• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remodeling the Perlow Kitchen

Jason Perlow

Or in NYC. But frankly there aren't any real houses with property in either city, are there? Just Brownstones and row houses with a postage stamp garden? Not that we have a lot of propery, our property is about 85 x 100' and most of that is front yard, our back garden is pretty small.

There are, but they tend to belong to Madonna.  :raz:

To spare Jon I'll simply list stuff here: Garland range, Kitchen Aid fridge, Miele dishwasher. I've heard the Miele is so quiet that new owners frequently open it during a cycle to make sure it is actually running!

I'm soooo glad you didn't say you were getting a SubZero!  Mine, bought in 1996 has had three microprocessors replaced and six repair calls.  It sucks big time.

I have a Meile dishwasher and it is that quiet and never needs service, ever.

I remember my kitchen job.  I couldn't sleep for days during the construction but I really enjoy how everything looks every single day now.  (Notice I didn't say I enjoy using everything every single day because I don't use it that much)

I'm soooo glad you didn't say you were getting a SubZero!  Mine, bought in 1996 has had three microprocessors replaced and six repair calls.  It sucks big time.

That's what we heard from more than one person. Plus my cousin said she is always breaking her nails trying to open the door (not that I have long nails). I think the one we're getting is pretty cool.

main_ref_counter.jpg  Isn't it pretty?

The appliances arrived yesterday. Only damaged item was the refrigerator, big dent on the side, so that's being reordered. The stove is so beautiful. :tears in my eyes smilie: I wish I could use it right away.

I can't wait to hear how the twin 600 cfm fan ducts work.

Paul must have heard about the twin 600 cfm blowers at some eGullet event, but we were mistaken. We actually ordered a single 900 cfm, and that's what arrived yesterday. When I called to double check that that's what we ordered, the designer I spoke to chuckled, "What, are you guys building a commercial kitchen?"

I asked him about grease running down the side of my house, and he said that isn't an issue with the better filters used by modern equipment. I hope so, because the blower motor and exterior vent will be on the roof!

I thought Jason mentioned the dual fan assembly at the Seabra's dinner, but he mentioned he wasn't sure it would fit. Have you tested the 900 cfm to make sure it doesn't let poodles fly?

May I ask how satisfied you are with Expo, so far?  And, which Expo did you use? 

Dee and I are considering having some work done, and I'd like to stop by the Union NJ Expo (which I think is closest to us)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Actually, I could use some advise on Garbage Disposals, we haven't bought one yet.

Rachel, There's a safety issue here.  Get a batch feed type.  The cover has a contact which, when placed over the opening, must meet a contact inside the disposal to start it running.  The other type has a switch on the wall which turns the disposal on.  But this opens up the possibility of an accident, i.e., hand getting mangled.  No chance of that happening with the batch feed.

That's what we heard from more than one person. Plus my cousin said she is always breaking her nails trying to open the door...

At the risk of giving myself a kenahura, we have a SubZero and, with the exception of a minor problem with the ice maker soon after we got it and which was fixed with no charge, we have had no problems with it, and I really love it.  When we planned the renovation, my original intention was to keep my Maytag which was only 6 years old at the time.  But once my husband became enthusiastic about the renovation -- and that's another story -- that idea went out the window. We ended up with the SubZero and the "built-in" look; that is, the SZ doors have the same panels as the cabinets.

BTW, Sorry to hear that your frig came in dented.

I asked him about grease running down the side of my house, and he said that isn't an issue with the better filters used by modern equipment. I hope so, because the blower motor and exterior vent will be on the roof!

Not to worry.  Our motor and vent are mounted on the outside wall behind our cooktop, and there is not, nor ever has been, any grease on the shingles.

re: Sub Zero

Another reason for not getting the Sub Zero was price. As everyone ever doing a kitchen remodel learns, you always go 100% over your initial budget. Our initial budget was pretty generous and almost realistic, so we didn't go over by as much as that, but we had to cut costs somewhere. The fridge just wasn't as important to us as the high-end stove and super quiet, water efficient, dishwasher. (Fat Guy told me their dishwasher is so energy/water efficient it makes more sense to put everything in there and use it every day than to handwash, or even rinse, anything. I'm hoping to follow suit.) I'm also keeping my old microwave (1994) for now - works perfectly, still looks like the ones currently available in stores - so why change it?

May I ask how satisfied you are with Expo, so far?  And, which Expo did you use?

We used the Expo in Union. The Paramus store hadn't yet opened when we began the project. We're pretty satisfied with Expo, other than some of the confusion with deliveries. I think those problems were mostly with the warehouse. I understood the reasons for their insistance of having everything on-site before begining construction. This was all explained to me at one of the pre-constuction meetings. But, when it came to delaying my project because one of the base cabinets wasn't delivered to the warehouse (months ago), and said cabinet had no chance of needing to be installed before the reordered cabinet gets delivered, it seemed ridiculous. A compromise was reached and they are supposed to start tomorrow.

I like the fact that they have a project supervisor to act as liaison between the store, the customer, and the actual contractor. My designer and super agreed that the contractor assigned is the best one, that he does excellent work. I like the fact that I didn't have to be my own General Contractor, finding all the right professionals to do the job, even down to applying for the town permits. They also make use of a lock box, so you don't have to be home every single day of the project to let workers in.

You pay for this convenience, however, so keep that in mind. If you don't mind doing the leg work and directly dealing with all the necessary workers, inspector appointments, etc., then you can save money by going another way.

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (heart pounding)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

RPerlow Posted on June 19 2002,10:26

They're here! Kitchen demolition is underway.

And so, the fun begins....  Those of us who have been through it are with you in spirit.   :smile:

lizziee Posted on June 19 2002,13:19

My one theory on remodeling is that if you can stay married during the process, you will be able to stay married forever.

While I certainly do not disagree with your theory, mine about durable marriages goes like this.  If you can drive through Boston without ending up in divorce court, you can survive just about anything.  Maybe this theory belongs on the New England board?   :raz:

While I certainly do not disagree with your theory, mine about durable marriages goes like this.  If you can drive through Boston without ending up in divorce court, you can survive just about anything.  Maybe this theory belongs on the New England board?   :raz:

As an ex-Bostonian, driving in Boston is right up there with remodeling.

Sorry, I put my initial request for help in this diary in the General Forum. But then I realized that it's the NJ people who would actually be able to help me. Thanks to them & some other friends I have a few roof people coming tomorrow to check out the damage. Hopefully, it'll just be some repairs, like caulking around the skylight, and not a whole new roof!

FYI - my whole kitchen was gutted in about 5 hours! Tomorrow they are coming to remove the plywood the old tiles were attached to, and the plumber should begin work too.

Tip - if your town has an area to dump construction garbage, like the Transfer Station in my town, find out all the regulations for using it, and allowing your contractor to use it, ahead of time. I've been there several times to dump broken furniture or other large garbage items, and no one ever asked to see any proof of residency. Yesterday when I arrived with the contractor's assistants it was, "where's your decal?" And I had to run over to Borough Hall to get the proper sticker for me and temporary pass for the contractor (all about 5 minutes before the Clerk's Office was closing).

just be thankful da roof, da roof, da roof isn't on fi-ya.

In such a case, is it not appropriate just to let the muthaf*cka burn?

Rachel and Jason, if there are party people in your house, the correct procedure is to put your hands into the air, and wave them like you do not care, until they leave.  This is what I have been told.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May