• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remodeling the Perlow Kitchen

Jason Perlow

Sounds wonderful Rachel!

Kim WB, decorators drive me crazy! I've spent 20 years working with them in commercial design and construction and now, in doing my own kitchen, it's even worse! Some designers are great, but most tend to want to go for that "funky" look regardless of whether it works well in design or not. For example, in the first design plan of our new kitchen, the designer placed the wall ovens on one side of the island and the cook top on the other side of the island, forcing me to walk around the island to get from cooktop to oven to check on things. Not a very efficent work triangle. And she insists on moving my sink. I keep moving it back. I think she's got something against it being under my kitchen window. We are now on the 12th plan......sigh. And I have a huge kitchen with plenty of space to work with here...

Rachel, a quick question on your countertop. Is is all one piece? One of my countertops is going to be quite long which means it can't be all one piece granite, so we'll have a seam in it. How visible are seams in granite?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Since I don't have granite installed (actually I don't have anything installed yet :wink: ), I don't know how visible the seams would be. My concern about granite with regard to seams would be that since it is a natural material with mineral veins running through it, it may not be possible to have it appear seamless. Since my longest run of countertop is about 6 feet, I don't think I'll have any seams. But, since the Silestone is more uniform in appearance I don't think seams would be as noticable if there were.

Of course, I forgot you aren't finished yet. That is also my concern about granite. I'm still working on sourcing Silestone here. Of course at the rate we are going, we'll still be designing it this time next year. .. :angry:

Marlene

For example, in the first design plan of our new kitchen, the designer placed the wall ovens on one side of the island and the cook top on the other side of the island, forcing me to walk around the island to get from cooktop to oven to check on things.  Not a very efficent work triangle.  And she insists on moving my sink.  I keep moving it back.  I think she's got something against it being under my kitchen window.  We are now on the 12th plan......sigh.  And I have a huge kitchen with plenty of space to work with here...

Marlene--I think you should seriously consider getting a different kitchen designer. From what you've said she's not listening to you (#1 sign of a bad designer) and doesn't have much of a clue as far as layout. Has she given you any explanation of why she thinks the sink shouldn't go under the window? Does she have a track record? Did you check her references?

Even if she's doing "design only" she should be able to recommend a Silestone fabricator for you. Try calling around to local granite and stone dealers/fabricators.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

For example, in the first design plan of our new kitchen, the designer placed the wall ovens on one side of the island and the cook top on the other side of the island, forcing me to walk around the island to get from cooktop to oven to check on things.  Not a very efficent work triangle.  And she insists on moving my sink.  I keep moving it back.  I think she's got something against it being under my kitchen window.  We are now on the 12th plan......sigh.  And I have a huge kitchen with plenty of space to work with here...

Marlene--I think you should seriously consider getting a different kitchen designer. From what you've said she's not listening to you (#1 sign of a bad designer) and doesn't have much of a clue as far as layout. Has she given you any explanation of why she thinks the sink shouldn't go under the window? Does she have a track record? Did you check her references?

Even if she's doing "design only" she should be able to recommend a Silestone fabricator for you. Try calling around to local granite and stone dealers/fabricators.

You read my mind! That is exactly what I'll be doing. These people are supposedly well known in kitchen design. However, you're right, she's not listening. (She really hates it when I don't like her ideas). They've been around for 10 years or so and yes, I checked her references. I've paid for the plans,so I've been fighting with the designer to get them the way I want them, since I will be taking them elsewhere. In addition, these people are about $30,000 higher than the people I will likely end up using. The difference? The ones I want to do the work are small, unknown craftsmen (brothers) who make everything by hand. No contest. I've seen their work, and the fit and finish is exceptional. As for Silestone, I have a couple of granite people looking into it. It's widely available in the States but not yet in Ontario. The (current) kitchen designer seems to think I should use granite or limestone.... my one counter will run about 14 ft long and the island is 10 ft. There's no way I can get a single piece of 14 ft counter, (for one thing, It won't fit through the door into the kitchen!)

And this is supposed to be the fun part :hmmm:

Marlene

These people are supposedly well known in kitchen design.  However, you're right, she's not listening.  (She really hates it when I don't like her ideas).  They've been around for 10 years or so and yes, I checked her references.

Discussion between friend and former kitchen designer:

Friend: "But you aren't listening to me. I'm the one who's going to have to cook in this kitchen."

Designer: "But, we'll be featuring it in our portfolio."

Friend: "I must remind you that I am the customer, and I will get what I want."

Designer: Sputters "But, but, but, I'm the designer!"

That was their last meeting. He went with smaller group, and has been thrilled with designs, craftmanship, and lack of problems.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

One of my countertops is going to be quite long which means it can't be all one piece granite, so we'll have a seam in it.  How visible are seams in granite?

Marlene,

I have granite kitchen counters. The granite on the major part of my center island is one 8-foot long piece, no seam. There’s a large sink in the middle and a section that juts out around which we’ve placed two stools. (There is also a smaller raised cabinet section topped with granite.) However, there is a seam on the L-shaped counter which runs along the back wall, with the double sink under the windows (yes, sinks under the windows! :smile:) and then along the side wall ending at one side of the cook top. The people who did the granite work told me that they decided to do two pieces and seam them because they feared that one un-seamed, L-shaped piece, with a very large hole for a double sink, would crack during installation. The seam is barely visible. I think the reason is that (1) the coloration of the granite we chose helps to "hide" the seam and (2) the workmanship of the installers seaming the two pieces was extraordinary. In the last analysis, it boils down to having total confidence in the people you choose to do the granite work.

Opinions needed re: Garbage Disposal. Yes, I have one - it's sitting in its box in the kitchen right now. Question is which sink in which to install it? The larger and deeper sink on the left hand side or the right hand, smaller and shallower side?

Any last minute opinions? It's about to be installed.

Most of the ones I have seen installed are in the smaller sink. I'd put it in the sink you use the least.

Marlene

Opinions needed re: Garbage Disposal. Yes, I have one - it's sitting in its box in the kitchen right now. Question is which sink in which to install it? The larger and deeper sink on the left hand side or the right hand, smaller and shallower side?

Any last minute opinions? It's about to be installed.

giving this some (very) quick thought, i occurs to me that it should probably be in the sink that will have the least amount of stuff in it, because you probably will be pushing scraps from the counter and plates into the thing and you'll want that stuff down and out immediately. so, as marlene suggests, the smaller sink sounds right. it will rarely be so full that you can't get the food down to the disposal. whereas the big sink might have a lot of dishes or you might have a big pot soaking, etc.

Suggestion for which side to place the garbage disposal......I don't remember from your pics exactly how everything is set up, but I'd put the disposal in the sink that's on the same side of the counter on which you expect to do most of your prep work. So you can easily slide in the scraps.

Another thing to consider; do you plan on using the space under either side of the sink? If the disposal takes up space underneath, you'll be limited to shorter items, like cleaning products, instead of a waste or recycling basket.

Steve

OK, it's in under the smaller sink. I have the garbage bin thing to install beneath the sink, but between the disposal and the pipes I think that will be exchanged for one of those adjustable shelving units to hold cleaning supplies & stuff.

Working on a few pics, they'll be posted shortly to the imagestation album.

OK - new pictures are up, click my stove: fd3b1064.jpg.thumb.jpg

Latest problems: 1) The island trim is missing from the back of the stove. No one ever looked at the stove close enough to realize it wasn't already attached, so no one missed the box. 2) Sink is rough installed (not caulked in until the countertops are installed, sometime between Oct 3-9) but the plumbing isn't finished because it came with European fittings and he has to get the American parts adaptors - or something like that.

It's always something. Hopefully those parts (OK, the sink only requires a trip to the hardware store, but the island trim probably has to be reordered) will be available by the time the countertop gets installed and everything will be done at the same time.

I learned something interesting recently. The designer we used didn't just leave Expo, she was fired. Suffice it to say that my project isn't the only one of her's that's had many issues. Her designs are all very beautiful (according to Charlie the contractor), but she made mistakes with the technical details of all her projects.

After you read that, it must seem needless to say, but I just learned that the island trim for the stove was never ordered. It was written in the specs, but she didn't put the sku number on the order! Oy. My mother has been saying I should demand some recompense for the mistakes and delays. She (and you all) will be happy to learn that they are rush ordering the island trim and are not charging me for it (without me having to ask, which I would have).

I may have missed this, Rachel, but are you integrating sound (speakers, stereo) into your kitchen? If so, how are you doing it?

I gotta have music when I cook, and our family's gotta have music when we eat. I currently have bookshelf speakers, but as I'm progressing with my own remodelling, I'd like a more "elegant" integration.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I may have missed this, Rachel, but are you integrating sound (speakers, stereo) into your kitchen?  If so, how are you doing it?

I gotta have music when I cook, and our family's gotta have music when we eat.  I currently have bookshelf speakers, but as I'm progressing with my own remodelling, I'd like a more "elegant" integration.

What a great idea! hmmmm, now where to put them?

Marlene

• 2 weeks later...

Light at the end of the tunnel. Um, yes?

Backsplash tile installed yesterday: fd2eca56.jpg.thumb.jpg

Today, they finished the molding around the cabinets, installed & adjusted cabinet doors, spackling of ceiling, vent hood blower motor installed. No more pics cause Jason took the camera to Seattle with him. We're getting there...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update... The electrical is done, painting this week. Various punch list items to complete. And, unfortunately, the Garland stove has a small gas leak in one of the burners. Charlie thinks it is a fault in the turn off knob (like it's not turning far enough to turn it off), so we have to deal with servicing that before being able to really cook. But after it's painted I should be able to start moving stuff back in. The kitchen is so close to being completed I'm waiting on additional pictures until it's done then I'll post a new album.

For those keeping track, it's been four months. Just like several people predicted it took twice as long as expected. :angry: There are several factors that went into the renovation taking so long. We are dealing with EXPO, discussing possible partial reimbursement, and I want to complete that offline before I make any additional comments about it here.