• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Daddy-A - Adventures in Lotus Land

Daddy-A

Is it bad form to start Foodblog admitting to be lightly intimidated? I mean, seriously, having to follow Kew & Tepee's blog is like a comic having to follow Robin Williams! I hope I am worthy. :unsure:

My name is Arne Salvesen, I'm 39 (40 in August - egads!) and live in Burnaby, BC, Canada which is the next municipality east of Vancouver - home of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games :cool: Bottom line, I'm no more than 30 minutes from downtown Vancouver.

My family consists of my two sons (who gave me the Daddy-A handle) who live with their mother in Pitt Meadows (we'll be making a trip there this week), my wife "J", and our two Jack Russel Terriers, Ringo & Gromit, who graciously allow us to share our home with them. I'll be posting dog pictures later, but in the meantime my avatar will have to suffice.

My connection to the "food" scene is completely amateur in nature. Never worked in a restaurant and have only really thought about it as a "hobby" over the last couple years. Professionaly some of you already know I am a Certified Kitchen Designer (CKD), so that is probably my closet "professional" connection. My web site is in my sig line, or you can PM if you'd like more information.

Still, one of the greatest joys I have in life is cooking for my family & friends, or enjoying a meal out in one of the most vibrant food scenes anywhere. That is what I hope to share with you this week: a small sampling on how Daddy-A cooks & eats his way through a week in Vancouver. We'll visit some of the better known places, but I hope to also introduce you to something new. Along the way we'll also meet a few of the local eGulleters, and see what I can do with my brand new Weber Smokey Mountain!

Heaven help my waistline!

A.

So, you're the famous Daddy-A, ehh?

I enjoy reading the Vancouver forum threads and the name Daddy-A keeps popping up, as though Daddy-A is as famous as Stanley Park (uhh, are you?).

I look forward to your foodblog. Thank you, Arne.

BTW, turning 40 isn't all that bad ... yet ... :unsure:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Why don't we all help you celebrate the big four zero right here in your blog?? :biggrin:

Really looking forward to some real blogging now....

Is it bad form to start Foodblog admitting to be lightly intimidated?  I mean, seriously, having to follow Kew & Tepee's blog is like a comic having to follow Robin Williams!  I hope I am worthy.  :unsure:

Um...I'll take that as a compliment. After all, Robin Williams does share his initials with our world...the Rambutan World, whatever that means.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I'm excited to be hearing from someone in my old home of Vancouver. :smile:

It's been too long since I visited, and it's such a rapidly changing place I can't imagine what its like these days.

My strongest culinary memories:

It was traditional, on my birthday, for me to have dinner with my dad at The Cannery; beautiful view of the water, with the odd seal-sighting.

The "Capers" health food store. Are they still in business?

the tall drink of water...

Thanks for the welcome everyone! The encouragement is serving me well this morning, as I didn't sleep to well last night :sad: You see ... Mr. Mooshmouse & I (aw hell, his name is Ian!) go for an extended bike ride every monday afternoon. I'm not hurting fro the ride, but rather from the fall I took in the middle of the Lions Gate Bridge [insert collective AWWWWWWW here].

Other than the fall, it was a great ride. Started at Kit's Beach, over Burrard Bridge, to Stanley Park ... through the Park to the Lion's Gate Bridge, fall ... ride up into the British Properties, across to the Cleveland Dam ... back over Lions Gate, through Stanley Park, through English Bay and back to Kits.

Did I mention the weather has been very nice lately? :cool: 17C (64F) and sunny.

Anyway, I'm a little stiff this morning. Time for breakfast:

gallery_16561_943_1185.jpg

This is the Java Altar in our home. It will be making a regular appearance at this time every day.

gallery_16561_943_10464.jpg

Guess which mug is mine, and which one is J's :blink: We re-fresh our mug supply everytime we go to Disneyland. They're looking kinda old don't you think? :laugh:

gallery_16561_943_9029.jpg

I use JJ Bean "Nero Forte" beans for my espresso. The portafilter only holds enough for a single shot, so I pull it a little long for our morning lattes. JJ Bean's newest store is on my visit list today, so more on them later.

gallery_16561_943_16657.jpg

I'm a creature of habbit. This is my breakfast 90% of the time, with the dry cereal switching between Vector, Raisin Bran or whatever looks good at Costco.

gallery_16561_943_15558.jpg

Breakfast & the morning news. First "hobbit feet" comment gets a virtual whack on the head! :angry:

More in a few ...

A.

Don't worry about your waistline at this point, just think of this as just another week. :biggrin:

That's been my problem ever since starting with eGullet!

Arne, my secret wish for a Daddy-A blog has finally been granted! 

:wub:

I enjoy reading the Vancouver forum threads and the name Daddy-A keeps popping up, as though Daddy-A is as famous as Stanley Park (uhh, are you?).

Me & Lord Stanley's Park? :laugh: My name keeps popping up because I spend way too much time here! And now I'm blogging! I have the most understanding wife ...

It was traditional, on my birthday, for me to have dinner with my dad at The Cannery; beautiful view of the water, with the odd seal-sighting.

The "Capers" health food store. Are they still in business?

I'll try to stop by The Cannery for a photo ... it's still a landmark. And yes, Capers is still around ... there's one going in just across from my office in fact.

A.

I have the exact same mugs Arne! And a few other Disney ones as well. Looking forward to this!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Did I mention the weather has been very nice lately?  :cool: 17C (64F) and sunny.

ooh, I'm so jealous! I fear this blog is just going to make me want to move out west even more (the weather, the skiing, and now I'm going to hear all about the great food … :sad:)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  The encouragement is serving me well this morning, as I didn't sleep to well last night :sad: You see ... Mr. Mooshmouse & I (aw hell, his name is Ian!) go for an extended bike ride every monday afternoon.  I'm not hurting fro the ride, but rather from the fall I took in the middle of the Lions Gate Bridge [insert collective AWWWWWWW here]. 

Other than the fall, it was a great ride.  Started at Kit's Beach, over Burrard Bridge, to Stanley Park ... through the Park to the Lion's Gate Bridge, fall ... ride up into the British Properties, across to the Cleveland Dam ... back over Lions Gate, through Stanley Park, through English Bay and back to Kits.

Anyway, I'm a little stiff this morning.

Arne, Ian said that you were a real trooper, especially considering that the fall took place at the beginning of that ride. When he said bridge deck, I winced big time. Hope you're doing okay. :unsure:

That aside, Arne's in blogland... whoohoo!!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Before I head out this morning, a few shots of the neighbourhood ... more reasons for you Easterners to feel envious :laugh:

gallery_16561_943_4550.jpg

My first pet shot ... that's Ringo on the left & Gromit on the right. This is my view most mornings, and the reason I am able to continue eating.

gallery_16561_943_11111.jpggallery_16561_943_3734.jpg

gallery_16561_943_13344.jpggallery_16561_943_12766.jpg

It's not officially Spring yet, but don't tell the gardens & trees here!

Now, off for some coffee!

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Arne, geez, that's cruel!!!! Those pics of spring...looks to me like it HAS arrived. Here in Ottawa, we still have 3 feet of snow in the back yards, so no local asparagus just yet, or local anything for that matter! Fun, fun having you blog!!

We will, of course, be taking notes of all these food places for our next visit.

Cute doggies.

D-A, it would it be possible, as you blog along, to have a little information about what a kitchen designer chooses for his own cooking environment? I for one would be interested.

In the espresso machine photo above, what material is the strip of molding along where the counter meets the backsplash? I think this intersection point can be a problematic detail in a lot of kitchens, but yours looks clean and finished.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Thanks for doing this, Daddy-A. Vancouver is one of my favorite cities in the world. It is truly a beautiful place. Stanley Park has to be one of the most spectacular pieces of real estate to remain from the British Empire. Have you ever read any of Jan Morris's pieces on Vancouver, or some of her writings as James Morris in the Pax Brittanica trilogy? I don't know of a writer that captures the spirit of the place, or "gets the hang of it," quite as well.

I have to believe that your food sources are unmatched in the world. Beyond that, some of your kitchen renovation experiences would be fun.

Blog on!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

i'm really glad to see you blogging, Daddy-A. vancouver's forum has become so active, and it really seems like a great place to eat/live. i'm looking forward to reading about daily life in the area.

thanks! :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Hooray for Daddy-A - man those pictures of spring remind me how much 6 degrees of latitude (give or take) can make - while the weather's been good here, we're still only just getting shoots & buds - although the pussy willows are well out.

Blog on!

Before I head out this morning, a few shots of the neighbourhood ... more reasons for you Easterners to feel envious  :laugh:

Hey, I'm an easterner and we've got the same weather but warmer. Oh, hold it, I'm a southeasterner. :wink:

Really looking forward to Vancouver, a very cool place in many respects.

Can you pee in the ocean?

D-A, it would it be possible, as you blog along, to have a little information about what  a kitchen designer chooses for his own cooking environment?  I for one would be interested.

Inasmuch as those details fit into the "food" aspect of the blog :blink: I'll give you a tour this evening when I cook dinner perhaps?

In the espresso machine photo above, what material is the strip of molding along where the counter meets the backsplash?  I think this intersection point can be a problematic detail in a lot of kitchens, but yours looks clean and finished.

The countertops are Corian. The "molding" to which you refer is in fact part of the countertop. My fabricator calls it "tile cove." It's like a regular seamless backsplash, but It's only about 1/4" high. Nice and clean, and keeps the inseam dry.

We'll sorta be neighbours when I move back to the west coast in June. My temporary (or possibly permanent) home will be in Coquitlam.

People leave here, but they always come back :cool:

I have to believe that your food sources are unmatched in the world. Beyond that, some of your kitchen renovation experiences would be fun.

I'll be "revealing" some local sources this evening when I post today's pictures. As for my renovation experiences ... today you wouldn't want to hear about them :angry: Let's just say I've been on my cell-phone far too often today!

i'm really glad to see you blogging, Daddy-A.  vancouver's forum has become so active, and it really seems like a great place to eat/live.  i'm looking forward to reading about daily life in the area.

Back at yah Fritz! J & I love Portland and will be down for the Brewer's Festival in July! Just hope it's not as HOT as it was last year :wacko:

A.