• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remodeling the Perlow Kitchen

Jason Perlow

Have your cohort play "bad cop" to your "good cop".  Wince a lot when that other person is out of the room, or gone to the bathroom, and play them from both ends.

That's an exceptionally good approach to take with any negotiating process.

One person who's ready to take out a wall, rearrange the store's merchandise, or otherwise vent. The other, who really wants to get this process finished, and calm the angry person. Theater 101.

Perhaps Jason could wear his Viking helmet to convey the proper effect.

Seriously, we went thru a 90 day project that was supposed to take two weeks, but in the end it all looked fine. We did require two lawyer letters to get the last pieces squared away, though. One letter was necessary to "jump the line" and get the jacuzzi we ordered delivered to us. For this, the workers are often very informative. They let us know that a tub was on its way in, and maybe it was supposed to be ours, but wasn't going to us.

I'm sure your kitchen will look fantastic when it's done, and all these inconveniences will slip away

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

If you really feel that you've put yourself, somewhat unintentionally, into a position of weakness with Expo, maybe you need someone to physically re-visit the Expo center with you for a face-to-face meeting with the "Super" on your project

i have no problem kicking someone's ass at home despot. or home expot for that matter. give me a call. then you can buy me lunch at fink's.

Rachel,

I'm really sorry to hear about these difficulties you are having. I guess my renovation was something of an anomaly since we had very few problems and those that did crop up were cleared up quickly. From start to finish -- not including interior decorating -- the project took 4 months, and it was way bigger and more complicated than what you are doing. So you are absolutely right to think that something is not right with the way things are going with your project.

I do admire your ability to handle the situation in such a calm manner. I would be ranting, and raving, and screaming my head off -- probably not to the "culprits," but definitely to my husband.

Anyway, I agree that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" concept is the way to go from now on. And, much as I hate to admit it, even though we are in the 21st century with women's lib, women's equality, etc., a man's voice often gets more attention where these things are concerned than a woman's. So, Jason should get involved in moving these people along. Keep on their backs with constant phone calls and, if possible, make frequent in-person visits to the store. If you continually pester them, they will want to get you off their backs (we hope!), and then maybe the kitchen will be finished by next June! :raz:

My Hero! :wub:

Perhaps you'd rather have lunch at Syd's in Millburn or Texas Weiner across the street? The Expo I'm using is the one in Union. The one in Paramus didn't exist when we started this project! :raz:

You know, I hate to throw a compliment tommy's way, but I think he'd do a good job. Buy him some fries along with the sandwich. Jason, for all his ability to fall naturally into the "angry" role will personalize it too much and not know the proper point to stop.

But tommy may not want to truck all the way down to Union, so maybe your Dad? Assuming he knows when to strategically get up and go for a bathroom break?

Me, I'd be best at playing "bored cop". :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

My Hero! :wub:

Perhaps you'd rather have lunch at Syd's in Millburn or Texas Weiner across the street? The Expo I'm using is the one in Union. The one in Paramus didn't exist when we started this project! :raz:

You know, I hate to throw a compliment tommy's way, but I think he'd do a good job. Buy him some fries along with the sandwich. Jason, for all his ability to fall naturally into the "angry" role will personalize it too much and not know the proper point to stop.

But tommy may not want to truck all the way down to Union, so maybe your Dad? Assuming he knows when to strategically get up and go for a bathroom break?

Me, I'd be best at playing "bored cop". :biggrin:

What, are you saying I have an anger management problem, you stupid fucking asshole?

:smile:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Uh, who's tommy supposed to be? My angry cousin? They have met Jason. Really, Anthony is planning to personally deliver the cabinets as soon as they come in from the manufacturer, and the countertop people are coming to measure the day after they are installed. I don't think any amount of squeaking will get them from the manufacturer to the warehouse any faster.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have missed this, but what kind of floor have you opted for? Why did you choose what you chose?

I'm in the midst of a major cosmetic remodel (fortunately, I have great cupboards, counters and layout), and it's time to make floor decision. I'm leaning toward ceramic tile.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You know, I hate to throw a compliment tommy's way, but I think he'd do a good job.  Buy him some fries along with the sandwich.  Jason, for all his ability to fall naturally into the "angry" role will personalize it too much and not know the proper point to stop.

What, are you saying I have an anger management problem, you stupid fucking asshole?

:smile:

Hah. You are going to scare away a newbie, Perlow. Take your pill! You know... one of the yellow ones. :biggrin:

How's the most recent part of the renovation going? I just realized I haven't actually stepped foot into your place for quite a while... Remember, the thing which started the whole suggestion for the "good cop/bad cop" bit was Rachel saying something about how you guys were back-logged on a list or something.

The idea makes my skin crawl, because what if you are on a list, wait the time, they eventually ship it, and it BREAKS in shipping? Are you back on a list again? And how the heck were you even still on a list that far into a renovation? When did you go on it in the first place? I'm trying to remember...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The replacement sink base is being installed on tuesday and they are apparently measuring for the countertop the same day. The countertop takes 10 days to make.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I may have missed this, but what kind of floor have you opted for?  Why did you choose what you chose?

The floor is of ceramic tile with a tumbled marble accent for interest. The backsplash will be a different faux-tumbled marble tile in similar hues to the floor accent "River Rock" tile. If you go to page three of this thread you will find a link to our album of pictures of the kitchen's project. There is also a picture on page three itself showing the floor's center design.

Remember, the thing which started the whole suggestion for the "good cop/bad cop" bit was Rachel saying something about how you guys were back-logged on a list or something.

The idea makes my skin crawl, because what if you are on a list, wait the time, they eventually ship it, and it BREAKS in shipping?  Are you back on a list again?  And how the heck were you even still on a list that far into a renovation?  When did you go on it in the first place?   I'm trying to remember...

We weren't on "a list" per se, but two base cabinets had to be re-ordered, and, while they are not "custom" I believe they are built to order. They did rush the order, so they were supposed to take around 4-6 versus 8-10 weeks. First, the sink base was missing from the original order, that was re-ordered back in June. When the "replacement" came that was damaged, so it was reordered again. Second, it was somehow missed when the order was delivered that the peninsula base was the wrong style (regular cabinet versus pots & pan drawers). So, this was reordered as well, around August 1.

New developments: I've spoken with Anthony many times over the past couple of weeks. The sink base is in and he confirms that it is undamaged. He actually picked it up himself from the warehouse and was going to bring it over and install it on Thursday. But, then he found out that the other reordered cabinets were going to be in on Monday. So, instead he's supposed to bring everything up on Monday and Tuesday, move the gas line, install the cabinets, etc. on Monday and Tuesday morning. The countertop people are coming to template for the stone countertops on Tuesday afternoon. Their regular time requirements for doing the countertops are 2-3 weeks, but Anthony has asked that they rush that to be done in 7-10 days. So, hopefully things will start looking up over the next couple weeks.

Still... you've got to love any system where you go back to the bottom of a list when something arrives broken or wrong. They you have to beg favors to get a replacement with rush status. :rolleyes: Maybe you aren't paying anything extra, but it still makes me wonder how the whole system stays afloat.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

As a rental property owner and occasional user of construction services -

I always do the work myself or act as the General Contractor myself. It seems that a lot of (not all) the time, once a job is started, you're pretty much stuck the same person from start to finish. I see many people starting jobs only to leave to start other jobs for other people. That spiel about cabinets and countertops taking 4, 6, 10 weeks is inaccurate - that person should have a better relationship with their vendor.

I would strongly recommend NOT making the guys life miserable with pestering calls or threats - I'm sure you'll get hit with a littany of mystery problems with suppliers

Want the job done fast ? take the supervisor aside and offer him $ 500.00 cash for his pocket if he finishes up in a jiffy. My reasoning always was - better that than losing a month's rent

Like I've said before, the only thing that's making me miserable is everyone else second-guessing everything we're doing. My parents, you guys. Did you read my last post? Things are moving again. Oh yeah, I'm sure Expo has a horrible relationship with their vendors, like they don't order enough stuff from Kraftmaid. You tell me to slip the guy $500 bucks, while on the other hand my mom is saying they should give me some of my money back because of the delays. The only advice I have for anyone else doing a project like this is not to document it publically, because instead of other people appreciating the effort and following along, all they'll do is tell you everything you did is wrong.

Good for you that you are your own General Contractor, Gordon. I wasn't interested in doing that. So we didn't. If I had to do it all over again, I still wouldn't be my own General Contractor. In fact, I'd probably do most of the exact same things, except agree to wait to start the project if everything isn't on-site at the beginning. You see, yes, my contractor wasn't available to come back as soon as the cabinets were in, but the super is also qualified to do the work (it's what he did before he became a supervisor), so he did the work himself rather than cause any more delays, because he does care and appreciates that I've been patient rather than nagging, which I really didn't even do that much of last week. Also, there can't be a "littany of mystery problems with suppliers" if everything is on-site before demolition.

Keep your chin up, Rachel. This thread has been very helpful to those of us who are planning on re-doing our kitchens. First, we recognize that it's a big emotional as well as capital expenditure. Second, we learned that there's a shitload of varying opinions out there about the "proper" way to do it.

The key thing is that you'll soon have a kitchen to be proud of. For that, I say, Hurrah!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I too, have no intention of acting as my own General Contractor, although I am professionally qualified to do so.

I've loved hearing about your remodelling project Rachel. I'm living vicariously through you guys until my own starts. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Like I've said before, the only thing that's making me miserable is everyone else second-guessing everything we're doing. My parents, you guys. Did you read my last post? Things are moving again. Oh yeah, I'm sure Expo has a horrible relationship with their vendors, like they don't order enough stuff from Kraftmaid. You tell me to slip the guy $500 bucks, while on the other hand my mom is saying they should give me some of my money back because of the delays. The only advice I have for anyone else doing a project like this is not to document it publically, because instead of other people appreciating the effort and following along, all they'll do is tell you everything you did is wrong.

Good for you that you are your own General Contractor, Gordon. I wasn't interested in doing that. So we didn't. If I had to do it all over again, I still wouldn't be my own General Contractor. In fact, I'd probably do most of the exact same things, except agree to wait to start the project if everything isn't on-site at the beginning. You see, yes, my contractor wasn't available to come back as soon as the cabinets were in, but the super is also qualified to do the work (it's what he did before he became a supervisor), so he did the work himself rather than cause any more delays, because he does care and appreciates that I've been patient rather than nagging, which I really didn't even do that much of last week. Also, there can't be a "littany of mystery problems with suppliers" if everything is on-site before demolition.

General Contractor is just a term for the guy who call and schedules the work and orders the materials. It give insight on cost of materials, delivery time, etc. Many times, things can be expedited by paying some nominal shipping. Your story is probably just one or two small things that are holding the works up(the domino effect). Consider yourself lucky to have a good crew working in your place - things could be MUCH worse.

Just remember that the worst is over - it's too late to restart - ride it out, you're in the home stretch. You'll have a beautiful kitchen that was worth all the work. Don't pay any attention to the so-called armchair quarterbacks - just smile and say"You're right!" They can all drool when the place is finished.

I was a good GC because I was adept at scheduling the work and organizing. I was a great GC because I bought the guys donuts in the mornings and meatball subs for lunch. I've always thought a little grease for the wheels.....

I was a great GC because I bought the guys donuts in the mornings and meatball subs for lunch. I've always thought a little grease for the wheels.....
I think Expo has rules about these kinds of things. I offered to get coffee/lunch in the beginning, but they insist on bringing or picking up lunch. Pretty much the only thing they'll take from me is water from the cooler.

New Pictures added to Kitchen Construction Album.

Normally, I don't post the full sized images here (actually these are significantly reduced in size from the original images), but I wanted to show the difference between the original fridge, which stuck out from the counters and also was shorter than necessary, and the replacement. This shows how you can get a built-in-look in a refrigerator without paying for an actual built-in fridge. A visitor (admittedly not someone familiar with modern kitchens) even asked if it was a Sub-Zero, because it looked built-in to him.

fd5d2101.jpg vs. fd49af69.jpg

Also, I just want to show off the sink. We spent more than we had allotted for a sink on this Blanco design; Anthony calls it a modern farm sink because of the all in one construction. There are no seams anywhere from the backsplash to the front edge. Although we spent quite a bit on it originally, we saved $600 on the countertops because there were no undermount or fixture cut-outs to pay for, and when I noticed this sink on sale in an Expo circular ($200 less than we paid), they credited us the difference. Always keep an eye out for price changes on what you buy. A lot of stores, especially, Expo, will match or beat prices. We got that sale credit about 10 months after we actually paid for the sink!

fd49ab8e.jpg

I think Expo has rules about these kinds of things

I wasn't sure about this Expo reference so I read the whole thread. I never realized that Home Depot offered a soup to nuts service like that. You probably saved a bundle on the cabinets and fixtures. Did you Get the appliances there also ? Our Home Depots are just starting with basic lines(GE Profile, Maytag etc) . The Lowe's here has Kitchen Aid, Jenn Air, etc.

Gorgeous sink, Rachel. And, sensible. Why o why do sinks get made with crevices and seams and whatnot, anyways? I especially like how it makes its own counter edge, and the very rich-looking finish. Excellent choice.

I think your new kitchen overall is very exciting--digging the multi-textured tile action.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter