• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All in the name . . .

KatieM

My favorite names from this thread are:

-sugarsugar

-Dulcita (or the other suggestion of Dulce--I was going to suggest that too, actually)

-katiecakes and katie bakes (both cute!)

-the cake box

-katie takes the cake

You could also try:

-butter

-sugar and spice

-buttercream bakery

damn now I want cake

Edited by Ling (log)

get it? kt said fast is katie

Many of my friends have been known to call me that.

I really like KatieCakes. It's short and to the point.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

a friend is naming her retail store...it's really hard to find just the right name.

that said - sugar (once)! is my favorite. if your brother joins you - you can be sugar and spice.

i like FFR's toot sweet also - it's cute.

more than picking something original or specifically cakey - i think you want a 2 -3 syllable name that people won't forget - and that isn't too hard to spell. more than 2 words and they'll never remember

what about:

ganache

fondant

buttercream/buttercream dreams

sugar plum

:rolleyes: fun!!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Sheesh! So many responses! I really have opened Pandora's Box, haven't I? I was a marketing major for Pete's sake. Why is this so darn hard for me?

KatieM,

It's not that Malone is not a "pretty" name, but it conjures up a vision of "cockles and mussles, alive alive-o" rather than cakes! (ducks and covers)

Ok, so now you know why I don't want to have Malone in the name! :laugh: People have called me Molly more times than I can count!

that said - sugar (once)! is my favorite. if your brother joins you - you can be sugar and spice.

This is an intriguing idea! I really like the one word, two syllable thing, and I love how it could easily be turned into a sweet/savory thing with the addition of my brother.

Of course, I also like the alliteration in Buttercream Bakery or Buttercream Dreams

katiecakes Ok. So people have been trying to get me to name my cake business this since it started. I don't really know why I've objected so much, but maybe it's because people always giggle when they suggest it. They think it's SOOO cute. And I try to explain to them that I don't necessarily WANT cute, that I want people to take me seriously. I may have to give in, though. If enough people keep suggesting it, it's clearly what the public wants! :rolleyes:

I've decided against anything with the word "custom" in the name. Turns out there's already a special occasion cake business in town with custom in the name. Of course, this guy apparently also does faux painting. On walls. Kind of a weird business if you ask me. Good for him though, I guess.

I guess I've also decided against heliotrope, even though I love it. Turns out (from my casual poll of my friends and family) that not enough people would "get" it. It IS considered a bakery scent by the perfume industry, but I guess that isn't common knowledge. :hmmm:

And I'd love to do something with a Danish name, but so far I haven't been able to find an appropriate Danish word that is easily pronounced or spelled by the general population. The Danish language is very gutteral and difficult to pronounce, so I don't want to use something that would make people afraid to call me (afraid of mispronouncing the name).

Soooo. Back to square one?

Maybe we should take a vote. Here are the names I'm seriously considering. Please don't be offended if one of your suggestions isn't listed! I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit.

Sugar ( maybe sugar and spice later on)

katiecakes

kakes (even though my mom will disown me)

Buttercream Dreams/Buttercream Bakery

Ambrosia (even though there are 30,000 other places named this)

Theobroma (used less than ambrosia, but still quite a lot)

Something in Danish (can't find my Danish/English dictionary right now. If I find something suitable, it may work)

Please vote for only one, if you can. And thanks again for all your help everyone!

Also, any new suggestions will still be appreciated.

Thanks again everyone! Oh. And sorry for the ridiculously long post.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

I like kakes and Buttercream Dreams. I'm really not fond of katiecakes. It's seems preschoolish to me. I can't see many men buying cakes from a place called katiecakes. Does that make sense?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I like the idea for sugar too, or something one-worded like that. But I also really like the Danish idea. Sugar is sukker in Danish, I personally don't think it sounds unappetizing. I guess it could be weird, if people somehow connoted it with a pejorative use, like "you sucker" or something. Maybe you could do a Danish word and the English word, like sukker/sugar or sugar=sukker... that could be cool with a nice graphic design. Also, sweet is sod in Danish (the o has that line going through it, I don't know how to type it in, sorry)-- that could be interesting too.

:smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

How about Take the Cake.

I think Buttercream Dreams is a bit cutesey- but I guess it depends on the culture of the city.

I like Sugar too

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

"Kate's Cake Pound" as kind of a spoof on pound cake.

What do you think of "Sweet Tooth"?

How about "Frosting" or "Icing"?

Along the same lines, "Frost the Cake" or "Kate Ices Slices"?

"The Batter Bowl"? Or, more simply, "Batter"?

How about "Rise Like a Dream" or "High as a Cake"? It's getting late.

You could call yourself "The Layer Slayer". And set out to spread your "Flour Power" like icing over the land.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Flour Power is VERY cool and works on a few different levels.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love the misspelled Kakes etc but has anyone dialed 411 lately?? I was trying to get the number for my friends new place Kevin's Thyme cute except for waiting for a live operator to explain how it was spelled...she thought it was cute too

now if he just hires me.......

tracey

someday......... owner of

TRAYS

take out dinners of course

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Another vote for Sugar (or all lowercase, either way).

The name doesn't limit you to just cakes if you're making other sweet items, it's easy to say, not too cute, and gives you a ton of options for identity design.

I have to say I don't quite get the number of votes for Sugar as a name. Pastry/Cake shops should have romantic and evocative names (Buttercream Dreams) unless they are going to be very minimalist with graphic styles to match ( "kakes").

Since so much of a pastry shop's business is based on impulse sales a name like sugar which cries sweet! (with no romantic feel) would enable those who "really shouldn't" to resist even going in the door.

Perhaps for a candy store...

I know that this doesn't address the potential savory component but sometimes you can't be all things under one name unless you're a cafe.

I have to say I don't quite get the number of votes for Sugar as a name. Pastry/Cake shops should have romantic and evocative names (Buttercream Dreams) unless they are going to be very minimalist with graphic styles to match ( "kakes").

Since so much of a pastry shop's business is based on impulse sales a name like sugar which cries sweet! (with no romantic feel) would enable those who "really shouldn't" to resist even going in the door.

Perhaps for a candy store...

I know that this doesn't address the potential savory component but sometimes you can't be all things under one name unless you're a cafe.

This is a good point, but I guess I should clarify something again. I do not have a shop (yet). Right now everything I do is out of my house, and I'm working on the health code stuff since I just moved. The laws are different here in Illinois, so I'm trying to figure them out. Also, most of my business right now is through word of mouth, so I should probably be mostly concerned about how it sounds when someone recommends me. They'll be saying, "You should get your cake from ______, she does incredible work!" Of course, that's what I HOPE they'll be saying! :wink: That's why I wanted something that is one word, easy to remember, easy to pronounce, etc.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about how to incorporate my brother later on. Who knows what kind of business it will be? And I could always have something in the window that indicates that my cakes are done out of the same place.

Here's some of the names of other places in town that might eventually be my competition, if that helps at all:

Sweet Indulgence

Cake Artists Studio

Mirabella

I feel like hitting my head with a hammer right now. Why is this so ridiculously difficult?

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall