• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen 2

JC will be the chef for part 2 according to press reports...ideal, he can teach the celebs how to look good while taking a restaurant bankrupt.... :sad: just kidding, I'm sure he'll swear alot too.

On another bit of news...Daniel Galmiche is taking over from Mark Dodson (of Waterside Head Chef fame) at Cliveden. Daniel is formerly of michelin starred L'Ortolan and signed up to 'celebrity chefs UK' booking agency - you can view their array of household names here

JC will be the chef for part 2 according to press reports...ideal, he can teach the celebs how to look good while taking a restaurant bankrupt.... :sad: just kidding,  I'm sure he'll swear alot too.

On another bit of news...Daniel Galmiche is taking over from Mark Dodson (of Waterside Head Chef fame) at Cliveden. Daniel is formerly of michelin starred L'Ortolan and signed up to 'celebrity chefs UK' booking agency - you can view their array of household names  here

i can see JC doing that quite well, bet circe will be desperate to get on that guest list!

the celebrity chef's? Household names? Certainly not in my house!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

I'm basing that opinion on the week I spent in his kitchens a while ago and his appearance on "The Games" a year or so ago. I think that fundamentaly he wants to be liked whereas Ramsay couldn't care less if he is or not. For a chef, JC strikes me as a little unfocused and not terribly good at confrontation.

Unless they change the format of Hell's Kitchen, he's going to have to try and force the contestants to do a lot of back breaking, tedious work which they will baulk at and I don't think he will have a strategy for dealing with that. From what I have seen of him, he just isn't the hard bastard chef, he hasn't got a big personality and he will only get so far on his charm.

JC will be the chef for part 2 according to press reports...ideal, he can teach the celebs how to look good while taking a restaurant bankrupt.... :sad: just kidding,  I'm sure he'll swear alot too.

On another bit of news...Daniel Galmiche is taking over from Mark Dodson (of Waterside Head Chef fame) at Cliveden. Daniel is formerly of michelin starred L'Ortolan and signed up to 'celebrity chefs UK' booking agency - you can view their array of household names  here

i can see JC doing that quite well, bet circe will be desperate to get on that guest list!

the celebrity chef's? Household names? Certainly not in my house!

cheers

gary

:biggrin:

I'd forgotten his appearance on The Games. Now, that was deeply humiliating: he's one of those men that really look much better wearing something other than a tight pair of shorts while doing gymnastic tasks. Maybe he needs a better agent. Still, it gives some of us a chance to catch up with pop culture - I had no idea who Abi and Jen were until the first series.

On another bit of news...Daniel Galmiche is taking over from Mark Dodson (of Waterside Head Chef fame) at Cliveden. 

Can anyone tell me where Mark Dodson is going? :smile:

Thanks!

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:laugh:

wow! its really entertaining!!!

£250,000 prize money!!!!! to start your own restaurant!!!!!

bloody hell!!! that dumps on Masterchef and in fact any other cooking competition!!!!

Hell I wish I got onto this program!!!

Although looks like they only wanted beginner cooks. :sad:

I very much doubt any of them are egulleteers :wink:

The contestants are the usual mixed bag of fruits, nuts and cookies.

Seems like Novelli is going for the carrot

and Rhodes is going for the stick.

Think I might have to watch this to the bitter end :laugh:

Henry is so going out!

he has no character and they have to keep the camp guy he so nice :wink:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Poor gary he seemed determined to stick with his tough guy persona. I'm sure his professional demeanor is not the cheeky tv chappy we all know, but at least JC was himself, buy it just didn't suit gary at all.

i'm sure i'll end up watching it but feel it is already lacking ramsay/sarge/angela.

could really care if its z listers or public taking part so that doesn't bother me but trying to build a rivalry between jc/gary?

oh well, it's not aimed 'us' i assume but just cheap tv so let it wash over and wait for the service which is the interesting part for me.

£250K to start your own place, total bollocks.These people want to be famous, not good chefs.Reality TV hype and nonsense.I lay a bet with anyone that whoever wins ends up presenting a cooking show on Cable TV, not grafting 14 hours a day in a kitchen.Service is the the good part of the show,seeing how the Head Chefs run their kitchen is very interesting.

Could you start your own place for £250k these days? Seems like a tall order to me. I agree that its seems unlikely that any of them would go on to open a restaurant.

I don't think Rhodes is coming across at all well and I hope he moderates his behaviour as the series progresses. At the moment its like a very bad Ramsay impersonation.

I'm rather confused about how you manage to take 10 people off the street and apparently that same day get them turning out 60 odd plates of what looked like quite complex food. I would have liked to understand more about what they were actually doing during service, but perhaps that will come to light later on.

Any thoughts on Laura "Ice Maiden" (Angus Deayton's words, not mine) Aikens?

Programme website

Any thoughts on Laura "Ice Maiden" (Angus Deayton's words, not mine) Aikens?

Programme website

i wondered if it was laura aikens, but i thought she was an aussie? sounded very english.

Certainly looked friendlier in hells kitchen than in her own place :laugh:

gary

ps i think they must have had at least a few days training before last night, the celebs did last time from memory.

i did audition for this show, but felt that my---shall we say exhuberant original personality--was not what they were looking for.

looking at the website i'm sooooooo glad that i wasn't chosen. ick.

but the contestants all look happy, so i hope they have a fun time. gary rhodes and jean-christophe novelli just look silly.

hey, i'm about food (okay, and lots of jokes) not about forumula, the website resembles the big brother website. pop idol.

i will give the audition team this though: they laughed at my jokes. they laughed so hard they fell off their chairs (ooops, or was that me?) and tears were flowing down cheeks.

and after all, an audience is an audience, even if its only 4 people, and only for 15 minutes.

x marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I too thought that Gary Rhodes was being unnecessarily harsh - and turning away people who were obviously hungry - that surely is not on! I feared for that girl's safety when she suggested that she'd come into the kitchen herself to get a meal for her and her friend.

I want Masterchef back!! (Though I am not sure about Torode and that Greg fella).

What do people think of the menus?

Gary's is typical Gary Rhodes 'Modern British' - a few of the dishes are ones he was knocking out on telly about 5 years ago.

Novelli's seems a touch on the pretentious side.... Front Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed on the day according to Jean-Christophe’s mood, celeriac root soft mash

anyone?

And what does 'Front braised' mean? And what if he's in a bad mood?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

What do people think of the menus?

Gary's is typical Gary Rhodes 'Modern British' - a few of the dishes are ones he was knocking out on telly about 5 years ago.

Novelli's seems a touch on the pretentious side.... Front Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed on the day according to Jean-Christophe’s mood, celeriac root soft mash

anyone?

And what does 'Front braised' mean? And what if he's in a bad mood?

it means the front leg rather than the rear one, if he's in a bad mood - you don't get it!

it used to be on his menu, sounds better in french as do most menus!

short odds on squeamish shaving and stuffing of said trotter at some point.

edit: just read the menus, JC definitely sounds better, i can see the discrepancy in orders now.

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)