• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Looks great, Eric, best of luck! I can't wait to try those fries you posted about. Now I have a real timetable to figure out how to get to Verona. It will be worth travelling to, I'm sure.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Hey Eric it's chilly (chili) today... but hot dog, you've gotten started nicely so far!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

"Looks great, Eric, best of luck! I can't wait to try those fries you posted about. Now I have a real timetable to figure out how to get to Verona. It will be worth travelling to, I'm sure."

TongoRad, we'll have to get a caravan going from Northern Bergen County- I know the way.

Eric, Looks great! All the ideas you were talking about when we visited the space last month are coming to life. Can't wait til January.

Dana

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped in the other day to say hi and to see how construction was going. The potato peelers are heavy-duty, as advertised :) Friendly guys, too, and it randomly so happened that I ran into an old family friend as well. Good times--highly looking forward to opening day (Jan. 16, 10AM).

Edited by iwakura42 (log)

I stopped in the other day to say hi and to see how construction was going. The potato peelers are heavy-duty, as advertised :)  Friendly guys, too, and it randomly so happened that I ran into an old family friend as well. Good times--highly looking forward to opening day (Jan. 16, 10AM).

Hey, it was great meeting you the other day, Thanks alot for stopping by. We are on schedule for the January 16th opening, and yeah, how freaky and random that you knew my friend/contractor Richard. Spooky!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Almost there. I'm with Rosie, it's been great sharing this roller coaster ride with you.

One last, way too late suggestion. Milk shakes. Made right, like your fries. A free small two flavor (maybe four is as small as they go) dipping cabinet from your supplier or good ice gream, a Hamilton-Beach Super Blender. They are comparatively high food cost, percentage wise. But will bring in more actual dollars than fountain beverages, and have a nice effect on check average and cash flow.

Also, could you explain the hotburger hamdog a bit more?

Great success.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Almost there.  I'm with Rosie, it's been great sharing this roller coaster ride with you.

One last, way too late suggestion.  Milk shakes.  Made right, like your fries.  A free small two flavor (maybe four is as small as they go) dipping cabinet from your supplier or good ice gream, a Hamilton-Beach Super Blender.  They are comparatively high food cost, percentage wise.  But will bring in more actual dollars than fountain beverages, and have a nice effect on check average and cash flow.

Great success.

Holly, We have discussed milkshakes, and while we thnk they are a natural addition to hot dogs and fries, we are limited in this particular location by the lack of square footage. Perhaps in store #2. The HotBurger HamDog is basically a hot dog that is scored in such a way that it curls upon itself creating a vessel to hold any number of toppings; Oh why don't I just show you this picture:

gallery_16368_1642_19461.jpg

Pretty neat, huh?

Look for our opening on January 16th!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Man, that looks yummy... do you think you'll make deliveries up to Bergen county? (wink/wink) hehe... drooling on my keyboard. Sheesh, I'll have to see you when I visit my grandmother in west orange! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Almost there.  I'm with Rosie, it's been great sharing this roller coaster ride with you.

One last, way too late suggestion.  Milk shakes.  Made right, like your fries.  A free small two flavor (maybe four is as small as they go) dipping cabinet from your supplier or good ice gream, a Hamilton-Beach Super Blender.  They are comparatively high food cost, percentage wise.  But will bring in more actual dollars than fountain beverages, and have a nice effect on check average and cash flow.

Great success.

Holly, We have discussed milkshakes, and while we thnk they are a natural addition to hot dogs and fries, we are limited in this particular location by the lack of square footage. Perhaps in store #2. The HotBurger HamDog is basically a hot dog that is scored in such a way that it curls upon itself creating a vessel to hold any number of toppings; Oh why don't I just show you this picture:

gallery_16368_1642_19461.jpg

Pretty neat, huh?

Look for our opening on January 16th!!

Eric

Eric:

That's pretty neat! Did you register that name yet?? You'd better. I see a slew of imitators coming around the bend...

Very cool and I wish you the best of luck for a prosperous venture in this New Year! I'll definitely go out of my way to stop by on my next trip through North Jersey!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well folks, we have successfully passed all of our inspections and have been issued a Certificate of Occupancy!! We have a few, very minor concerns to take care of, none of which were "deal breakers.

Matt and I are relieved that this chapter of the AMAZING HOT DOG story is over and we are ever so close to cooking our first dog. We are well on schedule for our January 16th opening day.

We have a few housekeeping items to tackle, our hi tech cash register system to learn, our employees to train, our food prep to do and we're good to go.

Thanks for all your support during the past few months, and please please please feel free to stop in prior to our opening (and certainly after) LOL if you are in the area.

Eric

Edited for gramatical correctiveness

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

What she said. Yeah, THAT. :wink::biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Just looking at that photo makes me hungry!... well, given that you're in the next town over from me (I'm in West Orange), I am look forward to adding it to the list of regular haunts!

Good luck!

Jason

Only 3 more days folks ....Saturday is the big day, although I already had some. And the fries are killer.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Saturday?

I think Monday is the big day, but Eric's been so busy lately that we've hardly seen him around.

We are very excited -- and thrilled by all the support here. Can't wait to get those doors opened!

:biggrin:

oops

Edited by Dana329 (log)

Saturday?

I think Monday is the big day, but Eric's been so busy lately that we've hardly seen him around.

We are very excited -- and thrilled by all the support here. Can't wait to get those doors opened!

:biggrin:

I thought it was Monday too, but I guess Beth would know best. What time are you opening? Schools closed and I am off so I will be there with the kids and their appetites. Can't wait!

Dana

I stopped by and was lucky enough to have a few samples courtesy of the chef himself! :cool:

I tasted:

a) possibly the best fries EVER

b) buffalo dogs (in buffalo wing sauce)

c) egg roll dogs (?) (picture a small egg roll but w/a dog inside), served with sweet

and sour dipping sauce

d) "the schmear" which sounds weird but was really tasty--cream cheese and

scallions alongside the dog

e) the breakfast dog--wrapped in bacon, with an egg and cheese under it

I suspect AHD is going to be very busy on Monday (and beyond)! Congrats to Eric and his business partner (Matt) on getting the place in great shape and for their creative and yummy menu! My niece is already asking "When can we go to the hot dog restaurant?" Really. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I stopped by and was lucky enough to have a few samples courtesy of the chef himself!  :cool: 

I tasted:

a) possibly the best fries EVER

b) buffalo dogs (in buffalo wing sauce)

c) egg roll dogs (?) (picture a small egg roll but w/a dog inside), served with sweet

and sour dipping sauce

d) "the schmear" which sounds weird but was really tasty--cream cheese and

scallions alongside the dog

e) the breakfast dog--wrapped in bacon, with an egg and cheese under it

I suspect AHD is going to be very busy on Monday (and beyond)!  Congrats to Eric and his business partner (Matt) on getting the place in great shape and for their creative and yummy menu!  My niece is already asking "When can we go to the hot dog restaurant?"  Really.  :wink:

This place sounds like it's going to be killer. A bit far for me to go to regularly from home in Fair Lawn, but I can defintely make some trips there from work in East Orange. I can't be there Monday, but if I can get in I'll definitely make a trip sometime during opening week! I can't wait!

This place sounds like it's going to be killer. A bit far for me to go to regularly from home in Fair Lawn, but I can defintely make some trips there from work in East Orange. I can't be there Monday, but if I can get in I'll definitely make a trip sometime during opening week! I can't wait!

I look forward to meeting you Zhelder. Make sure you introduce yourself when you come in.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85