• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Daddy-A - Adventures in Lotus Land

Daddy-A

I-yie-yie, the granville island shots are making me homesick...Lots of memories.

:biggrin:

Also, I must mention that your 'doggies in raincoats' photo is so damn cute. How old are the little guys?

What month do the blackberries come out? When I was little, my parents and I would pick them 'in the wild' in West Van. I'm hazy on the timing.

There's a fantastic downtown sushi place my friend took me to once when I came back to visit....I'm racking my brain on the name, as I'd highly reccommend it if you are not otherwise acquainted with it. It was below street level and had the rotating tabletop (whatever on earth that is called) with various dishes to choose from at the bar. What was remarkable was I had the yummiest raw oysters there. I'm pretty sure it was around the Robson area. I'll see if she remembers the name.

I'm very much enjoying this, the pictures are great. :wub:

the tall drink of water...

There's a fantastic downtown sushi place my friend took me to once when I came back to visit....I'm racking my brain on the name, as I'd highly reccommend it if you are not otherwise acquainted with it. It was below street level and had the rotating tabletop (whatever on earth that is called) with various dishes to choose from at the bar. What was remarkable was I had the yummiest raw oysters there. I'm pretty sure it was around the Robson area. I'll see if she remembers the name.

I'm very much enjoying this, the pictures are great. :wub:

Pretty sure you're talking about Ichibankan on Thurlow, they have a floating conveyor belt thing, my brain isn't functioning yet today :raz:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Deborah, you're right. I was just waiting until I had some more coffee before posting. They have great sushi, but there are so many great places for sushi, I haven't been in years.

Arne, dinner looked fantastic.

Arne, Atualfo Mangoes are in town right now. I bought some yesterday at Kin's Farm Market in City Square. $4.40 for 5. These are the real deal....they are like the ones that come from the phillipines, (I think that these are from Mexico) are very sweet and have a floral note to them. I wait all year for these to be in season!

To answer a question above: Blackberries don't start until August. (My favourite month of the year! Blackberries, tomatoes, corn and peaches all in season at the same time!) :biggrin:

The picture of Dave packing halibut made me do a bit of a double-take. Looked like my brother for a second even though my brother is a bit darker. My brother worked at The Salmon Shop, Lonsdale Quay for a few years. The pictures from Duso's also made me even more eager to get home. I used to pick up freshly baked foccacia, a couple of bocconcini and sometimes some olives whenever I missed my connecting bus as Lonsdale Quay. Not Duso's at LQ now though and the items didn't seem to taste as good in the new shop.

Looks like you won the raincoat wrestling match this morning... thanks for including the requested doggy raincoat photos Arne! :biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Raincoats on dogs very impressive. I can't even get my kids to wear them, though those darn opposable thumbs are probably an issue in our case.

Great blog. Very nostalgic for the Granville Market, not so much for the food (though that's great) as for the setting.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Love the raincoats!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  I wish I could get my 3 to wear them when it's wet but as there are 2 golden retrievers and 1 german sheppard they either don't make them that large, or the boys tear them off immediately so as not to look too sissy-like.
Raincoats on dogs very impressive. I can't even get my kids to wear them, though those darn opposable thumbs are probably an issue in our case.
Looks like you won the raincoat wrestling match this morning... thanks for including the requested doggy raincoat photos Arne!  :biggrin:
Also, I must mention that your 'doggies in raincoats' photo is so damn cute. How old are the little guys?

Ringo (black & white - male) runs and hides when he sees the raincoats coming out! Wimp! Believe me, if they could, they'd tear the coats to shreds!

Ringo is 8 and is the father of Gromit, who is a little older than 4.

Arne, Atualfo Mangoes are in town right now.  I bought some yesterday at Kin's Farm Market in City Square.  $4.40 for 5.

<SNIP>

To answer a question above:  Blackberries don't start until August. (My favourite month of the year!  Blackberries, tomatoes, corn and peaches all in season at the same time!) :biggrin:

That's what I love about our local eGulleters ... always there to help! Thanks Irishgirl! I'll go mango shopping tomorrow ... City Square is just down the street from my office.

The picture of Dave packing halibut made me do a bit of a double-take. Looked like my brother for a second even though my brother is a bit darker. My brother worked at The Salmon Shop, Lonsdale Quay for a few years.

Ask your brother if he knows Malcom "Magic" McMillan. Malcolm was one of the managers at Longliner when I was there. He left to work at the Lonsdale Quay when Longliner opened there, and then later went to The Salmon Shop.. He now owns his own shop in Port Moody - Newport Village.

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback!

A.

A quick blog entry before I go to see my kids ...

In preparation for lunch today, I promised nwyles (Neil Wyles of Hamilton Street Grill fame :smile: ) I'd pick up some Dark Russian Rye from a small bakery in South Burnaby.

It's called "Red Square", and its founder, Russian ex-pat Mark Tsemak, is a firm believer in the philosphy of living right through healthy eating. His website gives all the sorted details, but suffice to say, to Mark, flax is king!

gallery_16561_943_138234.jpggallery_16561_943_19629.jpg

He sells over 80 different products, including vereneki, piroshki, breads, kilbasa, flax cereal, breads ... but the best thing he carries is the Red Square Flax cookies. IIRC he told me he has over 16 different varieties, and is just in negotiations to have them distributed through Whole Foods (you can already find them at the WF in West Vancouver).

gallery_16561_943_86319.jpg

Here's the man himself ... kinda like a Siberian Tom Vu. His energy level is incredible! Once I told him why I wanted to take his picture, he insisted on giving me a tour of his plant, and the "lounge" where he entertains clients (essentially a pool room with a big screen TV :laugh: ). We shared a vodka (at 9 in the morning!) and he told me of his plans for world domination through flax.

Try the cookies if you find them ... they're really tasty.

A.

Next stop was in West Vancouver to see a couple clients. One lives just above an area of West Vancouver known as Dundarave.

gallery_16561_943_129233.jpg

It's a quiet little collection of shops and restaurants about two blocks long. A couple of our local eGulleters live around here, so I'll let them fill in details if they like. My purpose was COFFEE:

gallery_16561_943_27922.jpggallery_16561_943_66572.jpg

Delaney's has 3 locations in the Lower Mainland of which I am aware. The others are in Edgemont Village (North Vancouver) and on Denman Street in the West End (Vancouver). Nothing amazing. Consistently average ... but the extra shot is always free. I needed it this morning!

A couple more clients, then it's lunch! That plus dinner with the kids will be posted this evening ... thanks for your patience.

***NEWSFLASH***

Just got word from my beautiful wife "J" that there will be a hockey game in this blog! How's that for Canadian Content??

A.

Last summer we spent several days on Granville Island, in the nice (and too expensive) hotel there to celebrate our anniversary. I'll tell you, walking out the door and into the Granville Market for breakfast was almost as good as being in Paris. We had coffee each morning from the little JJ Beans there, and it was excellent coffee, with super-nice people who remembered us by the third day. The food, the fruit and flowers, it was all glorious. I recommend staying there, to any eGer who's headed north. It's a foodie paradise, that little island.

Hey, I love that Neus olive oil too!

Next stop was in West Vancouver to see a couple clients.  One lives just above an area of West Vancouver known as Dundarave.gallery_16561_943_129233.jpg

okay, it should be the sushi or coffee descriptions that catch my attention but i see this photo and i see FLOWERS. You mean to tell me that you're further north than I am (Boston MA) and you have daffodils already? Where's the snow? I have plenty in my front yard if you need some.

Yaletown.

People that live in Vancouver seem to either love this district it or hate it. Over the past 10 years or so Yaletown has become the place to be, and be seen. Downtown loft-living, trendy boutiques, and chic restaurants are everywhere. In my line of work, some of the best cabinet companies have showrooms there ... with price tags to reflect their overhead!

One store that stands out for me is Barbara-Jo's Books to Cooks.

gallery_16561_943_28447.jpg

Further to our coveration on culinary tipping points, this store provided me with one of mine. About 7 years ago I was shopping for a gift, and Barbara-Jo suggested I purchase something for myself as well. It was a copy of A. J. Liebling's Between Meals. My life hasn't been the same since reading that book ... nor has my girth! :laugh: I'm sorry if this comes off sounding like a plug, but I have met very few people with as much knowledge and passion for their work as Barbara-Jo.

Yet, as trendy as some may say Yaletown is, ask anyone in the Vancouver forum where to eat when you come to town, and at least a couple recs will be in Yaletown. The food here is really amazing. For lunch today, it had to be "The Hammie"

gallery_16561_943_25829.jpg

For those who don't already know, the Hamilton Street Grill is owned by eGullet member nwyles (Neil Wyles). It was home to The Big Night where many Vancouver eGulleters met for the first time, and is where many of us get our fix of gingerbread and hanger steak. The HSG was also where I had my first taste of the results of Chef Fowke's Great Pastrami/Smoked Meat Experiment. (That thread is legendary btw ... read it when you have a chance). The pastrami was what I was after today:

gallery_16561_943_89360.jpg

Those of you with great memories will recall the bread being from Red Square. The fries are Neil's wonderful yam fries, that's chipotle mayo on the right ... and the salad in the back? Inconseqential. :laugh: The pastrami had just the right amount of fat in it ... enough to keep the meat moist, but not so much as to distract from the seasoning and texture of the meat. Don't be looking for this on the menu though. You gotta know da man :cool:

I don't normally have dessert at lunch. But today, for you my eGullet friends, I took one for the team:

gallery_16561_943_80772.jpg

This is not, as I said earlier, what gingerbread wants to be when it grows up ...

This is what happens when gingerbread goes to Heaven!

How was that Neil?? :wink:

If you ask nice, Neil may post the recipe ... but if you make it at home, it won't be the same, unless you get the ice cream recipe too :raz: The ginger & pumpkin (one scoop of each) ice cream provides perfect relief from the richness of the gingerbread. Truly awesome ... and cause for a nap (if only I had time :sad: )

gallery_16561_943_10951.jpg

Your gracious host, Chef Neil Wyles (now get the hell outta my kitchen!).

A.

You mean to tell me that you're further north than I am (Boston MA) and you have daffodils already? Where's the snow? I have plenty in my front yard if you need some.

If you really want to get uptight over something, go back to the beginning of this thread. We've got cherry blossoms as well!

We did get some hail this afternoon if that helps. :raz:

A.

I am the proud father of two sons. Matthew is 13 and Ryan is 11. They live with their mother in Pitt Meadows which is about a 30 minute drive east of our house. They are probably the biggest reason I discovered cooking. Before I met "J", cooking for them was the closest thing I had to looking after someone. While I don't get to see them as much as I like, I see them as much as I can.

Wednesday is typically father-son day. We'll go swimming and then out for dinner somewhere ... catch up on stuff.

Me: So what did you guys do at school this week?

Boys: (in unison) Nuthin'

We're very close :rolleyes:

Today Matthew had Rugby practice, so Ryan and I went to watch:

gallery_16561_943_273.jpggallery_16561_943_122995.jpg

Ryan's sign says "Go Matt!".

Of course after a hard afternoon of rugby, a kid's gotta eat right? Tonight will be my one "lazy night" when it comes to dinner.

gallery_16561_943_34221.jpggallery_16561_943_69137.jpg

Tonight's selections were Roasted Chicken, Sweet Onion Teryaki and the Classic BMT. We had cookies for dessert. Of course the big thrill for the boys was being a part of the foodblog. Look how nicely they posed for me:

gallery_16561_943_99644.jpggallery_16561_943_3528.jpg

Like I said, we're close.

Tomorrow we'll stay a little closer to home and visit some of our local faves in Burnaby.

A.

gallery_16561_943_80772.jpg

That looks amazing. Thanks for making the sacrifice of eating dessert. :raz:

Neil, would you please share your recipe??? Pretty please? And for the ice cream, too? I love the idea of pumpkin ice cream.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Great blog Daddy-A! Even though I live here, it's always nice to see the place through someone else’s eyes. :biggrin:

Oh, and as an aside, I too can confirm the yummy goodness of the gingerbread pudding :wub: I think that Neil is going for world domination via g-bread pudding.... and he just might get it!

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Poor Neil, he's now going to be inundated with eGulleters from all over. It's bad enough that on given day there is at least one Gulleter looking for Gingerbread.

I have some in my fridge at this very moment. :wub:

That pastrami.......Oh...looks so good.....

So what's for dinner? Any hints about food plans for tomorrow?

Oh Arne, and Neil!!!

I, too, would love the recipe for that dessert, including the recipe for the two ice-creams. Wow!!!

Arne, you're a true blogger, ordering dessert for us...! :wink:

Am really enjoying this blog! Now, what's on for tonight??? Do you and your wife both share cooking or is that your area?

Edited by Safran (log)

***NEWSFLASH***

Just got word from my beautiful wife "J" that there will be a hockey game in this blog!  How's that for Canadian Content??

Hockey, beer, yeah, that's Canadian Content. But what about something really Canadian? Like curling. :wink:

Can you pee in the ocean?

Neil, would you please share your recipe???  Pretty please?  And for the ice cream, too?  I love the idea of pumpkin ice cream.
Oh Arne, and Neil!!!

I, too, would love the recipe for that dessert, including the recipe for the two ice-creams.  Wow!!!

Arne, you're a true blogger, ordering dessert for us...! :wink:

Am really enjoying this blog!  Now, what's on for tonight???  Do you and your wife both share cooking or is that your area?

I'll leave the recipe issue up to Neil. We may have to wait for RecipeGullet to get back on-line.

As to the cooking ... it often depends on who gets home first. I'd say we're about 50/50 except on weekend where we have the kids. Then I tend to do more of the cooking. This week is also an exception. Tuesdays & Thursdays I get home late from work so "J" usually cooks, but because I'm blogging I've taken that job this week.

Hockey, beer, yeah, that's Canadian Content. But what about something really Canadian? Like curling.  :wink:

The World Championships are in Victoria, BC ... next week I think? Besides, curlers drink more than they eat :laugh:

A.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'm afraid that's about as Irish as I'm going to get today. Long gone are the days where I can sit my ass down in a pub on St. Patty's Day and drink away the afternoon. However there will be an Irish Stout at dinner tonight :biggrin:

gallery_16561_943_1185.jpg

All hail the Altar of Java! (Do I detect a pattern here?) I did break with routine this morning outside of our standard coffee. Every now and then I get the urge for poached eggs, and thanks to eGullet I have perfected the technique and have been able to bannish that damned poaching pan to the Garage Sale pile forever!

gallery_16561_943_31220.jpg

This will be as close to a kitchen shot as I'll do in this blog ... need to keep things on topic you know! :wink: I promise I'll get a full set of pictures up in another thread. The range is the Dacor Preference Dual-Fuel ... a step below Marlene's new range :angry: ! Cabinets are a laminate called "Tawny Satinwood" ... very durable and easy to clean ... countertops are Corian "Tumbled Glass" ... flooring is Forbo Marmoleum.

gallery_16561_943_89701.jpg

Two farm-fresh eggs from Avalon Dairy... a local farm right in the middle of the city. Very cool. Eggs are free-range & organic ...

gallery_16561_943_48861.jpg

... and taste fantastic on top of some left-over baguette, camembert and a little dijon. Fans of Ringo & Gromit will be glad to know they got a taste for their breakfast :biggrin:

Weather today is supposed to be a mixed bag, but this morning it wasn't raining, so I stepped out onto the back pation to show you the view:

gallery_16561_943_845498.jpg

This is looking south from just below the Capitol Hill area of Burnaby. The towers you see on the horizon on the right are part of the Metrotown complex. Essentially, shopping mall, office towers, and chain restaurants. It's Burnaby's version of "downtown."

Today I'm off to The Heights to pick up some snacks for something special we'll be doing tomorrow night.

A.

Daddy-A; great foodblog:

Two farm-fresh eggs from Avalon Dairy... a local farm right in the middle of the city. Very cool. Eggs are free-range & organic ...

If I may add one of only three independent dairies left in BC and the oldest independent dairy in BC. Go Avalon!!! :wub:

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Time to catch up ...

My coffee stop this morning was the subject of one of my first posts on eGullet.

gallery_16561_943_61237.jpg

Il Pappagallo Cafe is our "local" and serves really good espresso. Honestly the coffee isn't why we go there, although it is really good ... it's the owner and his family and the way they make us feel at home.

gallery_16561_943_16459.jpg

Pat and his family have been running Pappagallo for alomst 15 years now. They were in a neighbouring strip mall until about 2 years ago when *$'s decided they wanted into the mall, and they forced Pat out. Luckily Pat has made many many friends in the community and soon had a new space to lease. The funny thing about it all is that the majority of Pat's regulars from the mall now make the trek across the street to his new location rather than support the Green machine.

You may have noticed the sign that boasts "The Ultimate Cheesecakes." When I explained to Pat why I was taking the picture, he insisted on showing off:

gallery_16561_943_109675.jpg

Guess what we're having for dessert! :wub: I don't know what qualifies as "ultimate" in the cheesecake department, but my guess is that this is pretty damn close.

A.