• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Types of Japanese rice

torakris

First of all, have you checked out this post by Fat Guy on page 1 of this thread?

It's impossible to answer your questions because they are hypothetical; there are hardly any Japanese who have tasted the Koshihikari rice grown in California.  I guess that rice sommeliers should be capable of telling the difference because they can tell the difference between rices grown in different parts of Japan.

As for your second question, that depends on how you define the average Japanese person.  Some are not particular about the taste of rice and are satisified with the cheapest rice, while others are particular about it and buy specific brands.  The latter may be able to tell the difference.

I think I can tell the difference between domestic and foreign rices, but again, I can never be sure because I have never tasted the latter.

Anyone?

Dear Hiroyuki-san

Thank you for your thoughtful and speedy reply.

Yes, I had seen Fat Guy's post (but his link is no longer active). I am wondering if the same variety of rice was used from each country in that test. Anyway, the 40% success rate is not good.

Given what you explain about "rice sommeliers" elsewhere, i.e. that it is a two-day qualification which is bought for a fee including lunch (and I guess that no candidate fails the course), I am a little surprised that you should now defer to their abilities. Surely the "Niigata middle-aged local women" who you mention as being the true sommeliers are more skilled, and are the ones who could do this if anyone can, i.e. differentiate between Japanese koshihikari and foreign koshihikari.

I am also a little surprised that you, an obviously well-educated person with a great interest in rice, have never tasted Californian koshihikari, or indeed any foreign rice at all. Even if you never travel there, cannot somebody bring you some or send you some? I agree that there is little point in trying inferior products, but that begs the question as to whether foreign premium rice is inferior or not.

By the way, Australia has also produced koshihikari (in the Riverina region, Sunrice brand) since 1998. It is now widely available in supermarkets in Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.sunrice.com.au/rice/industry-timeline.asp

Maybe on the same general topic, I have seen eucalyptus trees in Spain, France and California, and they usually look much healthier than in Australia. Probably the terroir. The same goes for French acacia ("wattle" tree).

Edited by Kaitenzushi (log)

Dear Hiroyuki-san

Thank you for your thoughtful and speedy reply.

Yes, I had seen Fat Guy's post (but his link is no longer active). I am wondering if the same variety of rice was used from each country in that test.  Anyway, the 40% success rate is not good.

I actually wrote Prof. Chinen about his article and he was nice enough to reply last year. Here's his reply, I hope he doesn't mind being quoted:

"I put Japanese tastes and beliefs to the test in a series of experiments conducted in:

Sunnyvale and Sacramento (N = 161), and Japan (N=130). I eventaully asked 291 Japanese nationals to taste two portions of Koshihikari (4th grade Koshihikari grown in Kamo-city, Niigata vs. Koshihikari grown in Sacramento valley,which is equivalent to 4th grade rice in Japan). Two rice cookers (IH rice cookers to avoid criticism, the most expensive ones available in CA at that time) were used for the research."

The bold is my own emphasis.

EDIT: Fat Guy's original link is dead, but I previously posted another link that is buried in this thread. Here it is:

http://www.csus.edu/news/020503rice.htm

Here's another link that describes Chinen's results and also quotes another tasting result.

http://siu.typepad.jp/podcast/2006/06/index.html

"Japanese who travel to California are amazed by the large number of sushi restaurants there. They are also impressed by the high quality of California rice used in these Japanese restaurants. California’s Japanese rice is Koshihikari and is similar to that grown in Japan. Professor Ken Chinen, a Japanese university professor in California, decided to conduct an experiment to determine if Japanese Koshihikari tastes better than California Koshihikari.

He conducted his test with 161 Japanese citizens who are living in California. Before the test, almost all of these Japanese citizens said they preferred Japanese rice to California rice. These Japanese citizens were given samples of cooked rice and were not told whether the rice was Japanese rice or California rice. Then they were asked whether the rice was Japanese or California rice.

Forty percent of these 161 made a mistake and said the rice they tasted was from Japan, when in fact, the rice was from California. In other words, almost half of the Japanese citizens could not tell the difference between California and Japanese rice.

In February 2003, the Japan Rice Association conducted a survey in Japan about the quality of California rice sold in Japan. They used a scale of 0 - 100, with 100 the best tasting rice. Japanese who tasted Koshihikari rice from California gave it a score of 78, and those who tasted Akitakomachi rice from California gave it a score of 74. These same tasters gave a score of 74 to Koshihikari rice grown in Niigata and a score of 72 for Akitakomachi rice grown in Akita."

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Dear Sanrensho-san

Thank you very much, that answers my Q2 perfectly, i.e. the test did use the same variety and grade. So, on average, normal Japanese consumers cannot tell the difference.

I accept that experts may be able to tell the difference. So the only remaining question is "who are the experts?". The "rice sommelier" two-day course with lunch sounds like a joke. But true experts may exist, e.g. Niigata middle-aged housewives. Someone who can tell the difference between domestic Japanese rice of the same variety from different areas can probably do it.

O-sewa ni narimashita.

Edited by Kaitenzushi (log)

a two-day qualification which is bought for a fee including lunch

"Niigata middle-aged local women"

You seem to have read all of my posts about rice, Koshihikari, and those sommeliers! :blink::laugh:

I know how you feel about sommeliers, but I can't think of any other group of people who can possibly have that capability.

I am also a little surprised that you, an obviously well-educated person with a great interest in rice, have never tasted Californian koshihikari, or indeed any foreign rice at all. Even if you never travel there, cannot somebody bring you some or send you some?

I wouldn't mind at all if you would be the first one to send me some. :biggrin:

And many thanks to sanrensho, who provided useful information.

You seem to have read all of my posts about rice, Koshihikari, and those sommeliers! :blink:  :laugh:

Well actually I have not read them all just yet, mainly because I have only just discovered eGullet, but I do hope to do so before too long.

Because I had never heard of "rice sommelier", I Googled that phrase and your "rice sommelier" thread came up on top.

I do hope that your quite understandable depression is now fully cured. :biggrin:

Actually, I have a question for you. Can you clear up the question of rice grades and what is meant by "4th grade" koshihikari rice? Also, if you could provide a link in Japanese, that would be great.

I didn't find any information in English on the -kyu grading system for Japanese rice.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Actually, I have a question for you. Can you clear up the question of rice grades and what is meant by "4th grade" koshihikari rice? Also, if you could provide a link in Japanese, that would be great.

I didn't find any information in English on the -kyu grading system for Japanese rice.

Hm.............. That's strange........

You can find such websites simply by gooling 米 等級. The first one that came up was this.

We have only three grades 1 to 3... So, what did he mean by 4th grade???

• 1 month later...

Is there something about the way Japanese rice is processed that is different from how, for example, rice from Thailand or China is processed? Are there any additives that might be different?

I ask because a friend has been suffering from allergy-related hives since moving to Japan. They've been quite bad, and he hasn't been able to pinpoint which food is making him ill.

He spent a few days in Hong Kong (where he's originally from) over the holidays, and he was able to eat almost everything without a single outbreak!! The only time he had an outbreak was after visiting a sushi restaurant!! Since then, he has eliminated Japanese rice and anything made from Japanese rice from his diet, and he hasn't yet had another outbreak.

So, since he was able to eat Chinese rice (long grain) without a problem, and only has problems with short grain Japanese rice, we're trying to figure out what it is about the Japanese rice that he might be allergic to. Any ideas?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

You brought up an interesting topic, prasantrin.

I googled "okome allery" in Japanese, and found that the cases of rice allergy are increasing in number even in Japan. It seems that rice allergy is caused by allergenic proteins such as globulin, although rice breeding and the use of agriculture chemicals may also be culprits.

This is a product called A-cut gohan, which is precooked rice from which 95% of allergenic proteins have been removed.

I'm slightly allergic to rice. Japonica rice is more allergenic than indica rice, though we don't hear about this solution in the Japanese media :biggrin: . Definitely try to find low-amylopectin indica rices such as basmati or Thai rice.

It appears that japonica proteins are in some ways different from indica proteins - and I believe, also more easily absorbed by the body.

The low-amylose, high-amylopection trend in modern Japanese rice cultivars is also a problem. I hear that old cultivars with less influence from mochi rice (which has a lot of amylopectin) are less allergenic.

Apart from A-cut, there are some other less allergenic rices around, usually with numbers like Lxxxx (L for "low" protein, I think).

I deal with the problem by eating soba noodles, and grains such as barley, barnyard grass, millet etc. The itchy rash was worse for the first few years, now I can eat rice as long as I don't eat it every day...and the rash is less of a problem in cold weather.

Thanks Hiroyuki and helenjp! I've passed along the info to my friend. So far, he's still OK, and has not had another large breakout. I had been trying to get him to eliminate rice for quite some time, but he just didn't want to give it up (an Asian without rice? Impossible!). He's much happier now, knowing that it isn't all rice, just Japanese rice. He only has a few months left here, so I think he can stand going mostly riceless.

Thanks again!

I'm slightly allergic to rice. Japonica rice is more allergenic than indica rice, though we don't hear about this solution in the Japanese media :biggrin: . Definitely try to find low-amylopectin indica rices such as basmati or Thai rice.

It appears that japonica proteins are in some ways different from indica proteins - and I believe, also more easily absorbed by the body.

The low-amylose, high-amylopection trend in modern Japanese rice cultivars is also a problem. I hear that old cultivars with less influence from mochi rice (which has a lot of amylopectin) are less allergenic.

Apart from A-cut, there are some other less allergenic rices around, usually with numbers like Lxxxx (L for "low" protein, I think).

I deal with the problem by eating soba noodles, and grains such as barley, barnyard grass, millet etc. The itchy rash was worse for the first few years, now I can eat rice as long as I don't eat it every day...and the rash is less of a problem in cold weather.

Helen?

When you eat the rice you are mildly allergic to, do you become quickly addicted to it? Do you wake up the next day feeling hung over yet want more?

Anyone who is addicted to a certain food and wakes up hungover from it yet eats more without anaphylaxis is allergic.

Eating a food we are mildly allergic to causes our body to secrete endorphins to mask the discomfort (Like a TENS unit does to relieve pain) when you wake up the Endorphins are gone but the discomfort and mild exhaustion and fog has returned.

BUT instead of not wanting the offending food you crave it cause it will bring on an Endorphin rush again and so you eat it again and again and again, and the addiction has started...

Im mildly allergic to peanuts and can go on a peanut butter binge for weeks even though it makes me feel like a truck hit me, Ill STILL gorge myself on it...

I can eat a spoonful of Almond Butter and walk away...

Source of my statements above:

http://www.natural-health-journals.com/101...quals-addiction

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 2 months later...

I would like to know what brown rice you suggest ...price no object.

i want a tasty rice and i dont care what i pay....it just has to be REALLY REALLY good.

I am here in Hawaii and i think i might be able to find just about anything rice wise.

i'm trying different kinds to decide what i like most.

thanks

i want a tasty rice and i dont care what i pay....it just has to be REALLY REALLY good.

I am here in Hawaii and i think i might be able to find just about anything rice wise.

thanks

Sorry, I can't comment. Brown rice is brown rice, in my opinion. The Japanese are not very fond of brown rice, and I am no exception.

thanks

Sorry, I can't comment. Brown rice is brown rice, in my opinion. The Japanese are not very fond of brown rice, and I am no exception.

Thanks, i thought i would throw it out to see what people say. I love white rice but i eat too much of it. good brown rice, while not white rice, is a decent substitute for me.

i appreciate your reply... maybe there are others that can give me some suggestions.

Glorified Rice, I've heard about the "allergy/addiction" idea, and it certainly seems that low-level allergies are somehow different. There was a report recently on research into the food allergies that are becoming more common in Japan - soy, rice, and something else which I forget - eggs maybe? The report commented that skin tests are not a great predictor of how people react when they eat something. I felt more "awake" when I went on a "reduced starch and sugar diet" which emphasized slow-digesting starches, and suspect that in my case a lot of the improvement was due to eating hardly any rice!

Ono Loa, you don't say what kind of brown rice you want to eat! In Japan, "Milky Queen" is very close to a mochi (sticky) rice, and my family prefer it to other brown rice because it cooks up quite soft. However, if you are wanting something with more of a nutty, wild-rice taste, you should probably try a long grain.

Ono Loa,

Lundberg Farms, [California ?] has an excellent long grain brown rice.

Basmati brown rice from India also is available, and is very good, if that is your preferred type [Wegmann's sells this, and so must Indian mail order sources like Patel Bros. and Swad].

g

Glorified Rice, I've heard about the "allergy/addiction" idea, and it certainly seems that low-level allergies are somehow different. There was a report recently on research into the food allergies that are becoming more common in Japan - soy, rice, and something else which I forget - eggs maybe? The report commented that skin tests are not a great predictor of how people react when they eat something. I felt more "awake" when I went on a "reduced starch and sugar diet" which emphasized slow-digesting starches, and suspect that in my case a lot of the improvement was due to eating hardly any rice!

Ono Loa, you don't say what kind of brown rice you want to eat! In Japan, "Milky Queen" is very close to a mochi (sticky) rice, and my family prefer it to other brown rice because it cooks up quite soft. However, if you are wanting something with more of a nutty, wild-rice taste, you should probably try a long grain.

I like a chewier rice thats not so soft. i just thought there might be a particular brand that was well liked. I have eaten white rice all my life and for health reasons i am switching to brown more or less. i actually find that i like it a lot better than i thought i would. just need to find some that i like well enough to use everyday. i love good rice.

Ono Loa,

Lundberg Farms, [California ?] has an excellent long grain brown rice.

Basmati brown rice from India also is available, and is very good, if that is your preferred type [Wegmann's sells this, and so must Indian mail order sources like Patel Bros. and Swad]. 

g

I have not tired lundberg but i will look into it. brown basmati is good but i only like it with indian food. i will give it a second look though ... thanks

• 6 months later...

I did a search but didn't find anything specifically about Milky Queen except for maybe a few short blurbs. The first time I heard about it was in a Japanese manga called Oishimbo a few years back but I read that in quick passing so I don't remember any details from that. However it's been something that I've been curious about since and probably more so atm because I can't cook rice readily :P

Anyhow, I used to use akitakomachi rather blindly but switched to koshihikari when it became available. Akitakomachi was a little hard compared to koshihikari and in comparison I think the taste was more bland than koshihikari. I know rice in and of itself is rather bland lol, but I do recall that a side by side taste test, you could definitely feel the difference and taste the difference. Koshihikari appears to take on more water when cooked without getting mushy.

I was told that Milky Queen was a genetically altered version of Koshihikari but is much more flavorful...is it something that someone who enjoys koshihikari would like?

Also, does anyone know of the regulations to import rice to the US from Japan?

I haven't heard anything about Milky Queen for years! Probably it can never be popular nationwide because it's not yet widely cultivated in Japan. The same goes for Koshiibuki (a relative of Koshihikari), which is an early variety recommended by Niigata prefecture, and is almost as good as and cheaper than Koshihikari. I can get it easily because I live in Niigata, but it seems hard to come by in other areas of Japan.

Take a look at the chart here.

米の品種の作付け

面積別ランキング(2006年)

順位 米の種類(品種) 主な地域

1 コシヒカリ 日本全国

2 ヒノヒカリ 西日本

3 ひとめぼれ 東北

4 あきたこまち 東北

5 キヌヒカリ 東日本

6 はえぬき 山形

7 きらら397 北海道

8 ほしのゆめ 北海道

9 つがるロマン 青森

10 ななつぼし 北海道

Koshihikari still has the largest planting area.

As for the regulations, I hope Kristin and Jason can provide some useful info.

Importing any kind of food in quantities considered reasonable for for personal consumption is relatively uncomplicated, if a bit expensive. However, the US generally requires a prior notice filing at the FDA web site. I'm not quite sure if this has since been relaxed for personal shipments. I think Hiromi sent me something a few months ago without personally filing prior notice using the post office, but it's possible that the Japanese post office has simply streamlined that process.

If you want to import quantities suitable for resale, typically you'll need to fill up a 20 ft container, or use air freight. This is because, thanks to extra inspection risk involved in transporting food, almost no freight company is willing to do "less than container load" (LCL) shipments of food by ocean. Any one shipment in a consolidated container chosen for inspection will hold up the whole container.

All food imports are subject to review and potential inspection by the FDA, USDA and Customs. Any one, or all, of the agencies can put a hold on your shipment until they get a chance to inspect it. If they do so, you'll typically pay your shipping vendors extra storage charges.

As for tariffs and such, I think there's a duty of 1.4 cents per kilogram of rice from Japan (and most other countries). http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/duty_rates/

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please