• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sonoma Grill,  East Rutherford

ngatti

I called Peter Angelakos of Sonoma Grill and asked him if he would mind me posting some of his menu here on egullet.  He graciously said yes.  He also said that he was trying to focus on his interpretation of a northern Californian wine country cuisine.  His menu has 9 apps, 3 pastas, 1 vegan, 9 mains, 4 sides and 7 desserts.

Here are some selections.

Apps:  A Selection of Artisan Cheeses

fresh and dried fruit

Grilled Shrimp Cocktail

sugar cane skewered and accompanied by avocado salsa

Crabmeat and Corn Cobbler

shitake mushrooms, creme fraiche, white truffle oil

House Smoked Salmon Nori Roll Tempura

wasabi oil, pickled ginger, sesame-soy-garlic-dipping sauce

Mains:  Cedar-Planked Salmon Filet

chive pesto "painted" israeli couscous, spring vegetables

and red and yellow bell peper coulis

Pan -Seared Day-Boat Sea Scallops

vannilla-passion fruit beurre blanc sauce

jasmine rice & asparagus

Pistachio Crusted Rack of New Zealand Lamb

goat cheese-potato gratin, spring vegeatables

and fava bean sauce

Slow-Roasted Free Range Duck

black thai rice, spicy snow peas & ginger-cointreau sauce

Desserts: Chocolate Kaluha Fondue

fresh berries

Semifreddo Crunch

frozen gianduja & white chocolate mousse,

crunchy pistachio nougat

with butterscotch & chocolate sauces

prices range from:  apps: 6-12

mains: 18-26

pastas: 15-16

sides: 5-6

desserts: 6-7.50

This restaurant may have gotten a bad rap in the time between John Foy (previous owner) and Peter Angelakos.  But as I've said, I've heard mostly good since Peter and his brother Stavros came on board, including a recent 3 and 1/2 stars from the Bergen record.

Thanx for listening

Nick

Pt. Pleasant is Dennis Foy. Sonoma Grill was John Foy. Brothers.

Aaah, yes. Remember them from the Tarragon Tree

Thanks, Rosie

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

ignorance is no substitute for experience

oh yeah did you ramble on that Xavier's is 20 minutes from here. yes it is

now that is ignorance

That depends on where here is.

I think Tommy was posting about Xaviers Piermont, in which case  I guess Tommy could be ignorant.  Last time I ate there I made it in 15 minutes.  :wink:

Getting back on topic:  There was a significant period of time after Foy left and before Peter took over.  During that time I also heard that things had suffered.  I'm told by various sources that things are now better than ever.  But for many reasons I personally haven't been able to get there.  So all I have to offer to support my arguments is what I have previously posted.  Take it for what its worth.  I have nothing else.

Why not experience it and let us know.  In fact, let me know.  Pete expressed an interest in any feedback I could give him and was concerned when I told him about your initial post.  I thought this whole thread began when you heard that the restaurant had fallen off?  

Look, all I'm saying is that before I diss (or dish) a restaurant or Chef, I'm going to have more to back it up than something I heard.  At the very least tell us what you heard.  You may have heard correctly.  But if you're going to mention it at all,  then you owe it to the parties concerned to report it fully.

YMMV

Nick

Menu reads well. Did they spruce up the interior?

I don't know but funny you should ask, Rosie.  Back when Foy opened it the decor was the only rap that I ever recalled hearing.  Which means that I prolly would have liked it.  :biggrin:

YMMV

Nick

• 1 month later...

In the position that I am in, the challenge of pleasing every guest that comes to my restaurant is one that I take very seriously and have great pride in. It makes it especially difficult to please someone who has never dined at Sonoma Grill (ex. dodge621). Therefore it would be greatly appreciated if negative comments, if any, be reserved to the ones who have actually dined here and not to the anonymous individuals who have recklessly written comments in this forum (ex. dodge621). Thank you for your time.

Congratulations on your obvious fondness for and pride in what you do and in where you do it. Kudos.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

[: There was a significant period of time after Foy left and before Peter took over. During that time I also heard that things had suffered. ]

Peter - please read this comment by another poster. It seems that my comments were expressed in other way by someone else but you harp on my comment. Perhaps my friends were there during "that time".

Another comment was made

[ I'm told by various sources that things are now better than ever. ]

To see if others tried your place recently and to confront my own statement I wrote

if anyone hear tries it with the new chef please give a report

• 9 months later...

As someone who used to eat regularly at the Sonoma Grill and visits about two times a month now, I can attest that Peter and Stavros continue to put a good product on my plate.

They provide for me food, wine, service at a level that keeps me coming back.

It really bugs me that Zagat writes as an opening line "If you're going to a Nets or Devils game" in their review. I find it demeaning to the restaurant as a reason to eat there. At the same time for Park and Orchard (who serves glop in my opinion) Zagat writes "Most creative" as a starter. They are right down the street from Sonoma. Just as close to the meadowlands.

The new New Jersey Zagats is coming out soon. Lets see what they say.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

As someone who used to eat regularly at the Sonoma Grill and visits about two times a month now, I can attest that Peter and Stavros continue to put a good product on my plate.

They provide for me food, wine, service at a level that keeps me coming back.

It really bugs me that Zagat writes as an opening line "If you're going to a Nets or Devils game" in their review.  I find it demeaning to the restaurant as a reason to eat there.  At the same time for Park and Orchard (who serves glop in my opinion) Zagat writes "Most creative" as a starter.  They are right down the street from Sonoma.  Just as close to the meadowlands. 

The new New Jersey Zagats is coming out soon.  Lets see what they say.

What do you like to have at Sonoma Grill. Have they spruced up the place?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Since the majority of the times I am there --- it is for lunch, I have fish. I find that the scallop dishes in particular are enjoyable for first choice. Second is usually Salmon or whatever the white meat fish in season is.

Lunch entre comes with free salad, usually a mesclun type mix..

They serve a basket of crusty bread, focacchia, corn muffins, spicy jelly, herbed/spiced butter, and olive oil.

The place is spruced up, new carpet and paint in main dining room, and outside has had repair over the years.

When I have met friends there for dinner, they have always made a comment to me that they were pleasantly surprised.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

At the same time for Park and Orchard (who serves glop in my opinion) Zagat writes "Most creative" as a starter.  They are right down the street from Sonoma.  Just as close to the meadowlands. 

I've only been to Park and Orchard for lunch (once) after hearing a Manhattan based friend rave about it. I think glop just about sums it up nicely, at least for the lunch menu. It's only a five minute walk from my house but I never think to try it again (after finally trying the Village Gourmet in Rutherford again, a two minute walk from my house..... I put in the same class as P&O but at least it's moderately priced and not pretending to be anything haute.

Will havve to try Sonoma when the GF is back in town and I can justify a nice meal out.