• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remodeling the Perlow Kitchen

Jason Perlow

If your fridge's water filter works like ours, then you wouldn't need an outside the fridge/in the wall line because the filter filters the water for the ice maker within the fridge itself. No outside water source is necessary for the ice maker to work.

Uh, where does your fridge get the water from which to make the ice? I understand you don't need to filter the water before it gets to the fridge, but the water needs to get into the refridgerator's filter from somewhere. That's what I'm talking about.

Oops! Brain malfunction! :wub: What I should have said is what it says right here in my Sub Zero brochure: "The ice maker... is fully automatic.... To put into operation it requires only a connection to the house water supply." So, of course, you are correct that you do need a water line into the fridge in order for the ice maker to make ice, and then the internal filter can do its work. As I mentioned, we originally intended to extend the filter line that runs between our two sinks to the fridge, but because of a failure to communicate properly, it wasn't done. But the necessary water line was installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I'm joining this thread a little late in the process, but would like to thank those members who mentioned the blower issue earlier (ie "poodles flying").

We're in the middle of our own kitchen renovation and are eagerly awaiting the installation of a Thermador range - total operating nastiness of 78,000BTU's. Our blower is rated at 1,000cpm and, since checking, we've discovered that this may be a problem in our tightly insulated house (smoke reversing down chimneys, small furry creatures taking flight, etc. ...).

We've started looking at options to regulate the air pressure in the house while it's running (other than cracking a window). There are three cats in the house and - while I'm tempted by the comic potential - I believe the local humane society is very specific on their status as flyers.

Thanks again!

Basically, the air to get sucked out has to come from somewhere. If the house is tightly sealed it will effect the ability of the ventalation system to, well, ventalate.

BTW everyone, the renovation is on hiatus because two cabinets had to be reordered. We'll return to our regular programming at the end of the month. Hopefully. :unsure:

I'm joining this thread a little late in the process, but would like to thank those members who mentioned the blower issue earlier (ie "poodles flying").

I imagine it would look something like this:

fd67e38e.jpg

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Fridge is here.  :biggrin:

Rachel,

I know you said you weren't getting a SubZero. So, what kind did you buy?

BTW, re: taking care of all your new stainless steel appliances. I had a cleaning woman for a couple of weeks last year. I fired her because we couldn't stand her personality. But I learned a little secret from her about dealing with stainless steel. After removing the grease (Formula 409 works for that), she used regular rubbing alcohol as a "finishing agent." She poured it into a spray bottle, sprayed the stainless steel surfaces, wiped them with a clean cloth and -- voila! -- surfaces that really shine. :smile:

Posted: Jun 11 2002, 07:39

Tomorrow we are having our kitchen demolished, in a remodeling project that will take 2 months. Here are the before shots -- Rachel will provide the ongoing narrative and we'll document its construction over the next few weeks.

Jun 11 2002, 07:47 PM

It will cost twice what you thought and take longer than 2 months.

Posted: Aug 1 2002, 03:39 PM

So, even though there will be some more downtime over the next couple weeks, there would have been that downtime anyway. I would hope we will be finished by the end of the month. Is that wishful thinking?

Yes!!

Only jhlurie would have the brilliance to combine a dog, a blender, George W, and a Don Martin character.  Gee, I need to go back and check out my 70s edition Mad magazines.

Good eye. On the Don Martin character, I mean. That's the Don Martin Mona Lisa, of course.

The blender is some weird brand I saw a photo of with a bright red base.

Back to the neverending saga of the Perlow kitchen.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Here’s the resolution to the refrigerator issue.

First off, it wasn't just not working, I also didn't like the way it stuck out from the cabinet. KitchenAid (and many other brands) Stainless Steel-look refrigerators have black sides. The fridge stuck out about 6 inches from the cabinet so the black sides were exposed, which will not look right in my light colored kitchen. I expressed my displeasure and blamed it on my designer who should have, in my opinion, pointed out that this would happen and that I should have bought a counter depth model. So, I am swapping it for a similar looking KitchenAid fridge, and got them to waive the restocking and redelivery fees.

fd5d2101.jpg.thumb.jpg This is the refrigerator that sticks out too much. The new one is supposed to be delivered in about a week.

The new fridge is a little bit more money, but we actually got an excellent price on it. It was a decision between the "Architect" series or the regular KitchenAid 36" Stainless Steel Counter Depth fridges. The Architect series is more expensive, but was what we had in the non-counter depth model that we were replacing. It was recently on sale at Expo; even though the sale had ended the sign hadn't been taken off the display, so they're honoring that price. At this point I didn't even haggle because I had researched the prices on the regular model and realized that the price they were offering on the Architect model was lower then I could get online for the regular model.

Here is a picture of it: kscs25fkss-es-largeview.jpg

I am glad we were able to get the Architect model because the handles we bought for the cabinetry mimic the demi-lune shape of the refrigerator's handles. Another feature of the fridge we like is the easy access to the water filter, which is in front through the bottom grill.

Question: Am I being too forgiving? And, if so, what should I be doing about it?

It has been mentioned elsewhere on this site that I am "very forgiving (Home Expo-wise)." In addition, my father thinks that I should be furious and shouldn't have allowed the problems that occured to have occured (or something like that), Jason is very frustrated in the delays, etc. Meanwhile, I figure every major remodel has its own set of problems. When I really feel the need to cook, I manage between the outdoor grill with its one burner, the convection/toaster oven, and the microwave; otherwise we have been enjoying going out and have discovered many inexpensive restaurants in our area. I suppose I'm being very zen about it (forgive me if I'm using the term wrongly), but I just let it go, except to make the occasional reminder calls to the project super, while trying not to badger them too much.

What would you be doing? I mean what can I do? It's not like I'm going to go to the cabinet manufacturer and say "make my cabinets now!!!" I did get a little annoyed with my super yesterday. He said he's called the warehouse and told them to call him as soon as the cabinets come in and he will pick them up himself instead of waiting for their regular delivery. I said, have you called the manufacturer to make sure they have been made yet? He hadn't, so I asked him to call and do that. Well, that was a little frustrating, I thought it was a no brainer to call the actual people making the things and say, "where are they?"

Am I wrong to be calm and forgiving or am I a sucker? If you've been reading this thread from the beginning, you know that we've officially paid for the project in full - however half of it is still on our Expo credit card with no payments or interest until June 2003, so have only laid out half the cash. I have called the credit card customer service and there are remedies available if the project isn't finished by the time payment is due. There is 0 chance of the project still going on next June so I doubt that will be an issue.

OK - let me have it - you're all so smart, what would you do now (not what could I have done differently in the past) about project delays?

Rachel, my saying that you're forgiving was in no way meant to be a criticism.

My only recommendation for expediting your kitchen is this: Call the person in charge of the whole project EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'm sure you're very organized. Go over every single piece of business that is still pending, slowly and dispassionately but relentlessly EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'm telling you, make an absolute pest of yourself. Be the mosquito in his ear. Never get upset but never give in to not calling. You can be sure that there are sharks out there that are getting the attention that their project requires by being very tenacious and they may even be getting ahead of your work. Trust me on this, I know about these things. Remember, CALL EVERY SINGLE DAY. Heres a line you can use "You say that production for my replacement __________ is backed up? Well someone is getting their ____________ today WHY ISN'T THAT SOMEONE ME??????????"

CALL EVERY SINGLE DAY

I know it wasn't a criticism from you, but it was a criticism coming from my father - you know how that can be. I agree I've been too patient because of not wanting to be a pest, but now that's over. I'm tired of being patient. I spoke to my super twice today and told him to get on the ball with regard to the cabinet manufacturer. I now have dates that the things are supposed to be in, but I'm not satisfied with those dates and I've told him that. Thanks for the encouragement!

I've been the president of my 39-apartment co-op for many years (on and off, due to term limits) and this is what I have to say:

Working with contractors is a gigantic pain. One has to be somewhat "forgiving" of the mistakes that are judged to be:

1. due to total stupidity on anyone's undeterminable part;

2. due to circumstances over which NO ONE has control, such as a supplier who sent an appliance that was not ordered;

3. due to be the fault of the person asking (in this case, you, Rachel), because of incomplete information given to you.

However, if you ordered the right thing, and the contractor or subcontractor or supplier sent the wrong thing, you should be mad as hell and act accordingly. Not necessarily yelling; I've found that a look of extreme pain and disappointment, accompanying the statement "(sigh) Well, this isn't what the contract says it should be; oh it's all right, we can pee into a bucket until you bring the toilet we ordered" can do wonders.

Rachel: Once this is over, you will have a fabulous kitchen that is the envy of most if not all of us. COURAGE!!!!!!! and keep up the appropriate fight.

If you really feel that you've put yourself, somewhat unintentionally, into a position of weakness with Expo, maybe you need someone to physically re-visit the Expo center with you for a face-to-face meeting with the "Super" on your project. Have your cohort play "bad cop" to your "good cop". Wince a lot when that other person is out of the room, or gone to the bathroom, and play them from both ends.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I can't help thinking I've done most of this already. :cool: You should have seen my mom go when I brought her with me the time I was at Expo to correct all the little problems that occurred a while ago. I think I'll revert back to my zen state except for daily calls.

Thanks for all your encouragement. I think being able to get the frustration out here online really helps.