• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Removing seeds from hot peppers

heidih

I see people here and in general removing the seeds from hot peppers as a way to tone down heat. I understand removal for appearnce and texture but not for heat. Last bunch of years I think the concensus is heat really in the ribs and white not seeds. Do you remove, and if so why?  https://www.thekitchn.com/the-true-source-of-a-chile-peppers-heat-kitchen-facts-216983

My cooking is homestyle and I like heat. I was curious about the automatic direction it seems to remove. It begs the question (I know that is not real meaning of phrase but it works) - why use a hot pepper if you do not want the heat. Such a range of peppers available. 

26 minutes ago, heidih said:

My cooking is homestyle and I like heat. I was curious about the automatic direction it seems to remove. It begs the question (I know that is not real meaning of phrase but it works) - why use a hot pepper if you do not want the heat. Such a range of peppers available. 

Can't help responding....not if you live in East Central Ontario.  :sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

51 minutes ago, heidih said:

Some peppers have better flavor than others, so you're not just eating them for the heat. In the old days, in NM, real Hatch chiles were often so hot you really did need to remove some seeds, but the flavor was the best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Do you remove, and if so why?

Sometimes, and for various reasons. Oh, you want more detail? :laugh:

I might remove seeds (and probably some pith) if I want to:

• Reduce heat for those who do not appreciate capsaicin
  • Get more chilie flavor for a given amount of heat
  • Avoid seed texture

I might leave seeds and pith in if:

• Cooking for myself (usually)
  • I am not worried the recipe will be too spicy for diners
  • More heat is called for

I got in the habit of removing seeds and pith when the boys were at home. One is pretty tolerant of capsaicin, the other not so much.

Edited by C. sapidus
Spelling (log)

For me it's generally a textural thing. If I'm fermenting either whole peppers or a puree for a hot sauce only the stems get removed. At the other end of the spectrum if I'm adding chopped peppers to scrambled eggs I'll remove the seeds and pith.

Also, as pointed out above, some peppers, such as scotch bonnets, have flavour elements that get lost with too much heat.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker
Addition (log)
  • Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

You could use a vegetable peeler not to peel but to scrape out the seeds.   Some how I acquired an ~ 1/4 “ diam copper tube with half of it cut to use to core vegetables.  Probably came from Mexico.  I have family there 

39B8A31A-5635-4AB5-A1AB-ADDE4AC184E9.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97
Added photo (log)
  • Like 1

I've had this old grapefruit spoon for many years (don't even know if these are still made) and have never used it on a grapefruit.

It's great for deseeding peppers and even better at cleaning out a winter squash.

DSCN0828.thumb.JPG.e55b433a06b4aec433dc7d9d2f9f931c.JPG

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

On 5/12/2023 at 7:54 AM, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I've had this old grapefruit spoon for many years (don't even know if these are still made) and have never used it on a grapefruit.

It's great for deseeding peppers and even better at cleaning out a winter squash.

DSCN0828.thumb.JPG.e55b433a06b4aec433dc7d9d2f9f931c.JPG

I have a half-dozen of them, purchased for those specific uses. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning