• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The White Horse Sandwich

NulloModo

So, fifteen years or so ago, when having first moved to DE, I was introduced to the after thanksgiving joy known as the 'White Horse Sandwich'.

The basic White Horse consists of white bread, cold turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mayo, and (preferably hot) gravey. Now, I imagine this leftover sandwhich exists all over, and probably goes by a variety of names. So, my question for you is: What do you call your version of this beast, and what goes onto it?

Also, if anyone knows the origin of the name 'White Horse' for this sandwhich, I would love to hear it.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I use turkey, mayonnaise and a touch of cranberry sauce. I don't like to put stuffing on my sandwich, though, because it's just too much bread for me that way. I usually eat my first leftover turkey sandwich on the evening of Thanksgiving and then I just keep eating them until the turkey's all gone.

I've never heard it called a White Horse, though. Oh, and sometimes they're good with iceberg lettuce, too.

So, fifteen years or so ago, when having first moved to DE, I was introduced to the after thanksgiving joy known as the 'White Horse Sandwich'.

The basic White Horse consists of white bread, cold turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mayo, and (preferably hot) gravey.  Now, I imagine this leftover sandwhich exists all over, and probably goes by a variety of names.  So, my question for you is:  What do you call your version of this beast, and what goes onto it?

Also, if anyone knows the origin of the name 'White Horse' for this sandwhich, I would love to hear it.

I know them as "Pilgrim Sandwiches"

White sourdough bread, sliced roast turkey, stuffing, lettuce, cranberry aioli. no brown gravy, served with a garlicky dill pickle, and potato chips.

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

NM, is the hot gravy ladelled on top? Or spread like mayo inside the sandwich?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

NM, is the hot gravy ladelled on top? Or spread like mayo inside the sandwich?

I have seen them served both ways, although around my family the gravey was usually ladled inside the sandwhich... tending to run out all over one's chin with each bite taken.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Around my house, through the weekend after Thanksgiving at least, it was cold turkey, cold stuffing, cold gravy, real cranberry sauce and the piece de resistance, crisp iceburg lettuce.

Our name for it by Sunday was "not that again!"

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Gosh, these sandwiches sound amazing!  Would adding some crisp smoky bacon be considered gilding the lily?

It would work fine, I would just cut the sandwich in quarters though, at that point.

These things can get big. :laugh:

I've found that adding half the volume of stuffing to turkey, makes a good ratio. Use an airy bread for the sandwich bread.

Come to think of it, the stuffing really acts as an extra piece of bread, such as on a triple-decker.

woodburner

Wow, never knew it had a name. Maybe it's an Eastern thing (I'm from S. Francisco). It's my favorite part of Thanksgiving, since I cook the meal and am not too hungry by serving time. Usually turkey (dark), mayonnaise, lots of salt and pepper, cranberry, with gravy and stuffing on side, always in one of my homemade rolls. Sigh...that wasn't to be this year - BF's family didn't take to freshly baked rolls. Too weird, I suppose. They were used for duck feed, while the frozen Arnold dinner rolls (really just little round hot dog buns) were given center stage. And I didn't get any leftovers to take home! It's scrambled eggs and crackers for me tonight.

Wow, never knew it had a name.  Maybe it's an Eastern thing (I'm from S. Francisco).

Maybe, but I never heard of it before, either. I always thought it was just a sandwich with leftover turkey, and I would have had it on whole wheat, rye, maybe sour-dough bread, but definitely not supermarket white.

Michael aka "Pan"

What I had for dinner tonight:

Behold, the Thanksgiving Sandwich. Hot white meat turkey tossed in gravy, with warm New Orleans-style Cornbread Stuffing and Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce, on an Onion Roll.

gallery_2_4_1101704249.jpg

EAT ME!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I too was introduced to this sandwich when I first moved to DE (small world- er, small state- eh, Nullo?).

At Capriotti's, my favorite sub shop, they call it a Bobbie. Fresh turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and mayo. I crave it all year.

I went over to a friend's house for dinner this year so have no leftovers to enjoy (we had Coq Au Vin), but I'll add my version of the leftover Thanksgiving sandwich.

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy wrapped in a flour tortilla and lightly fried. Serve with more hot gravy on top (though I guess you could put cranberry sauce on it if you like).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Jason, I'm sure it tasted good, but that looks absolutely revolting! :blink:

I love the name White Horse Sandwich. No one else seems to call it that, but everyone knows what you're talking about. I think at some point an imaginative person took a look at the white bread, white turkey, white mayonnaise, etc. and invented a name. Great stuff. :smile:

Jason, I'm sure it tasted good, but that looks absolutely revolting!  :blink:

I can assure you, it tastes anything but revolting. Its probably one of the best uses for leftover turkey and thanksgiving accoutriments you can possibly have.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I can assure you, it tastes anything but revolting. Its probably one of the best uses for leftover turkey and thanksgiving accoutriments you can possibly have.

No knife, no fork, and no napkins in the picture :shock:

So, exactly how did this get from plate to mouth without making a huge mess? :raz:

No knife, no fork, and no napkins in the picture  :shock:

So, exactly how did this get from plate to mouth without making a huge mess?  :raz:

It didn't. Half of it didn't leave the plate, I had to come back and do battlefield cleanup with a fork.

I thought it was a give-me-some-now-good-looking sandwich myself! :laugh: But then mine didn't look that much different earlier.

We've never called it anything but turkey sandwich -- or maybe "the turkey sandwich!"

If gravy goes on the outside then it's an open-face turkey sandwich, to us, with turkey, dressing, cranberry in the middle and gravy ladled all around the relish pile on top of a piece of toasted bread.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

That sandwich looks like Tommy Tomato. Take a cherry tomato and slice it, horizontally, not too very deeply, as though cutting the mouth for a Muppet. (Sort of in half without actual decapitation.) Put two tiny dollops of soft butter, and with the tip of a knife or the tine of a fork, add two little eyes above the cut.

Hold the tomato by its newly cut "jaws," and say (in a high, squeaky voice): "My name is Tommy Tomato. I'm going to be siiiiiiick."

Then squeeze the tomato. It will look like it's puking.

Some things are better left to the imagination. :blink::laugh: And the description would have been appetizing, but something about having seen Tommy Tomato just makes it...unfortunate.

As far as a White Horse sandwich goes: who wants to eat Mister Ed?! I make a sandwich rather like the one you've described (Jinmyo: gravy spread like mayo, thinly, on the bread), but I never thought it had, or needed, a name. Note: I've lived in ten states (everywhere but the Pacific Northwest) and never heard reference to a White Horse sandwich.

BUT I LOVE THEM ANYWAY! :laugh:

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Tana, Jason's sandwich certainly looks like Tommy Tomato. But it also looks like it had a great sense of humour to it.

Too bad it had turkey in it. Feh.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I never knew it had a name either, but this is how I eat it. 2 slices white bread, thinly coated with mayo. Sprinkle lots of pepper and some salt on both pieces. Put a layer of turkey on one piece. Spread on a thin layer of cranberry jezebel sauce. Add more turkey. Coat this with a thin layer of mashed potatoes. Cover the other piece of bread with stuffing & top with gravy (hot or not, depends on my mood at the time) Smoosh together & eat. DELICIOUS ! I love carbs- can you tell ??

My fiancee made one, minus the cranberry sauce & added a layer of egg salad. I thought it would be too much, but it was really quite good. And he would only let me have one bite..

Today is going to be one of those days.....