• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate covered things

torakris

I just ran across these:

http://www.e-royce.com/servlet/product?item=920

chocolate covered potato chips.....

why would someone do this???? :blink:

I also recently had the joy of eating chocolate covered gummies, I couldn't spit it out fast enough.

for the record, I also hate chocolate covered pretzels....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Chalk it up to my demented Asian tastebuds, but I actually think that chocolate covered potato chips taste great! On a romantic getaway weekend a few years ago, we stumbled across a hand-dipped version of these in a small-town sweet shop. They were half white chocolate, half dark. Rippled chips, of course, with a much thicker chocolate coating than the ones shown in your attached link. I guess we decided to try them because of our morbid fascination with weird taste combinations; surprisingly enough, they were delicious! It probably has to do with that whole Asian desire for the sweet/salty taste dichotomy... mind you, my husband is caucasian and he liked them too.

On the other hand, I think chocolate covered pretzels are revolting. The chunks of salt are too big and overpower the chocolate taste. At a local health food store, they've also been selling pretzels coated in either strawberry yogurt or peanut butter. Blecch to the nth degree. :blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I really like chocolate covered potato chips, pretzels, and pretty much anything else that will sit long enough to take tempered chocolate.

Scharffen Berger recently started selling some great chocolate covered ginger. These things are awesome. It is candied ginger covered in unsweetened chocolate. John Scharffenberger says they tried it with sweetened chocolate and it amplified the ginger heat so they opted for the unsweetened, which sort of mutes the ginger balancing the flavors.

I love chocolate dipped potato chips. But you need a substantial chip in order to get the good ratio of chip to chocolate. Of course, I also like to dip my potato chips in lemon yogurt. :hmmm:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Marmalade isn't a particular favorite of mine, but I do like chocolate dipped candied orange peel -- sublime.

I experimented with something awhile ago. Cheese stuffed dates dipped in chocolate and tipped in crushed almonds, my guests raved over them. :wacko:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Marmalade isn't a particular favorite of mine, but I do like chocolate dipped candied orange peel -- sublime.

Oh, that's another favorite of mine. When I was little, my aunt would put it out every year at Thanksgiving. I would take the bowl and hide in a bedroom and eat the whole thing :shock: . One year I got caught, but instead of being scolded I was given a box to take home. :smile:

Unfortunately, I married a man who loves them as much as I do. This means if they're in the house they have to be shared. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How about these tasty treats: chocolate-covered pork rinds?

I like the contrast between sweet chocolate and salty pretzels or potato chips, but this is carrying low-carb madness to ridiculous depths.

(p.s. I know eGullet has an agreement with Amazon, but I'm not sure how to set up the link -- perhaps one of the admins can fix this?)

Edited by chile_peppa (log)
"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I don't know if i could eat this sober.

Dasha prods the 's' shaped chocolate bar in front of her. _40295251_salo203.jpg

You can understand why she's in no rush to eat it - the Ukrainian student has just been served pork fat covered in chocolate.

Chocolate salo: Salty on the inside, sweet on the outside

"It's salty on the inside and very sweet on the outside. It's unusual yes, but it's completely disgusting," says Dasha Khabarova.

Forget deep-fried Mars bar. One of the unhealthiest snacks in the world can now be found in Ukraine.

For years people here have loved pork fat, known as salo.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Dark chocolate makes almost anything better. One of the more exotic things I've had of late are chocolate covereed red peppercorns from Barcelona's Cacao Sampaka - Magnificent!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I really like chocolate covered potato chips, pretzels, and pretty much anything else that will sit long enough to take tempered chocolate.

I love chocolate covered pretzels, and if offered chocolate covered potato chips, I would probably eat the entire bag.

I saw the post about the Chocolate covered pork fat -- and while that does sound disgusting, the possibility of chocolate covered crispy BACON sounds extremely seductive.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, it's not "pure" chocolate, but sticking with the sweet/salty combo, I used to love to eat french fries dipped in a chocolate milk shake (picture this--McDonald's fries dipped in a Wendy's frosty) Granted, this was about 25 years ago, but the fond memory still remains...and I see nothing wrong with chocolate dipped potato chips!

We also used to go ape for the frozen bananas covered in Chocolate when we would drive through Michigan every summer on our family vacations.

chocolate brazil nuts - very very nice, but not sure which is nicer by themselves

chocolate covered turkish delights - much better without the chocolate

cream caramels - with or without the chocolate ?

chocolate liquers ? :rolleyes:

i love chocolate peanuts

We also used to go ape for the frozen bananas covered in Chocolate when we would drive through Michigan every summer on our family vacations.

OMG! Someone else remembers these! I don't know how that started but they were the summer thing when I was a teen living outside Detroit. :laugh:

Not to neglect personal odd chocolate covered experiences in TX . . .

When we were kids we were actually given some of these chocolate covered bugs :blink: (probably a different company :wink:) for Christmas one year. They came in a little clear box, candy squares wrapped in pretty colored foil, clearly labelled as Chocolate Covered Ants, Baby Bees, Grasshoppers. And yes, as I remember it we all tried at least one of something. :laugh: They were similar to those mini Krackle bars. Won't that make you think next time you bite into one of those. :raz:

Carolyn, I just noticed your post on the ants. I found a bunch of recipes for these little treats too while looking for a link. :blink:

And how about chocolate tequila bombs? Liquid centers.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

So, Torakris, you don't buy those chocolate covered kaki-no-tane?

I do like chocolate covered coffee beans, and was sad when they went off the market, but now I see there are imported versions.

A real coffee bean in chocolate is not only tasty, it's a good thing to gnash teeth on when working!

And I though I was the only person in the world who doesn't care for chocolate-covered strawberries . I like non-acidic fruits with chocolate however: bananas..mmmmmmm! I made frozen chocolate-covered bananas on a stick for my birthday bash a few years ago. Rolled them in candy, nuts and/or coconut.

last winter I went to chocolate school and did carmels with chocolate and topped with sea salt.. loved it!

also did a solid red pepper jelly stick( like the old orange ones) in chocolate..

chocolate dipped red chili peanut brittle..

I quess living in Italy I get cravings for some of the old American favorites..

but here is my Wild Boar in Chocolate sauce!!!

Sort of a Tuscan Mole!

Kris,

have you always disliked chocolate covered things, or is it since you moved overseas? Has your taste change any since living in Japan? I know that I for one would probably acquire new tastes, but NEVER give up the sweet/salty together cravings that I have.

Chocolate covered crysallized ginger is pretty damn good. You can get it at some gourmet chocolate shops. I know Bon Bon on Clark in Chicago used to have the best I'd found while I was living there. You'll find Bon Bon in Andersonville just off Clark and Balmoral. While you're there try the ginger Buddhas as well. Yum.