• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best waterfront dining in BC

Andrew Morrison

living in a city dotted with high calibre waterfront restaurants, how do they fare in relation to each other?

which ones are tops and which ones lag behind?

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

living in a city dotted with high calibre waterfront restaurants, how do they fare in relation to each other?

which ones are tops and which ones lag behind?

Hey ed. , this looks like a research project ! It would appear that it is a thinnly veiled attempt to pump the egullet community for info. Say it isn't so !

You wouldn't be trying to fill up waiterblog with egulletisms would you ?

I read the whole site the other night and all of the restaurants have no comments - are looking to fill that up from the mighty gullet ? What is this really about ? Are you trying to get someone to slag a restaurant or are you trying to get an egulleter professional to "out" themselves by their response ?

N

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

woah neil!

i'm sorry to you and all the rest of the community if i've given the impression that i'm pumping you or the community at large for info. i ask not for the sake of waiterblog or any other reason. i'm just trying to participate as a member of eGullet. that is, presumably for the same reasons you are.

waiterblog is being developed to promote a sense of community in a province of restaurants that practises little love, respect, or knowledge of eachother in comparison to say, ontario, or better yet - france. we're about good things, not theft.

my forays here on eGullet are totally unrelated and personal, on my oath to bacchus. i hope you can respect that and that you do believe me.

waiterblog isn't public until january so i'd expect the comment threads to be bare, even though they certainly are not (that's pride of parent, there). moreover, it's non-profit.

my participation here on eGullet is completely without ulterior design. i like being here and subterfuge just isn't my style.

beyond that, i'd still love to have an answer to the question: what are the best waterfront restaurants in b.c.

to consider that your answers would somehow show up on waiterblog is to suggest i'm a parasitic jackass, which (i can assure you) i certainly am not.

i'm just a waiter, neil. like the guys who work for you.

ed.

Andrew Morrison

Best waterfront restaurants in BC?

Hmmm...well it will be no surprise to those of you here that "know" me that I am hopelessly biased in favour of Tofino...now if could only win that lotto....

As a result, without a doubt, my first choice would be the Wickininnish Inn's Pointe. Good weather, bad weather, breakfast, lunch or early evening prior to or during the sunset before darkness falls...breathtaking views and sounds [especially with the new system that was being installed during our visit in the Fall]...and after some "sliding" the food has improved as well...excellent wine list...knowledgeable staff...no "attitude"...again, I'll keep buying those lotto tickets...

Just down the coast past Rosie's Bay you then have the Long Beach Lodge Resort...different look than the Wick's Chesterman Beach views...waves rolling toward you from Cox Bay...food?...can be "spotty"...wine?...first place I had Note Bene by the glass...

Have not been in years as we usually venture west in the Fall after it has closed for the season but we did enjoy the fare and spectacular views afforded Wickaninnish Beach from the restaurant in the Parks Canada interpretative centre. Remember vividly watching an eagle dive into the surf and then, in effect, "swim" to a rock where it pulled the catch clutched in its talons and had dinner while the human diners rushed to the balcony or closest windows.

Not exactly waterfront but with a spectacular water related view...The Aerie...only were there the one time during a visit to Victoria after being in Tofino...met current poster and former Edmontonian James Kendall [missed you at the JPL in the Spring James...I commented to my wife that there were a lot of good Cdn. wines in the revised wine list with a surprising number of hard to find ones like Venturi-Schulze and then I spied your name...maybe we'll see you in a few months when we have to get away from an Albertan winter despite the '82 Petrus flowing from our faucets]...outstanding food, nice bottle of striped label Blue Mountain pinot gris...sat and relaxed and enjoyed the sky constantly changing with different shades of pastel over the fjord below...only drawback, driving my way back down the Malahat in the inky black darkness...

In Victoria we have enjoyed the food, wine and marina views from the Coast Hotel's restaurant..the Blue Crab I think....nice ales out on the Spinnaker's balcony watching the seaplanes land on the inner harbour....glasses of wine from one of Canoe's upper windows which provides you with a view of the water taxi's "beetling" up and back down the Gorge....lamented loss, great food and views of the inner harbour from Rebecca's which used to be our favourite spot...since replaced by D'Arcy McGee's.

North and West Van...The Beach House at Dundarave Pier...sippin' some wine and enjoying ourselves why wondering...why do all those gortex and sunglassed wearing runners look so miserable when they are living in paradise? Mortgages? The absence of faucets flowing with '82 Petrus?

What about the Salmon House?..see that it is listed at Waiterblog...it is probably more than 15 years since we were last up Folkestone Way...remember thinking to myself that this was going to be a "tourist trap"...pleasantly surprised...great views provided by the tiered seating of Vancouver in the distance through the summer heat haze...a lot of Cdn wines [a good thing in my case]...alder smoked salmon.

Those would be some of this Albertan's suggestions....now have to head off to the office...nothing like a showerhead of '82 Petrus to get one in the right mood before the Xmas break

Have a good one all you eGullet'ers

Neil....

Thats it? I watched you make a waiter cry tonight, right before Christmas!

Obviously didn't sweep the front entrance out properly.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Biased agreement with Merlin on the Pointe Restaurant in Tofino - haha- otherwise I would recommend for casual Spinnakers Brew Pub in Victoria (just far enough away from downtown to avoid the crush, yet great views over the inner harbour with outstanding pub food - with all breads etc baked on site). In Vancouver, C comes to mind without a doubt, and even the Boathouse (?) in Horseshoe Bay has great views of the harbour with the ferries coming in. Otherwise, any restaurant with decent food within view of the water is a blessed thing whether that be the ocean, river or lake. Seasons Greetings to all from the wild west coast - may you and your families have a safe and peaceful holiday season.

Neil....

Thats it? I watched you make a waiter cry tonight, right before Christmas!

Obviously didn't sweep the front entrance out properly.

Hey, dirt does not take a holiday. But I must be softening in my old age, I did not fire anyone on Xmas Eve this year. :raz:

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Although I don't think much of the food or service, I love the patio at The Beach House in West Vancouver.

Always good to know that food and service don't enter into a "best of" discussion.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Although I don't think much of the food or service, I love the patio at The Beach House in West Vancouver.

Always good to know that food and service don't enter into a "best of" discussion.

I guess these two quotes sum up waterfront dining in Vancouver and kill this thread.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I was just stating a fact that I love to sip wine on the patio at this location. It is a great spot and no, I don't go for the food, I go for one of the best views in the Lower Mainland. I make no apologies for that.

Edited by winegeek (log)

Derek

I was just stating a fact that I love to sip wine on the patio at this location.  It is a great spot and no, I don't go for the food, I go for one of the best views in the Lower Mainland. I make no apologies for that.

Why are you apologizing?

I agree, I agree! Their is only one restaurant in Vancouver with a view that has good food/service.

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld

If we are talking about the view; then I must say the best view is Jericho sailing club, the food is pub style, the beer flows when needed, after a long and sweaty walk along one of the most beautiful bays in the world, or even better, a day of sailing a laser 2, on the trapeze doing 14 all afternoon, you really can use a beer and a chicken burger, slide up to the patio, grab a beer from inside and grab a seat on the deck, there is nothing like it except for maybe Jericho tennis or maybe RVYC those places are like wow, insider on Jericho tennis, they where giving good deals for their racket ball member ship.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I have had so many great experiences at jericho sailing club; it also is so accessasable, not like RVYC or Jericho tennis, borrow me a dollar sir?

I mean ten years of being a regular customer, you have a lot of experiences, sunsets, days of sailing, walking, football, mountain biking, god I love Vancouver.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

The Dockside Grill in the Granville Island Hotel--been there for lunch twice in the past month. Has one of the nicest water/Vancouver skyline/mountain views in town. The menu has wide choice range. Both times, I had the Cobb salad and it was fab! Others at the table had chili squid (yummy), and pasta dishes (huge and looked very good). Prices are reasonable--$10-16. Beer is also good, as there is a brew-pub.

This is a great place for lunch, especially on a sunny day. Dinner menu is pricier--haven't tried it.

what about the Cannery? You can't get much closer to the waterfront than a window seat there. And the food ain't too bad either.

plus you can now have the WHOLE restaurant to yourself :laugh: .

They are doing very little business according to a local source. Too bad :sad:

Derek

• 3 months later...

Can anyone name all the Oceanside restaurants on both shores? This isn't trivia, just getting stumped after five or so. I mean real oceanfront, on a beach, shore pier, etc.

Lift

Sequoia

Beach House

Carderos

C

Nu

Watermark

Bridges

What else is my Dimetapped brain missing?

Andrew Morrison

Monk Mcqueens

Sandbar

Arts Club Back Stage Lounge,

The place in the Granville Island Hotel

Can you tell I live in False Creek?

Does Malones on Kits Beach count?

What about that place by the yacht club as you are driving to Lions Bay?

Is that Seafood place that was on an old boat at Lonsdale Quay count?

What about that place upstairs at Lonsdale Quay overlooking the Water?

And there is a new little place in the space next to Stamps but I can never remember the name.

Oh, and lets not forget the Whitespot inside of Science World ; )

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza