• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Daddy-A - Adventures in Lotus Land

Daddy-A

Your kitchen is beeyootiful, Daddy-A!  So clean-lined and livable.

Have clients ever asked about your own kitchen?

It happens all the time. And the other thing that happens is when friends have us over for dinner and I end up spending the evening talking about their kitchen! Or when my male friends learn what I do for a living they tell me to stay away from their wives lest I give them any remodeling ideas :rolleyes:

... at least I think that's why. :wink:

A.

Next in my continuing series on coffee shops I frequent, I find myself sitting in The Elysian Room (1778 West 5th Avenue @ Burrard) looking longingly out the window at the BMW dealership across the street.

gallery_16561_943_26127.jpg

I'd never have started coming here if it weren't for eGullet. Granted I had visited a couple times after a movie at the theatre around the corner, but it just wasn't on my coffee radar. Then eGullet member hopkins (Alistaire) started posting in the Coffeehouse & Cafe Reviews thread for Vancouver. He runs The Elysian Room, and really knows his stuff! But when he started posting about "crotchless" and "naked" shots, well, I had to go try for myself ...

gallery_16561_943_78521.jpg

So ... ummm ... this is breakfast today. Cappucino and a slice of Decadent Chocolate Cake. The coffee is the real deal ... shots are rich with just a hint of bitterness (which I like btw Alistaire). The Elysian Room is a little small, considering it's just around the corner from a theatre, so you might not be able to get a seat. But for coffee fanatics, it ranks a consistent top 3 in the must-visit department.

I'm currently sitting in The Elysian room ... wireless internet! I may never leave! Got some work to do for a bit, then in 30 minutes I'm off to one of the best new places in Vancouver for lunch with more eGulleters. We're everywhere!

A.

then in 30 minutes I'm off to one of the best new places in Vancouver for lunch with more eGulleters. We're everywhere!

I am sooooo jealous - I have to go to the Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival Buyers afternoon today........crowds one tenth the size of the regular nights - no people bumping into you, no one pushing past you to get their oz. of wine - what fun is that ! Only quasi civilized wine tasting !

Seriously, speaking of egulleters everywhere, there is not a day goes by that at least two are not in the restaurant - sometimes at the same time - Last night, myself and Chef Fowke, HKDave, Editor@Waiterblog, PaoPao and newbie, DiningDiva and I saw Daddy-A pressing his face up on the window in the morning - this is all on one day. I am starting to consider restraining orders.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

... What I really love is the way that same color is echoed in the patterns in your floor and also the wall tiles.  Very subtle and it gives a very tasteful playful theme to the whole kitchen. Close to neutral and classic but at the same time, very contemporary.  :smile:

yes - i totally agree. and thank you daddy-a for pointing out the tiling around the window. i love hearing about the touches that make something feel perfect, but that are so subtle as to miss notice otherwise.

amazing blog. that italian grocery?? my gawd yum. do they house-cure? i love vancouver - or as i used to call it when US exchange was more favorable to me: vanshoever.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

QUOTE(Dejah @ Mar 17 2005, 08:26 PM)

How about some Tim Horton's or Timbits, eh? wink.gif

Daddy-A

Timmy Ho's?? You know Dejah, ever since Winnipeg lost the Jets, you guys have just been mean! laugh.gif

:laugh:

Well, I'm not one for donuts anymore. We just buy TH's coffee when we can't get "others".

There's halibut on sale this week, but frozen doesn't look too appealing. Salmon fillet looked great so may do that on the grill . . . in the snow! :angry:

Love your kitchen!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

There's halibut on sale this week, but frozen doesn't look too appealing. Salmon fillet looked great so may do that on the grill . . . in the snow! :angry:

Dejah,

We're Manitobans. We're not supposed to complain about bbq'ing in the snow. Just open your garage door like I do and bbq away!

And I have to say...the one week I spent in Vancouver in Nov... happened to be the one week when the weather was better in Winter Peg :shock:

I wanna see more pictures of pretty BC :sad:

I wanna see more pictures of pretty BC  :sad:

Your wish is granted! :laugh:

gallery_16561_943_212669.jpg

gallery_16561_943_757903.jpg

This is the Fisherman's Warf area .... just off Granville Island. At the end of the warf in the right picture is the Fisherman's Market. Just about any in-season fish is available ... and of course the obligatory BC smoked salmon. We're down here for lunch ...

gallery_16561_943_31057.jpg

This is Go Fish!, Gord Martin's (of Bin 941/942 fame) foray into the world of fish & chips. All seafood is sourced from the local fishers, so many of the menu items are seasonal. Last summer I had an amazing chowder made with local mussels. Today's chowder:

gallery_16561_943_77557.jpg

Chipotle/Coconut milk Fish chowder (I believe the fish was snapper). I come here quite often for the soups alone ... creamy with a nice heat. Perfect for a cool Vancouver day ... about 6 or 7 degrees Celcius.

I was joined by several local eGulleters, so we have a nice variety of meals to show you:

gallery_16561_943_114081.jpg

gallery_16561_943_24676.jpg

Left: Grilled spring salmon with spring greens (my lunch), Right: The best damn Fish & Chips in Vancouver. Coleslaw is amazing too!

gallery_16561_943_109536.jpg

gallery_16561_943_118684.jpg

Left: Oyster Po' Boy Sandwich, Right: Grilled Salmon Sandwich.

gallery_16561_943_144565.jpg

6 people who are able to sneak away from work to enjoy a really great lunch!From left to right: Lorna (Ling), Ian (Mooshmouse's hubby), Lee (Vancouver Lee), Joie (Mooshmouse), MY BEST FRIEND TRICIA (Peppyre), Kirsten (Butter).

So what do a group of Vancouver eGulleters do after a big lunch?? Look for dessert of course! On today's menu:

gallery_16561_943_38048.jpg

Patisserie LeBeau serves up some of the best Belgian pastries anywhere, but it's their waffles they're most famous for.

gallery_16561_943_104675.jpg

I picked up a couple stuffed waffles (rice pudding & spiced apple) and a couple flavoured waffles (chocolate chip & white chocolate w/ almond). No pictures right now ... we'll be enjoying those for breakfast!

The other reason for visiting LeBeau ... they're right beside Les Amis du Fromage. That visit on the next installment of Foodblog!

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Blame it on the coffee!

A valid statement. You were virtually pinging after lunch today... hate to see the after-effects of that final macchiato. :hmmm::laugh:

Excellent soup, as always. Absolutely loved the Oyster Po'Boy. Now my favourite thing on the menu.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Man... Vancouverites sure know how to eat! Am enjoying this blog immensely, btw.

Daddy-A, your enthusiasm for coffee had me craving the stuff. I hardly ever drink coffee -- can't take the caffeine -- but I found myself enjoying a half-caf half-decaf today.

Blog on!

Edited by Laksa (log)

That Chipotle/coconut milk fish chowder looks great! What are the greens toward the side of the little bowl?

They use a fair amount of cilantro, but the greens you are talking about are pea sprouts.

You're right about the soup ... I had tried the soup on 4 separate visits before I even ordered the fish and chips!

A.

Can you tell me the name of the little sprouts in the chowder and the grilled spring salmon.

I had them in England and loved them...haven't seen them around here. Are they mustard sprouts? I like them because they are more "substantial" then alfalfa, onion, etc. Love them in sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc.

Pam, I wasn't complaining about BBQ in the snow, I was sorta bragging that we are a tough lot here in Manitoba! :wink::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Just down the street from LeBeau is a tiny little shop called Les Amis du Fromage (who IMO win the award for the best domain name ever - buycheese.com :laugh: ) Run by the mother-daughter team of Alice and Allison Spurrell, Les Amis is a little corner of cheese heaven at the corner of Burrard and West 2nd Ave.

gallery_16561_943_137939.jpg

What I like best about Les Amis, beside the cheese :rolleyes: is the fact that the staff is so knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge with you. I love cheese, but I know bugger all about it.

gallery_16561_943_154759.jpg

Display cases of wheels of cheese. If you check the web site you can get a good idea of the cheeses they carry on a regular basis (Neils Yard is one of our faves), as well as other products like fois gras, olive oil, balsamic, and of course crackers Gromit!

gallery_16561_943_55017.jpg

Another cooler of pre-cut and packaged cheeses, along with other items.

gallery_16561_943_47237.jpg

Oils & vinegars ... not as big a selection as Cioffi's, but some of the better and slightly more expensive ones to be sure.

My cheese selections today were: L'Edel du Cleron, Cantal and Fourme d'Ambert (the last two being from the same region ... learned something new today!)

A.

We're checked into the hotel now. I had to run down to the car to get the cable to hook the laptop up to the hotel network ($15 for 12 hours!!), and when I returned, I found this:

gallery_16561_943_110543.jpg

"J" had set out the snacks we brought ... the cheese from Les Amis and the eggplant, tapenade and grilled artichokes from Cioffi's. But wait? What do I see? The artichokes have been consumed already! :angry::wink: Somebody hasn't been running around Vancouver eating for the amusement of eGulleters! :laugh:

gallery_16561_943_86676.jpg

gallery_16561_943_79704.jpg

Some of the view from our room at the Pan Pacific. The first shows the heliport for Helijet Airways ... flights to Victoria. The second is towards False Creek. Just behing the green roof in the middle (The old Vancouver Sun building) is the dome at Science World which some of you may remember from Expo 86.

gallery_16561_943_64519.jpg

The Sea Bus coming in from North Vancouver.

gallery_16561_943_72799.jpg

Our substitute pet for the weekend. I think we'll call him Salty. No worries, Ringo and Gromit are being looked after by my father!

So we're off to the Wine Festival in a few hours. I somehow doubt I'll be posting again until tomorrow, but you never know. Somebody has asked me for an inebriated post, so I may oblidge :shock::laugh:

Cheers!

A.