• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bringing food to hospitals

Marlene

But I appreciate you alerting me to this Pan because in fact his white blood cell counts are way down and he's about to start a (very expensive) medication to assist with that.  So I will indeed check with the doctor first thing on Monday!

The medication is called GCSF (there are some brand names in addition) and if he is getting it, he is indeed neutropenic.

It is true that there are many different chemo protocols. Only the high dose ones produce true neutropenia (defined as ANC < .5). Other protocols may produce lowered counts, but not neutropenia.

Different hospitals may have different rules for neutropenic patients too. Sloan-Kettering is very strict, because well, they are Sloan-Kettering.

I've checked with the hospital and the dietician. There isn't anything at least right now he can't have. So last week he got spareribs and sauerkraut, butter tarts, beef stew, and McDonalds. :biggrin:

This week, I am barred from the hospital until I make sure that I haven't picked up the nasty cold my son has and is currently home from school with. When I am able to go visit him, he's asked for a prime rib dinner, chocolate cake, and turkey and cranberry sandwiches.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

When I was in the hospital for ten days a few years ago I made sure my mother-in law brought me yogurt because I was on antibiotics. I can't see why this isn't automatically given with meals because it's such a no-brainer. This was actually after I'd given birth and had suffered from nausea throughout most of my pregnancy. Once I got my appetite back I demanded my partner bring me pizza! I wanted the best pizza money could buy! I was finally HUNGARY!

My mother-in-law brought me her homemade applesauce, which was so very lovely.

It also occured to me after reading this thread that there are some good cookbooks put out by organizations who deliver meals to people living with Aids and cookbooks written with specific dietary concerns in mind.

Marlene, what you're doing-it's a mitzvah. You're a saint.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West