• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waterfront/view dining

So I'm having a number of friends and relatives visit this summer; most are from the midwest and none are "foodies." I'm planning ahead and trying to think of the best waterfront or view spots to take them. I'm especially trying to think of moderately priced places as I can't afford to treat everyone everytime and don't want to take friends someplace they can't afford (ie Ray's Boathouse).

So far I have come up with Ray's Cafe, which doesn't blow me away (it will be fine for my friends, though) but is reasonably priced and has that great deck. I read a decent review of the Bluwater at Leschi, so that sounds like an option. But what else? I hear Elliott's is only good for the oysters. I've never been too impressed with Anthony's but maybe their cafe at Bell St. is good? Is there still that little cafe under Palisade that serves decent breakfasts and lunch?

And what about places in the Market like Lowell's or the Athenian? I've always heard they were not good but it's been a while.

I think Maggie Bluff's is still open (under Palisades).

Rays cafe is good for lunch but I think dinner there is a waste of money.

something fun might be Aqua Verde in the U Dist.

I have friends (non foodies) who like Lowell's. I like Maximillien and think their prices are very good.

What about Ivars (the restaurant not the stand)?

you've brought up a huge pet peeve of mine about seattle...i understand that waterfront dining is often expensive...but so much of it is mediocre. that steams me.

i'll offer a couple of WS suggestions...

though the food is mediocre, people seem to like dukes on alki. the deck is great, and i'd happily sit on the deck for drinks and an appetizer or for lunch in the summer.

i've been wanting to take the water taxi forever and i've heard the fish and chips shack right by the taxi is good.

la rustica is across the street from the water, but in summer it's really nice to have dinner and then walk along the water at sunset.

is lowells the place in the market with the upstairs section and the downstairs? it's an institution, but i don't get it. it's not bad, but it's basically diner food. there's much better food to be had in the market. with a view (in addition to wendy's maxmillien suggestion) i nominate matt's for lunch.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

is lowells the place in the market with the upstairs section and the downstairs? it's an institution, but i don't get it. it's not bad, but it's basically diner food. there's much better food to be had in the market. with a view (in addition to wendy's maxmillien suggestion) i nominate matt's for lunch.

Definitely make sure you have reservations for Matt's at lunchtime -- or you may end up with a view of the counter.

I always liked having a few cocktails at Lowell's just because of the crowd that hangs in the bar there. I only ate there once... and I plan to keep it that way.

you've brought up a huge pet peeve of mine about seattle

It's pissing me off. too. I mean, why does the Pink Door have to be so mediocre? Why does Azteca have that big space at Shilshole? Why are all those south Lake Union restaurants bad chains? etc etc.

I love Matt's but unfortunately some of my pickier friends may not find something they will eat on that small menu.

I wonder if Lowell's or the Athenian are okay for breakfast.

Amen to what Reesek and kiliki said about the dearth of quality food with a view. I've in the past had lunch at Lowell's but the view isn't worth spending over $10 on fish 'n' chips and a drink. Better off forgetting about the view and sitting across the corridor at Market Grill for a superior fresh grilled halibut or salmon sandwich.

Unfortunately, it seems that, in Seattle at least, all too often you pay for the view in loss of food quality or value. It's a shame.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

I wonder if Lowell's or the Athenian are okay for breakfast.

If all breakfast must be of Cafe Campagne caliber or more, then no, Lowell's isn't going to cut it.

But if you're hankering for a diner breakfast with the requisite white toast, jelly in blister packs, decades old clientele and PNW touches (crab cakes benedict and such), then I think it suits. I like going there for breakfast but I also get cravings for AM Heart Attack On A Plate every now and then. Not something to do regularly, but fun when the mood strikes. Plus I like the vibe there, as well as the seagulls with Hope Springs Eternal written all over their faces as they perch on the window sills.

If your friends aren't foodies, I think they'll be fine. Plus the staff are used to tourists. You're probably going to have to give some slack here with regard to finding something affordable and appealing to non-foodies. :wink:

I don't like The Athenian at all. I've been there for breakfast three times and each time the food had that muddy We-Cook-Everything-In-The-Same-Pan-With-The-Same-Spatula taste and appearance.

You could also do stuff like get kebabs from Mr. D's or Turkish Delight, or piroshkys from the Russian place, and go walking by the water. Many non-foodies wouldn't resist roasting meats and eggy buttery stuffed things.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

You could also do stuff like get kebabs from Mr. D's or Turkish Delight, or piroshkys from the Russian place, and go walking by the water. Many non-foodies wouldn't resist roasting meats and eggy buttery stuffed things.

Pat

Very good point -- I get something from D's or TD and meander throughout that area about once a week. The food is decent to good, and if you can't find a good view out there walking around, well, something's wrong. (Of course this only works if the weather is nice.) The one thing that stinks about this option is that if you go to the little park there on the NW end of the Market, you could be eating your meal with some... well, unsavory folks.

After thinking about this more, I might recommend the Alibi Room: good, approachable and reasonably priced food, nice view, cocktails, and hit-or-miss service. Obviously it's not right on the water, but slipping into a place under the Market like that can be a pretty neat first time experience.

I'm okay with Anthony's Bell Street Diner because I've accepted that it is what it is, a moderately priced seafood place on the water with nothing objectionable about the food or service I'm just never going to be blown away by it. The view though is nice and the large amounts of outdoor seating available is a definite bonus when you have a group in town. Having said that, there's always the picnic route also, whether you go through the Market and assemble a basket or bags :biggrin: of food, or you order from someplace like Boat Street Kitchen and have box lunches made up and just go to the water and hang out. There's also the idea floated above of going to Alki. Only I would say, don't have any one place in mind, just let your fancy take you. Myself I'd go for Sunfish and sit outside. Just my two cents.

Rocky

I'd take Sound View Cafe in the Market over Lowell's - but the food isn't much either. I tried both this past fall, looking for breakfast with a view. The company was more fun at Lowell's. The food at Sound View (not such a hippie place anymore) is quite fresh, just lacking in flavor (how do they do that?)

Go down the hillclimb and pick up lunch from The Spanish Table (and visit the spice merchant), or across the street, get a nice lunch from Sestos and walk on down to the waterfront. Coming back up, you can get gelato. Or the Mexican (pig) place on the hillclimb has some view seats. Also the Japanese place on Harbor Steps.

Go to Essential in Wallingford and take lunch to Gasworks. Go to Fremont and enjoy the canal. Go to Ballard and eat fish and chips at the locks.

Seattle + summer + food = dining outdoors. Invest in a nice picnic set (a basket or backpack with real plates, silverwear, glasses, cloth napkins...) and you'll be a star with your visitors.

Hey, walk on with them on the Bainbridge ferry, browse around town for a couple of hours, then eat at Bainbridge Thai or the Pub for good food with great water views. Ususally you can eat outside at both places, and you're right on the water.

I don't like The Athenian at all. I've been there for breakfast three times and each time the food had that muddy We-Cook-Everything-In-The-Same-Pan-With-The-Same-Spatula taste and appearance.

I agree with you. I've eaten there probably even more than 3x, but there is something not right about the food. It just doesn't taste good, at all. No matter what I order, it all tastes bad.

Which is too bad, because I think the place has a fabulous vibe.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Another fun non-foodie place to take out of towners is Chinooks at Fisherman's Terminal. It's interesting to watch the fishing boats while you eat.

I agree, Chinooks has solid, well-prepared seafood and non-foodie out-of-towners (read family) usually love it. I always enjoy their steamed mussels and clams and the oysters are usually good and fresh.

I've never tried their brunch, but we often take folks there for a late lunch after a brisk walk at Discovery Park (one of the best views in Seattle IMHO).

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Chinook's is good basic food (nothing fancy here!), with that really good chocolate cake for dessert, and the terrific veiw of the fishing boats.

FYI: Azteca at Shilshole shut down last year. Guess the nasty food wasn't compensation for the veiw.

My out of town non-foodie guests are usually really happy with the Happy Hour (4-6, I think) at Anthony's, Shilshole. Great deck, 1/2 price apps (clams, mussels, shrimp, etc.... nothing too strenuous for the kitchen) and decent brews and wines. I wouldn't eat dinner there, but munchies and a drink hit the spot. Then you can go for a walk at Golden Gardens, and have an ice cream at the burger joint. :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

How could I have forgotten Chinook's? It's been a family comprimise spot for years. Thanks. Also thanks for the Anthony's happy hour tip...Ray's doesn't let you sit outside for happy hour so it's nice to know Anthony's does.

The frustrating thing about Lowell's is that if the food was good, the place would be great, if that makes sense. Instead it blows.

Chinooks is a great Seattle experience, I used to go there all the time for brunch when I lived in Ballard, but the food is only so-so.

How about the Eastlake Bar and Grill? I haven't been there since it became the EB&G, but back when it was Sam's they had a great happy hour and a nice view.

I would definitely give Vivanda a try. The food is lovely, the view is perfect, plus, you can wander Pike Place before or after.

And, if view is not your main concern, I'd head to the ID. Ours can't hold a candle to Oakland, San Fran, or New York, true....but it would be a real treat for most Midwesterners. Give the folks some culture!!

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

I recently tried Ponti's happy hour and really liked it. If you get there by 5pm you can

snag a window seat. They have two menus for the bar a 1/2 off appetizer menu and a small

lounge menu. We had the hamburger off of the appetizer menu and the calamari both were

good.

Cheers-