someone to tell if a recipe is going to be any good? One of the most frustrating experiences in cooking or baking can be expending the effort to negotiate a poorly written (or just poor) recipe.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Can you teach someone to tell if a recipe is going to be any good?  One of the most frustrating experiences in cooking or baking can be expending the effort to negotiate a poorly written (or just poor) recipe.

I think only experience can help you with that. Only after you've cooked enough do you get that instinctive feel for recipes. But it might be worth trying, as a final class exercise, or something - hand out a few recipes, and see if they can figure out which ones would be good and which aren't...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I agree with someone upthread that it should be technique based. But, I would start with equipment. Break down the basics: a good knife, some basic pots, etc. I think beginners get caught up in not having the gear to cook. I'm an anti-gadget person for the most part, and if finances are a concern (and they are to most people!) it would be reassuring to teach people how to work well with not too many pieces of equipment.

Then the basics. What does boiling do to food? Broiling? What happens to the heat in the saute pan when you crowd too many pieces in the pa. Stuff like that.

I'm thinking of how I've been teaching my son over the years.

Basic flavor combinations.

And please, show people how they do NOT need prepared foods or sauces. What a waste of money.

I could go on and on, but I think I should stop now before someone throws a tomato at me up on my soapbox.... :wink:

These are great, thanks. Each class is only 2 hours so I'm not sure how I can fit a topic like breadbaking in there, but I will consider doing it.

You could do breadbaking by doing some advance prep, so you have dough at the various stages when you need to demonstrate techniques. So you mix up some dough to the right consistency, demonstrate kneading, set it aside to proof... and *POOF* some already proofed dough magically appears. Etc.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I don't want to bore people to tears with too many technicalities about sanitation, though it is an extremely important topic. I plan to cover that sort of thing by working it into the other things we work on and giving them handouts with time-temperature charts to tape to the fridge at home. I think knife skills are worth a short demo, but then it's up to people to practice on their own if they're going to get it. I do plan to start with equipment after the introductions on Day 1, I don't want to spend the whole 2 hours on it but I think it's very important.

Tammy, I am aware of the prepare-in-advance technique for classes--it's how cooking shows work as well. I just don't want to spend too much of my unpaid outside-class time on this, given how much planning it takes to teach a class to begin with and given the pay scale they're offering. :rolleyes:

Malawry

I would first educate them on what basic ingredients a kitchen should have at all times, i.e. garlic, onions, oil, flour, seasonings.... etc.

I would ask each student to make a list of what they may have in their fridge and pantry and surprise them by what they could cook using those ingredients alone or by the addition of one or two more items.

... Then the basics. What does boiling do to food? Broiling? What happens to the heat in the saute pan when you crowd too many pieces in the pa. Stuff like that. ...

The best book I've seen yet for explaining stuff like that in layperson's terms is Alton Brown's I'm Just Here For The Food. Given that you don't have a whole lot of in-class time to cover all this stuff, you might want to put together a short bibliography of books like this, for your students who want to go deeper into topics only briefly touched upon in class.

But I know that I, for one, when a new cook, would have totally appreciated at least some brief basics about the how and why of cooking--nothing heavily technical, mind you, only just enough basics to understand, for instance, why some shortcuts and substitutions work and others go blooey, why you really need all that water when boiling pasta, why eggs turn to rubber if you fry them too long, why some cuts of meat make great stews but turn into shoeleather if you try to broil them--that kind of thing. Call it the culinary equivalent of defensive-driving lessons: stuff ya gotta know for "safe" kitchen and grocery store navigation.

6 sessions, I think that you have a great idea in making a complete meal for each session. People NEED to learn the order to do things in, time management while making a meal is an overlooked skill that not having causes stress and failure for many home cooks. Plus, making a meal each session can cover quite a LOT of ground.

I would like to suggest the addition of teaching a simple bechamel/white sauce and what you can do with it, and also basic egg cookery, some people NEVER learn to make a decent omelette or scrambled egg, more's the pity because these are so quick, easy, delicious, versatile and inexpensive!

Of course, then there's also the amazing ease, low cost and wonderful quality of from scratch brownies, cakes and cookies, too.

I wish that I had learned how to braise earlier in my life.

And, I know it isn't really needed in YOUR class, but in my home a 30 minute pizza dough recipe is VERY important.

Wow, what you are doing is really important. I wonder if you realize what a real service you are doing by teaching people the basics of cookery. You are changing people's lives by giving them the tools to make their way in a kitchen. I know it may not seem like much, a 6 session ccourse, but it really is. I'm really impressed, and I think you're great for taking this kind of class on and really caring about the curriculum. Kudos to you. :smile:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

... Then the basics. What does boiling do to food? Broiling? What happens to the heat in the saute pan when you crowd too many pieces in the pa. Stuff like that. ...

The best book I've seen yet for explaining stuff like that in layperson's terms is Alton Brown's I'm Just Here For The Food. Given that you don't have a whole lot of in-class time to cover all this stuff, you might want to put together a short bibliography of books like this, for your students who want to go deeper into topics only briefly touched upon in class.

But I know that I, for one, when a new cook, would have totally appreciated at least some brief basics about the how and why of cooking--nothing heavily technical, mind you, only just enough basics to understand, for instance, why some shortcuts and substitutions work and others go blooey, why you really need all that water when boiling pasta, why eggs turn to rubber if you fry them too long, why some cuts of meat make great stews but turn into shoeleather if you try to broil them--that kind of thing. Call it the culinary equivalent of defensive-driving lessons: stuff ya gotta know for "safe" kitchen and grocery store navigation.

I recommend Cookwise to people who want something that tells them the basics because so often cookbook authors assume that the reader already knows the basics and do not explain why ingredients have to be added in a particular order ---- It is also easy to find a particular reference in the book.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Malawy, you've gotten a bunch of good suggestions. What I would add, if it can be squeezed in within your six session limit, is EGGS. It would help introduce your students to cooking as process beyond merely cooking as a collection of recipes. One thing that few cookbooks bring out is the fundamental and variable qualities of eggs running from our usual breakfast/lunch sense of them (from poached to omelets & frittatas) to the crepes, pancakes, sauces, souffles, custards and other puddings, stuffings, coatings, cakes, etc. They go from the main scene of the meal to acting as binders, leavening, etc. It's really remarkable how by simply altering the ratios and technique you can go from a crepe to a cake or a souffle or a pastry cream. I think giving your students some sense of how the egg can extend their capacity in the kitchen would be very helpful. It took me years of home cooking before I put together how integral the qualities of eggs were to cooking and baking and saw the essential continuum in its use in these varied foods.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I'll echo what Tammylc said about the pre-made bread dough. And consider doing pizza rather than bread; teaches the same bread basics and the difference (cost, nutrition, etc) between delivery and homemade is huge!

I applaud your decision on using ingredients that are available locally, that's really important. (Got any farmers who sell out of their homes?)

How about some sort of quick appetizers for a party for the last class? It's another area where people end up spending money or buying prepared crap because they feel clueless.

Do you have any way to communicate with students prior to the class? Get a clue as to what they want? Maybe a list of possiblities to choose from for one class (late in the series) that's chosen at the first class...or is that asking for trouble? :rolleyes::biggrin:

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you do. I've been debating doing such things myself.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I only got this call around 4pm today and they want me to have some idea of what I'll do each week AND what it might cost by tomorrow morning (!) so the rapid response is really appreciated! I have taught cooking classes before and am already booked into teaching some at a nearby community college next semester, so I wasn't completely clueless, but this will be my first time teaching a series so I want to be sure and get it right!

Here's what I just scratched out. Please, tell me how to improve it:

The Basics of Home Cooking: An Interactive Series

Series Description:

Ever wonder how restaurants get that perfect sear on your steak? Have you picked up a can of pressurized whipped cream and wondered how to make it from scratch? Do you want to know why your vegetables wilt rather than dazzling on the plate? Come learn about the basics of home cooking from scratch ingredients with a classically trained chef. We’ll pick up techniques and discuss the science of cooking while we prepare a full menu each week. Tastings of each dish will be offered. Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes; you may also wish to bring a bib apron.

Week 1: Introduction and the basics of basics

We’ll discuss kitchen equipment and appliances, compare and sample ingredients, and practice simple knife skills with a menu of Caesar salad, pasta primavera, and berries with whipped cream.

Week 2: Breakfast and small plates

These dishes are quick and easy to put together, yet few people prepare them at home. We’ll discuss egg cookery, prepare pancakes and waffles, and practice a few appetizer dishes for company or for light lunches or snacks.

Week 3: Soups, stocks and braises

Homemade stocks transform the simplest dishes into gourmet fare. Learn how as we prepare fresh chicken stock and use it for creamy tomato soup and beef burgundy with mashed potatoes. We’ll finish with lemon squares.

Week 4: Fish and fowl

It can seem tricky to prepare these low-fat animal foods, but care in preparation and attention to the basics can result in terrific home-cooked dishes. See for yourself with pan-seared Asian-spiced salmon, chicken breasts with spinach-artichoke sauté, mushroom risotto and apple-ginger crisp.

Week 5: Beef and pork

The meat of the matter: These dishes can be some of the quickest yet the most satisfying in your repertoire—they’re perfect for entertaining or for a special night in. We’ll make both pork chops with apples and sauerkraut and a simple marinated flank steak with gratin potatoes and asparagus. Finish things off with a cherry-almond tart.

Week 6: Pastry and Breads

These sometimes-intimidating dishes turn simple home cooking into spectacular productions—and everybody will be impressed with your pastry skills! We’ll try our hands at pizza dough and an American butter cake with real buttercream frosting. We’ll also try versatile dessert sauces like crème anglaise and raspberry coulis to dress up the desserts we practiced in previous weeks.

I think that you have E.S.P. because that list is VERY similar to what I was about to post.

Braising and stock! This saves so much in time and money, and adds so much in taste to the table! I tihnk that class is the best idea I've ever seen for a basic class!

I think that adding biscuits in somewhere(perhaps the first night with the berries and cream?) will be a great addition.

I think I'd also add a basic rice dish somewhere(my sister just called me and reminded me of our neighbor who always messed up rice! Can you say crunchy?) and perhaps something with a cheese sauce, simply because it begins with a white sauce, and over the years I've found that there are MANY MANY things you can do with that classic base. You can discuss those many things while making a simple cheese sauce. Ah, well, I suppose there is the gratin. My kiddle won't eat that, so I never get to make it anymore<sigh>.

Plus, I can't say, as I'm a foodie and we DO eat a fair share of Caesar salad n the winter months, but perhaps a classic vinagrette base and some additions during class would be more useful as a basic?

And, as an aside, I've noticed that there isn't mention of, um, chocolate? Gee, won't there be women in your class???? I mean, it's such an IMPORTANT food basic. :raz::laugh:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I think it looks really good. I hope you will have an opportunity to urge them to do whatever prep they can, ahead of time. It's not so bad, coming home after work and fixing a meal, if some of the work --chopping, seasoning meat, measuring herbs and spices-- was done beforehand. Many people think they don't have time to cook. But they do, if they do a little planning ahead. And prepping ahead also means less cleanup.

One thing you could also point out, is that the more you make the things you are learning to make, the easier they become. A few years ago, I considered stewing a chicken and making something from it, such as chicken & noodles, chicken pot pie, or chicken & dumplings, to be a major undertaking. But now, because I've done it so much, I could pretty much do it in my sleep.

I also hope you'll tell them that having a dish flop on you, is not an excuse for getting down on yourself and deciding that you can't cook well. Like anything else, it takes practice. And with shows like Alton Brown's, they can learn things that will help them correct their own problems.

And, as an aside, I've noticed that there isn't mention of, um, chocolate? Gee, won't there be women in your class???? I mean, it's such an IMPORTANT food basic. :raz:  :laugh:

Good point! Maybe that buttercream frosting in Week 6 could be chocolate?

I'm not sure about the beef burgundy in Week 3 - my recipe calls for simmering for 2 1/2 hours, plus other cooking and prep time. You must have a different recipe to be putting it on the program, but it just stood out to me because it seems like a long stewed recipe.

I like the outline though - looks great. It's a little more advanced than the "absolute beginner" course I was talking about over in my LJ, but sounds like it's right for the target audience you were describing.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

This might be too basic for your class, but, one thing that occurred to me is, prepared food items that households regularly spend a fair amount of money on, which are really quite simple to prepare.

Things like quality Salsa or Tomato sauce. Even if you are using canned tomatoes, what you come up with just by using other fresh ingredients will be better tasting and more economical than the premade products from Pace or Prego.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread because curious minds want to know- how goes things in regards to the classes? Will they happen, and when they do, will you keep us posted on the progress? Please?

Thanks!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I think many of the ideas here are pretty complex (bread baking? How many people actually want to make bread at home?). I'm thinking of my sister-in-law who does not cook at all. She finds cooking intimidating.

I'd go for Rachel Ray type meals. Nutritious meals on the table. You could divide the classes by cooking technique (sauteeing, roasting, etc.) For longer preparations such as a stew, show how it is prepared and started; then have one that's already cooked 2 hours or so to show how it should come out.

just my thoughts

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I disagree with mrsadm completely. I'm a VERY average single mom and I bake a loaf of yeast bread every single week day. And, no I DON'T have a 'bread machine'. I make a dough when I awaken every morning and we do SOMETHING with it each day. Except on Fridays, when we buy a loaf of egg bread. That was too much work for me for just the tiny bit we eat each day.

Do you how much better home baked bread tastes, and how much CHEAPER it is? And, most importantly, I am a doofus and it is a completely foolproof food. I put yeast and warm water in a bowl, it sits while I get ready for the day, I add the flour and salt, etc, I knead it for 3-10 minutes(depends on my patience that day), then it SITS until I figure out what I want it for. It could become anything from rolls to pizza to a cheese loaf. I have fresh bread that is delicious! I'm sure that if I knew what I was doing, it would be even better. Or, maybe not. One thing is for sure, though, you can't go wrong with a basic knowledge of yeast, salt and flour. And, I've seen Rachel Ray, Her shows are fun to watch, but she isn't teaching basic cookery. She's making a meal in 30 minutes!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma