• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aspiring "Food Writers"

Carrot Top

Dear Food Writer (Aspiring or Actual):

Here are some questions. Will you tell us your tales?

...................................................................................

Who inspired you most in your decision to write of food?

What is it particularly that you write of within the wide-varied subject?

When did you take up the pen?

Where do you wish to publish your writings? Do you have any specific magazines/journals or publishers that you have an urge to present your work to for acceptance?

Why do you wish to submit your work to these particular outlets?

How do you hope to have your writings affect the world of food and people?

.................................................................................

Thank you for your stories.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Well, I have only been here 5 minutes but great question so here goes.

1/No particular person inspired me to start writing. I was chasing an outlet for my creativity that I was not finding in restaurants. I also wanted the benefit of the change in lifestyle. I just sat at home miserable oneday a year after opening a restaurant and wrote down all the things I wanted out of a career and in a puff of smoke I decided to try my hand at writing.

2/ I write about food and create recipes and cookbooks

3/Started by self publishing onto my own website and attracted Penquin books form there. Once I had a book deal the magazine job soon followed.

4/ I work for our finest food magazine already but I would dearly love a once a week newspaper article including my own recipe photos. Its all about networking, finding out when the current contracts are up and coming up with an attractive deal to offer the publication, best done through an agent.

5/ A media career is all about fingers in pies and getting into media in as many ways as possible as each individual piece if publicity draws attention to all of your work, thus bringing in the $$$$.

6/ My style of writing is all about teaching the home cook to think about and see ingredients much like a chef does, wish me luck :)

My Grandma Ana and my dad. My grandmother taught me to love food and cooking, and my dad helped me to become a good writer. He still helps review my articles!

Most of my published articles have been restaurant reviews, but I love writing personal memoir-style articles.

When we moved to Ann Arbor in 1997, there was a blurb in the paper about their search for a new food critic. I thought to myself, "I love food. I can write. Hmmm, I should do this."

Where do you wish to publish your writings? Do you have any specific magazines/journals or publishers that you have an urge to present your work to for acceptance?

I'd love anything with a broader reader base than the local publications I've been in to date. I've had one article in the IACP magazine, which was wonderful, but I want more!!

I do a lot of things to make money. My food writing is the thing that makes me most proud. The more I can do, the better I feel about myself.

I'd love to teach people about the wonderful food that is out there. I love when my writings inspire people to try something new, even if it's just a local under-rated restaurant.

.................................................................................

Thank you for your stories.

Thanks for the fun question Karen!! Are you going to answer it??

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Thanks for the fun question Karen!! Are you going to answer it??

:biggrin:

Are you sure you really want to hear of my inner workings? Heh. Steven King has penned nothing that could challenge my own twisted mind.

But really, it would not be proper for me to answer till I hear of everyone elses' wonderful tales, now, would it.

Thank you for letting us wander through your own story, Danielle.

And I am very jealous not only of your talent and determination but also of the way you can make those quote things work. Whew! (Someday, I say to myself, someday. . . :sad:)

:smile:

Well. Only two answers. So I must assume that this is a boring topic or perhaps a frightening or distasteful one in some way. For surely there must be more aspiring food writers in the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Letters than two.

So to finish it off, I'll answer you, Danielle.

First it needs to be said that I am unsure that I even want to be a "food writer". In considering it as a real job, it seems that plumbers can make more money and can even work their own hours. I entertain the idea twice weekly, each time for about fifteen minutes, and then wish to take a nap. The nap seems much more appealing.

But if I were to consider the idea, here's what I'd say:

The inspiration within the genre would be MFK Fisher for me. What I would write of is. . .how food is a rather magical element of life with immense and hidden powers. :laugh: Really.

I've never taken up the pen seriously but have fun fooling around with words on paper.

If I decided that I seriously wanted to be published, the most important thing to me would not be "where" so much as "who". As this thing would not be done for money for me as a motivating factor, the "who" is important. It would have to be a place where the editor enjoyed what I did and who encouraged me while also offering advice and direction. That precious thing is what it is all about, in that area for me. Naive? Perhaps. But vital to me. And you don't get what you want in this life usually without looking pretty hard for it. I guess that would answer the question about why I would submit to one place or another, too.

Since what I like to write is stories, fiction. . .with elements of food within the story whereby the food itself almost becomes an actual driving character, it would not be to educate that I would write. Other people can do that much better. I simply would like to entertain and maybe give a grain or two of thought. If I could make someone laugh! Oh. That would be the best thing in the entire world. A laugh is as good as a fine meal, to me.

So. Now. Almost anyone out there can be much more impressive than what I just wrote. Do write in and tell of your stories?

Proust, Wharton, Crowley

I currently write about wine. I want to research and write about culinary history.

Professionally, less than a year ago.

I am currently published in a variety of wine magazines but wish to broaden to include more gourmet magazines. I wish to strive towards the esoterica and hope to be published in Gastronomica and, ultimately, my own book.

Why  do you wish to submit your work to these particular outlets?

No need to wish -- I DO submit...

That question would require a bottle of wine and some intimate conversation...

Well. Only two answers. So I must assume that this is a boring topic or perhaps a frightening or distasteful one in some way. For surely there must be more aspiring food writers in the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Letters than two.

Naw, not at all. Just a lot of questions! Really quick --

I knew when I was a tender babe of 25 that there were two things that came naturally: food and writing. I bullied my way into a food writing assignment, never had a byline before then, and the rest is history. I've been a dining critic, feature writer, columnist, and at one place, specialized in converting chef's recipes to something that home cooks could do ... which turned into some nice consulting gigs.

Funny, I had a reputation for being thorough and completely going nuts with research, and after spending one week at the CIA, knew that I had an awful lot more to learn.

Novels with food themes ... have you read The Epicure's Lament?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I am currently published in a variety of wine magazines but wish to broaden to include more gourmet magazines. I wish to strive towards the esoterica and hope to be published in Gastronomica and, ultimately, my own book.

That question would require a bottle of wine and some intimate conversation...

I can definitely see you writing for Gastronomica, Carolyn.

Do you have a definite focus for the book that you ultimately wish to write?

:smile: A bottle of wine and some intimate conversation sounds like a lovely thing to do. We will have to plan that someday if we don't first happen to meet up at Pirate School. :cool:

Just a lot of questions!  Really quick --

I knew when I was a tender babe of 25 that there were two things that came naturally: food and writing.  I bullied my way into a food writing assignment, never had a byline before then, and the rest is history.  I've been a dining critic, feature writer, columnist, and at one place, specialized in converting chef's recipes to something that home cooks could do ... which turned into some nice consulting gigs.

Novels with food themes ... have you read The Epicure's Lament?

Well Fabby. . .I only asked those questions to prove I knew how to do this thing of "Who What When Where Why and How." :biggrin: That seems so important to people. :wink:

I would certainly allow you to bully me into giving you a food writing assigment too, if you brandished that beautiful shoe in your avatar at me! :laugh:

You seem to have a tremendous amount of energy, always dashing around and getting things done. It is truly admirable.

Haven't read that book yet, but will now. I have avoided reading fiction with food themes unless it runs right into me. I prefer books just about. . .other things.

Having thought day and night about food for so many years when I was a chef, I tried to run away from it afterwards. It tires me. :laugh: But the thing refuses to go away, it nags at me and follows me around, and I find that when I do sit to write, the ideas are all about food in some form. :blink: Can't even divorce the thing. :sad:

Genevieve noted that she had made some excellent contacts through her blog.

Do you all do blogs? Anything to say about blogging?

And is there any subject or idea that people keep asking you write about other than the things you do want to write about?

Edited because I changed Genevieve to Gabrielle. I love both names. Wish I had one of them. :smile:

Okay, I'll bite!

Not really applicable. I like writers who have a strong, evocative voice, but that's not the kind of writing I do.

For pay, I research & write market research reports on the food industry. For love (sigh.... I wish it were for pay!), I write a small circ. newsletter on Asian food. Currently on the back burner are two cookbook proposals that have not yet been accepted for publication.

Many years ago. Food writing about 16 years ago.

As I said, I have two cookbook proposals on the back burner. My ideal publisher would be Workman because I like the format of their books.

My mission is to educate readers and open their eyes to food possibilities (and connections) they haven't thought of before. I also wouldn't mind my name going down in history as an expert on X!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I meant to respond a couple of days ago, but as the thread dropped to the bottom of the page I forgot about it.

I sort of fell into food writing. Although I did not have a writer as an influence, I did have my own experiences. I had spent most of my adult life avoiding the kitchen, convinced that I had no time to cook. Most of my meals consisted of items that came in styrofoam boxes. Then some health problems forced me to confront my eating habits, and I realized that no only did I love cooking, but also that the time I spent cooking was an worthwhile investment because I felt so much better. (And the accompanying weight loss was a nice bonus!)

There are two areas I like to cover: helpful information and easy recipes for busy people, and the food and food-related businesses of the area I live in (New England).

I wrote my first "story" (and believe me, I use that term very loosely) when I was six or seven. I stumbled into food writing in 1998 when a writer at the newspaper I worked for wanted to stop writing her weekly recipe column. I became her replacement because I wanted to share my newfound love of cooking simple meals with others. (I still write the column; the link in my signature is to the column's website.)

Where do you wish to publish your writings? Do you have any specific magazines/journals or publishers that you have an urge to present your work to for acceptance? Why do you wish to submit your work to these particular outlets?

I really want to write for New England regional magazines like Yankee and Down East because I adore the food native to my region and the people, places, and businesses that produce or use it. I have been working toward this goal by writing for smaller publications and at some point I need to bite the bullet and attempt the leap into bigger publications. I also would love to create a cookbook based on the recipe column. (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)

With the recipe column, I hope others also will see that cooking at home -- whether it is something complex or something simple -- is a task that should be embraced instead of avoided. For the regional writing, I hope that I will inspire someone will experience a local ingredient or specialty, visit a place, or buy locally made goodies from some of the many wonderful food businesses in the area.

I hope my answers aren't unbearably long. Once I start writing, it's hard to stop. :smile:

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

Well Fabby. . .I only asked those questions to prove I knew how to do this thing of "Who What When Where Why and How." :biggrin: That seems so important to people. :wink:
And you did it very well! The issue with the questions is mine and honestly, I almost never stop to think about why I'm doing what I'm doing.
I would certainly allow you to bully me into giving you a food writing assigment too, if you brandished that beautiful shoe in your avatar at me! :laugh:
I heard that a dining critic wanted to leave his post and literally pulled every string I could find to get the publisher and editor to give me a tryout.

If I made enough money cooking and writing about food to cover this shoe habit, Mr. FoodBabe would be even happier :wink:

You seem to have a tremendous amount of energy, always dashing around and getting things done. It is truly admirable.

for me, it's been necessity that turned me into a freelancing maniac. I've lived in seven places in fifteen years, and as I mentioned in another thread, have a day job as a corporate wifey-type and mother of sons and a senile dog. So I grab the opportunities as they come, because I got used to not knowing if I'd be around to develop one area.
Having thought day and night about food for so many years when I was a chef, I tried to run away from it afterwards. It tires me. :laugh: But the thing refuses to go away, it nags at me and follows me around, and I find that when I do sit to write, the ideas are all about food in some form. :blink: Can't even divorce the thing. :sad:
I've always believed that it's a life that chooses you. I wonder if there's a thread about peoples' epiphanies -- the "aha" moment or moments.
Genevieve noted that she had made some excellent contacts through her blog.

Do you all do blogs? Anything to say about blogging?

Hee hee. I am almost about writing as I am about food: If you don't pay me, I don't do it. :raz: But I did start a little blog that I keep thinking I should actually write in. Since I'm going back to finish school in a few weeks, and in the process of gutting and redoing my kitchen, and finishing a food writing class with Alan Richman and trying to get a cookbook at least looked at by an agent, I do have a lot to say. However, I don't want to "phone in" anything that I do -- so blogging is at the bottom of the list.
And is there any subject or idea that people keep asking you write about other than the things you do want to write about?
I used to be asked to write about homes and entertaining, which were okay, but they didn't flow quite so easily for me. Once I was asked to write about architecture. Actually, the magazine insisted on it. I liked the people and their kitchen and their cars (he owned a BMW dealership and was very interesting himself), but I didn't care too much about who designed their landscape.
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

My ideal publisher would be Workman because I like the format of their books.

My mission is to educate readers and open their eyes to food possibilities (and connections) they haven't thought of before. I also wouldn't mind my name going down in history as an expert on X!

Yes, Workman does make nice books, don't they. Clean.

An expert on X is a fine thing to be. I wonder what X is.

Do you know yet or are you figuring it out as you go along? :smile:

Is your Asian food focus broad-base or specific, SuzySushi?

I had spent most of my adult life avoiding the kitchen, convinced that I had no time to cook. Most of my meals consisted of items that came in styrofoam boxes. Then some health problems forced me to confront my eating habits, and I realized that no only did I love cooking, but also that the time I spent cooking was an worthwhile investment because I felt so much better. (And the accompanying weight loss was a nice bonus!)

That is interesting, TPO. So you really did have an "epiphanic" moment.

That is wonderful.

And yes, you *can* dream.

Remember the old saying: "Say you can, say you can't. Either way you'll be right."

:wink:

An expert on X is a fine thing to be. I wonder what X is.

Do you know yet or are you figuring it out as you go along? :smile:

Is your Asian food focus broad-base or specific, SuzySushi?

In answer to the first question, both! I'm still learning (and always will be!).

Second answer is both, too. I'm most familiar with Japanese and Chinese food, but write about everything as I go. If I don't know the answers, I research them!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 1 year later...
...................................................................................

What  is it particularly that you write of within the wide-varied subject?

Why  do you wish to submit your work to these particular outlets?

I'm late to this thread, but what the hey.....

1. My SO and friends who encouraged me to write more and more after they read and loved my epic stories of running and trail races. They gave me confidence that I just might have a spark of talent and enough personality to shine through.

2. I write most of restaurants, but sometimes home cooking or my own food history.

3. About 10 years ago, writing about sports.

4. National audience. Currently I publish to two separate local audiences, a newspaper and a cityblog.

5. To increase my experience and repertoire, and ideally increase my income. :biggrin:

6. I adore hearing about people who have tried a recipe of mine and their experience with it - good or not so good. I have always loved to give advice, so this is yet another way to do so....

Thanks for reading.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I was very inspired by Calvin Trillin, Roy Andre de Groot and Elizabeth David.

About eight years ago, I pitched the editor of La Cocinita, a monthly food/lifestyle magazine here in New Mexico. He accepted my piece ( which was about local honey). It was well recieved, and I began to get frequent assignments. I was fortunate to be able to write, about subjects I really wanted to know more about myself, like, a local produce farm, apricots, herbs etc.

I also write lifestlye articles (gardening, fitness etc.) for "Albuquerque The Magazine" and essays for "Man Alive", a mens wellness journal.

The Intrepid Traveler published my first book "New Mexico Chow Resaurants for the Rest of Us". It's a restaurant guide with lots of information and reviews. I wanted to let folks know about the many mom and pop places here, that often close because no one even knew they were there, let alone really good.

Next, I got a gig as the restaurant reviewer for "The Alibi", an alternative weekly newspaer which led to another weekly recipe column called Bite.

I woulld like to pitch ideas for articles for creative healthy meals with recipes to Eating Well and other national publications. My current interest in healthy eating, is related to loosing over fifty pounds (and wanting to keep it off), while enjoying delicious food and sharing that information with others.

Your post has made me realize most of my writing has been about things I felt passionately about and wanted to share. Thanks for the topic and the wake up call. It's time to start pitching again. I've also been working on a cook book idea and will need to start looking for an agent... any day now. Any ideas?

4.  National audience.  Currently I publish to two separate local audiences, a newspaper and a cityblog.

Wow, this *is* one of those "blast from the past" threads. :laugh:

I'm glad to read of your successes, Andrea. Congrats, and wishes for more to come! :smile:

Wow - this really blew me away (to read what I wrote just over a year ago). So much has changed for me.

I have been living in Italy since 1984 and teaching since 1988.

I felt I needed to learn the language to understand the nuances of the cuisine and not just run through eating and drinking to think I understood.

I love to teach and I love to talk.

When I teach, it isn't just recipes, but also the stories of the people, the culture and of place.

When I studied once with the late Barbara Tropp when she was doing cooking classes at the Cipriani here in Venice, I asked her about writing.

She said" If you can speak, you can write."

I started writing on my website, dining guides, newsletters, and now write for a local English language paper on food.

I have handwritten a Tuscan cookbook which I give to my students and am working on a market book.

I attend IACP and take classes in how-to for publishing, but feel out of the track ..not being connected to the publishing world in the states.

I have met with 2 publishers about publishing my book, but there seems to be a glut of Italian cookbooks that don't sell if you aren't on the food netwok.

I am planning on selfpublishing here in Italy.. in English and investing in myself.

Perhaps then, BEING PUBLISHED.. I can sell articles?

or am I thinking backwards?

I adore reading and read everything I can get my hands on, Calvin Trillan I adore..

and read and reread.

I like to laugh!

I love food.

I love to write, and I believe I write very well.

But I don't write much about food.

A few blurbs and a profile of an ice cream parlor in Philadelphia Style, and that's it for money so far.

(Well, I did profile a then-Dining Services staffer who opened an Ethiopian restaurant in U-City, write a few restaurant roundups and write rather frequently about Dining Services initiatives at Penn, and my most recent contribution to "What's Up @ Widener," our internal newsletter for faculty and staff, was the following (pasted here because the newsletter is no longer posted on our Web site):

Even though Mexico is not, strictly speaking, a Caribbean nation, it does share many culinary traditions with the Spanish-speaking countries of the region. This was reason enough for the School of Hospitality Management to kick off the week-long schedule of International Week programs with a culinary demonstration by Adan Trinidad, the Mexican-born head chef at the recently opened Water Works Restaurant and Lounge in Philadelphia’s Fairmount Park.

As he began preparing the pumpkin soup that was part of the day’s menu, Trinidad talked about his own background and upbringing and the influence it had on his cooking. Trinidad migrated to the United States with his family at an early age and spent his formative years in Cherry Hill, N.J., where his mother both ran an Italian restaurant and cooked for the family. Cooking, he said, was as important to him as material possessions were to the children of affluence he went to school with. “A classmate of mine received a Mercedes as his present for his 17th birthday. He was so happy,” he recalled. “For me, when I got promoted to the sauté station on the day I turned 17, that was my Mercedes.”

As he worked on the four-course tasting menu, he reminded the SHM students of the hard work that goes into a successful culinary career: “It takes so many hours and so many burns,” he said of his path to the top.

With the help of pastry chef Chad Durkin and sous-chef Francisco Atteo, Trinidad prepared a Caribbean menu with a dash of Mexico thrown in: Pumpkin soup with garlic crab meat and pepita foam, grilled octopus with sliced red onions, cilantro and lime juice, pan-seared bass with yellow split peas, braised leek and saffron tomato sauce, and for dessert, a horchata panacotta with roasted calabasa (pumpkin) and gold raisins.

As they went through their paces, Trinidad and Durkin also imparted useful culinary knowledge that will serve the students well as they progress in the kitchen: The importance of having a mise en place—ingredients prepared for use before cooking starts, how to plate a dish for visual appeal, and the reasons why high-quality, fresh ingredients are preferable to off-the-supplier’s-shelf products.

A combination demonstration and tasting, everyone in the packed-to-bursting Academic Center North amphitheater got to sample all the dishes.

In response to an audience member’s query, Water Works Director of Catering and Special Events estimated that the four dishes prepared would cost a diner at the restaurant somewhere around $50.

...and our School of Hospitality Management is one of my beats as a public relations officer, so yeah, maybe I do write about food.)

But as both of my foodblogs should indicate, my interests range far and wide and well beyond food. Most of what I've written for publication deals with my other interests. I'm not sure enough of my ability to discern flavors and combinations to want to hazard an honest-to-God restaurant review yet, at least one meant for an audience beyond the members of this Society.

But while we're talking about writing for money, Fabby said over a year ago:

Hee hee.  I am almost about writing as I am about food:  If you don't pay me, I don't do it.   :raz:

Samuel Johnson said it more archly:

"None but a blockhead ever wrote except for money."

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hee hee.  I am almost about writing as I am about food:  If you don't pay me, I don't do it.   :raz:

So where do we all think our blogging fits in with the not-writing-except-for-money theory?

Edited by The Old Foodie (log)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Hee hee.  I am almost about writing as I am about food:  If you don't pay me, I don't do it.  :raz:

So where do we all think our blogging fits in with the not-writing-except-for-money theory?

It was a great reason why I stopped blogging entirely (why should I generate information for others without compensation AND occasionally be plagiarized?) -- yet there are those who blog a lot and are published a lot so I guess it depends if you have already found your voice and your niche. There are those who began blogging to establish a voice and develop a following. Some have succeeded while others have failed miserably. I will tell you that it HAS made me jaded against those writers who blog to promote their published word...

How important is it to have an 'education or degree' for food writing?

Are people not being published because they lack writing skills?

Our local newspaper food page is filled with AP articles, nothing from someone local. If I were to start asking about doing some kind of local writing for the food page I have no backround in writing and don't know where to start.

Jennifer